High Mileage on a 400? | FerrariChat

High Mileage on a 400?

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by KraigG, Nov 6, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KraigG

KraigG Formula 3

May 25, 2006
    Willow Springs
    Full Name:
    Kraig
    As my odometer just turned over 62,000 miles this past Sunday on the way to an Italian/French car show (Jay Leno was even there!), I wondered how many others have "high" mileage Ferraris.

I've been using mine as my daily driver for the past 2 months, since the weather's perfect, and it's not raining-yet.

So, how about it? Alex?

2. Joe Bergmann

Joe Bergmann Karting

Oct 24, 2005
    Shoreview, Minnesota
    Full Name:
    Joe Bergmann
    I've got 105,000 kilometers on my 1978 400GT.

3. KraigG

KraigG Formula 3

May 25, 2006
    Willow Springs
    Full Name:
    Kraig
    So, that's around 65,200 miles.

4. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
    Mine has just over 120,000 km on the clock or 69,500 miles roughly.

5. KraigG

KraigG Formula 3

May 25, 2006
    Willow Springs
    Full Name:
    Kraig
    Exactly one month later, and I just turned over 63,000 miles. Averaging 1000 miles per month.

Only expense for the month was 2 quarts of Mobil 1, and lots of fuel!

6. FSC-Mike

FSC-Mike Rookie

Apr 4, 2004
    Newport Beach, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Mike Grieco
    A very good customer and friend had 106k miles on his 400i when he left it with me for 2 yrs. while he traveled. I gave it back with 110k miles 5yrs. ago and he is still driving it from Morrow Bay to L.A. and O.C. The only problem I had was on the way home from Parker, Az. I made it from Newport Beach to Parker in 3hrs. and 10 minutes and was determined to do under 3hrs. on the way home. The C.H.P. wanted to know why I was going 125mph on Rice Road in the middle of the night. His jaw dropped when I told him I needed to beat my 3hr 10min trip. Wrote me up for 86mph and no trip to jail.

7. ed_and_tonny

ed_and_tonny Karting

Aug 4, 2006
    Pawleys Island, SC
    Full Name:
    Ed Quillian
    I'm half heartedly pursuing a potential purchase on an 83 with 122K ?? not sure at this point if it's miles or kilometers?

8. billg

billg Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2006
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill Grady
    My advice would be, if you're halfhearted about it, don't do it. Unless of course you are the rare person who would become enthusiastic after buying the car. These things are truly wonderful machines and, because they are essentially the Ferrari hardly anybody wants due to the automatic transmission, they are often neglected and we wind up losing yet another one.

9. ed_and_tonny

ed_and_tonny Karting

Aug 4, 2006
    Pawleys Island, SC
    Full Name:
    Ed Quillian
    Good advice. I'm halfhearted more because it is black on black and the dash, rear deck, and driver seat need replacing. The owner reports most everything working properly but does acknowledge the hydraulic levelers are going to need attention. This only becomes a potential deal if the price gets REALLY good and a pre-inspection turns out favorably. Of course if the mileage is really 120K miles then it's probably a no deal; just too risky at that point.

10. aleventhal

aleventhal Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2005
    Millbrook, NY
    Full Name:
    Alexander Leventhal
    Only 50k miles on mine, but I am working on making that alot higher!

Unfortunately, it is out of commission for a couple of weeks after my wife backed into it with her Audi. :(

Alex

11. KraigG

KraigG Formula 3

May 25, 2006
    Willow Springs
    Full Name:
    Kraig
  12. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Kraig

Congratulations on your car! With 63,000 miles, it isn't a garage queen and that is probably a good thing as these cars work much better if they are driven regularly.

BTW, your car was advertised for sale by Lake Forest Sports Cars in Chicago in August of 2001 with 45,000 miles on it, so it has been well exercised in the past 5 years.

Enjoy!

John

13. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    My 365 is around 66k miles now.

14. KraigG

KraigG Formula 3

May 25, 2006
    Willow Springs
    Full Name:
    Kraig
    John:

Yes, and it was also sold by LFSC in the mid 90s. I bought it out of New York in May 2006 with 59,000 miles on it, and it's running better now than it did the day I got it.

Knowing what I do now about Ferraris, I would tend to shy away from so-called "low mileage" cars, as these cars need to be driven regularly!

15. KraigG

KraigG Formula 3

May 25, 2006
    Willow Springs
    Full Name:
    Kraig
    Just turned over 64,000 miles today. Took longer than usual to put on that last 1000 miles because the 400 was in the shop for 3 weeks around Christmas/New Year.

Got an oil change, new plugs/wires, and discovered that I had a 512bbi cap on the car, and some of the wires were not connected correctly. Got that straightened out, new front brakes, and a few other little problems. Car is running the best it ever has now!