High performance boat diesels | FerrariChat

High performance boat diesels

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by BoulderFCar, Feb 6, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BoulderFCar

BoulderFCar F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Asheville, NC/Ft Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom
    #1 BoulderFCar, Feb 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I'm going through survey information on a boat. The diesels are pretty amazing.

22L V12. 1550HP at 2300RPM. Built to run 2000RPM for 10000 hours which is like running your car to flat out for a long time. they use a little fuel when they are on the boil but still.

4 Turbos on each motor and two aftercoolers. 4 valve heads and common rail injection.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. rboost

rboost Karting

Nov 4, 2005
    Santa Clara, Ca
    Full Name:
    Reiny B
    We used to put these in Pershing's when we were the dealer for them...they are amazing...what boat are they in?

3. BoulderFCar

Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Full Name:
    Tom
    A Viking. 90000lb and it runs 46mph on the pins. A tournament waterski boat is 36MPH.
    Pretty amazing.

4. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    #4 cheesey, Feb 8, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2015
    when considering a pre owned diesel powered boat, look closely at year model of the engines... a diesel is no longer a just a diesel... in recent years fuel / engine management systems are playing a large role with respect to fuel consumption and performance. The new sophisticated systems reduce fuel consumption / expense by a large margin... causing prices for boats without the new engine management systems to be soft in price... also making buying the new engines more affordable by having a faster payback in low fuel costs... or in a low use situation it can be a buying opportunity

Do the math first, decide what your boat usage will be... become informed... also applies to generators... generators can consume more fuel than main engines... fuel costs are high way back in the day we could get a 1000 gal for $250, now it could cost $4,000-$5,000

the typical designed service life of a diesel engine is 10,000 hours... don't be overly impressed it's a standard

5. BoulderFCar

Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Full Name:
    Tom
    #5 BoulderFCar, Feb 10, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2015
    Fuel is the easiest expense to track but there isn't what I would call a "huge" difference in consumption per 100hp. It's maybe 5-10% on a less sophisticated CAT vs a common rail MAN. The service costs on a MAN are 30-40% higher. You'll not cover the delta in total costs with fuel savings even at $5/gallon in the Bahamas.

I think the biggest difference on the are the social issues. The common rails have virtually no smoke, run smoother, tend to be quieter and don't have injector services at $1K per injector.

6. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Not really a valid comparison. A tournament inboard will run 46-48 flat out. 36 is just the tow speed for a slalom event. But more importantly they only run 46 flat out because they are geared at 1:1 with a prop that is designed for the hole shot.

7. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    Apples to cannonballs. A Skater 388 will run 200+ mph with 1550 hp a side.

8. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    For info I have a smaller version of the man common rail engine (900hp V8 2007 model)in my boat and they are fantastic VERY clean burning and pretty much like a german car runs great but you need to keep up the service which is a little more costly but my experience over the past 7 years is having the reliability and clean burning is worth it..I bought the boat new and have maintained it according to factory requirements.
    and Viking are fantastic boats best of luck

9. BoulderFCar

Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Larry, I continue to be impressed with the performance. I've put almost 100hrs on the boat since Feb. Most of it at cruise speed. I can run for a long day and not have one trace of soot on the transom. Thus far, I've only had to replace one sensor that was a little flakey. $182 and 10 minutes of work. 35lbs of boost and they just cruise.

The CR900's are great.
    I was really hesitant on the MAN's but they've grown on me.

10. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    had a 76' custom (Hatteras look alike) with a pair of 3550hp diesels that would do 76knots... not all that fast these days when bigger boats with turbine assistance and surface piercing props easily top out well over 100knots while having martinis served at the bar... captains and general crew are easy hires, while a high quality chef and staff are a very difficult rare find :=)

11. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    ?

Show us a 100 knot boat with a bar.

Or a pic of a 76 foot boat that can do 76 knots.

12. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface