High asking price for a 250 pf? | FerrariChat

High asking price for a 250 pf?

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by clair, Nov 11, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. clair

clair Karting

Jan 16, 2006
    Hi there,
    Does anybody think the price is a little high at almost $260,000 USD for a seriesII pf coupe?

http://www.racecar.co.uk/250swb/index.htm

Does this mean that the prices in Britan are considerably higher than American cars?

send me your thoughts,
    thanks,
    Clair

2. BarnFound330

BarnFound330 Karting

Feb 1, 2005
    Pleasanton, Ca
    Full Name:
    Vince Bobba
    In my humble opinion....it means they are asking around $125-150K too much, and not much else. Let's see if/when it sells, but their prices are always with the highest. Vince

3. Tahoe Guy

Tahoe Guy Karting

Jan 16, 2006
    Vancouver, WA
    Full Name:
    Alexander Everhart
    I agree with Vince, Paul Baber tends to be on the high side on prices. But if my memory serves me correct, Paul has had this car for a few months now and 6 months ago the British Pound was just over 1.72 per the US Dollar.

As of Friday at market close the Pound was at 1.9105. That is a big conversion difference in 6 months. Obviously they are not going to lower their prices becaue the USD is lower, nor would people in the US raise prices because the Dollar has lost so much value over the last 6 months.

Bottom line though, even at 1.72 to the USD Paul still seems to be high. In more ways than one :).

4. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    The car has been with Paul B for just about one week.

5. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    Prices are often higher in the UK than the US. Historically this has been due to the smaller number of right-hand-drive cars made (RHD is typically less than 10% of total production) and the greater toll that UK weather conditions took on early cars (rust and slippery roads) in the days before they were treated as collectible assets.

In recent years, even LHD cars are more expensive in the UK. In part, the rapid increase in personal wealth since the 1990's, particularly in the financial district of London, has created many new collectors with the means to buy exclusive cars.

6. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    The car belongs (or did recently) to someone who posts here.

Regards,

Art S.

7. greg512tr

greg512tr Formula Junior
    Owner

Feb 19, 2002
    Dallas TX
    Full Name:
    Greg B
    With only 353 built (maybe 100 left), 2 seater, first "production" Ferrari, elegant lines, and same motor as the big money 250's, it is much easier for me justify a 250 PF coupe at $260k than it is a current production car like a F430 spyder. Although $260k for a 250PF is probably higher than the current market now, when compared with muscle car prices it doesn't seem like that much of a stretch. I am biased of course:)

Sports Car Market had an interesting comment that vintage Ferrari's are getting back to "lobster pricing", where market price changes daily.

8. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    So what is correct pricing for a 250 PF Coupe in the US?

9. MJarrettR

MJarrettR Formula 3

Apr 14, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Jarrett Rothmeier
    Personal opinion only, but I think you'll probably see PF Cabriolets, especially SI's in good shape, going for $500k + in a couple years.

-Jarrett

10. MJD

MJD Rookie

Nov 2, 2006
    S1 PF Cabs are safely above $1 mil and have been for a year or so and a good S2 PF Cab is around $350k.

A correct PF Coupe should be $150-175k

11. greg512tr

greg512tr Formula Junior
    Owner

Feb 19, 2002
    Dallas TX
    Full Name:
    Greg B
    Series 1 PF Cabs are already $1MM. Did you mean Series 1 PF Coupes?

12. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    Those poor cars were unwanted dogs a few years ago- the ones that weren't cannablized for fake 250 somethings. Famous last words, but I think it is overpriced.
    Then again, series II Pf cabs were pretty cheap until 2 or 3 years ago, as were 275 GTS- which were not as sexy as the earlier or later versions. Then again, I passed on a periscopa for 95k and a 275GTB/4 for 375k not so many years ago, so, like the guy that almost signed the Beatles, my advice may be conservative, if not wrong.
    PS- just looked at the link. Wasn't there a completely restored one at Gstaad a couple years ago for big money?

13. MJarrettR

MJarrettR Formula 3

Apr 14, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Jarrett Rothmeier
    Sorry, slip of the finger, should have read "SII". Wouldn't surprise me at all if a good PF Coupe jumped above $250K.

-Jarrett

14. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Can you say sleeper? I have always blown my horn about these horribly undervalued cars. Come on for crying out loud these are the cars that provided the link between the Boano and Ellena cars and the 330 GTC.
    I have nothing against the GTE or the 330GT, in fact I hope to have a 330 in my garage by spring. But in reality these are freeking 2+2 cars. The 250PF Coupe is a real front engined, V12, 2 Place, GT Car. Add pretty low production numbers and I think it is inevitable that these cars rise in value.
    This particular car may be a bit overpriced but maybe its time for some more PF Coupe movement. I'm excited.

15. Jay_GTB

Jay_GTB Karting
    BANNED

Oct 5, 2005
    Chicago Area
    Full Name:
    Jay Beale
    Three years ago this would have been a $60k car. Where will it be three years from now? Maybe estimating where it will be three years from now will make today's asking price seem rasonable.

Jay

16. ggjjr

ggjjr Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    George
    I'm sorry, but prices like this make me think that I will be looking for a new Ferrari for my next purchase. They just don't seem worth these prices. Even less so when you factor that above a certain price you will not want to drive your older car.

George

17. GTSguy

GTSguy Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Appreciation of the PF Coupe is rare. So too taste. This so-called 'sleeper' is one of Pinnin Farina's great designs. Those who miss this will never understand. Perhaps they need dollars to explain what is good or bad? Those who own this car show their sense of history, taste and value.

18. Ed_Long

Ed_Long Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Salem, Oregon USA
    Full Name:
    Ed Long
    I am curious to see if there is some consensus among us as to how to best advertise/market such a car these days?
    * Monterey auction
    • Barrett-Jackson auction
    • place an ad here
    • place an ad in Ferrari Market Letter
    • consignment with a consignment company
    * put a for-sale sign on it and leave it in the Wal-Mart parking lot

Any others?

Just curious as to the pros and cons of the different methods of market.
    Ed

19. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    Hi Ed. The FML is a good bet.

john

20. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

I second the Market Letter idea. This will eliminate most of the tire kickers and the curious. It will also keep unwanted hands off of your car.

21. PAUL BABER

PAUL BABER Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    London. UK.
    Full Name:
    Paul Baber
    Not trying to use this forum as an advertising platform but I think it's rather unfair for all to pass opinion on this car without having seen or driven it. I have had a few over the past 30 years and this is definitely the best I have come across...Sorry JV, I really think it is. 10 years ago I wouldn't have been able to ask more than US$50,000 for the car but markets move. You want to buy an outside plug 250 Tipo V12 with 2 seats but can't stretch to a Lusso US$375,000 today or in your dreams a 250 SWB..... I think the car is very good value and will increase. It is sadly aided by the fact that so many of the production have been broken for spares and replicas over the years......... I do have the car on consignment but I am not being dictated to by a greedy owner. I advised the price and I am confident the car will sell. Just personal opinion but I believe there are 3 'Sleepers' out there........ 250 PF coupes, 330/365 GTC's and 288 GTO's. Time will tell.

22. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    I agree with you, Paul.

john