Hidden Subs | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Hidden Subs

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by MarcR, Aug 22, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Well we should probably take this offline, but Rob Lay (who has been extremely gracious) has assured me that I will not get into trouble by answering direct questions from FChat members. If you could pop both panels out and send me pictures of what's behind there, I should be able to ascertain whether the mini subwoofer will fit. To double check, I could give you a couple of measurements to also check. If this works, you will receive two mini subs and two adapter plates free of charge. Additionally, if you could remove one of the side panels (the same panels shown in the aforementioned video) and verify that the same "shelf" exists on either side with enough room for one of the Mosconi mini amplifiers, I'll send you an amplifier for free as well. Then we'll both have everything we need to make this a reality.
    This is what I love about this website - FChatters helping each other!

2. HX_Guy

HX_Guy Karting

Jun 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Val B
    That’s great and very appreciated! Will send you a DM!

3. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #28 SoftwareDrone, Sep 23, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
    Lots of progress on this project. HX is a true gem and has been invaluable. Thank you to HX!
    We have learned how to safely and correctly remove the panels that need to be removed in order to remove the actual C-pillar panels (the ones that hold the OEM rear speakers). We have also verified that the new mini sub will physically fit . However, the cavity that is behind the panel is tilted at an angle and in an offset position. So to figure out the dimensions that the speaker adapter plate needs to be tilted and offset, I plan to put modeling clay into the cavity and press the panel into its correct position, creating an impression of the back of the panel onto the clay. Once I get these two impressions 3D scanned, we can do the rest in Auto CAD.
    There are a couple of exotic auto wreckers about two hours from my home, that are less than 10 miles apart from each other. One outfit has both of these panels. The other outfit has a gutted Italia. I have a good relationship with both of these places, so I asked the outfit with the panels if I could borrow them for the afternoon, and I asked the outfit with the gutted Italia if I could make a couple of clay impressions. I'm waiting on the response from the panel outfit. The other outfit said no problem. So if the stars align, I may have enough data to create a CAD rendering of the adapter plates needed by this Friday. Once I have that, it's just a matter of getting the adapter plates 3D printed the same as I did for the 458 Spider plates.

Regarding the side panels (behind the seats), we have verified that the same ultra slim Morel speakers I use in the Scuderia kick panels can fit behind those side panels. Once I design adapter plates for those, I'll put together a kit that consists of four mini subs (two in the back, two in the side) and a small amplifier to drive them.

Stay tuned! :)

twcferrari likes this.
  4. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Very productive day yesterday at the auto wrecker.
    We had a gutted Italia to work with. We started by making clay impressions of the area that is on each side of the rear window. We lined each cavity with foil, filled with clay, pressed the rear panel into place, removed the panel, then carefully pulled the clay out. The impressions are now at the 3D scanning outfit. The resulting Auto CAD files will show us exactly how to shift and tilt the mini subs so that they will fit into the cavity. We already have renderings of both the speaker and what the speaker will mount to (from the 458 Spider hidden subwoofer project) and have all of the necessary measurements from the rear panels. We'll create adapter plates in CAD, then 3D print them.

For the side panels, if you remove the center section from the panel, you can see that there is plenty of room for the Morel 6 1/2" woofer. The only problem is that the OEM center section is much too thin for the speaker to fit depth-wise. So we are 3D scanning the center section, then creating similar sections (deeper) that will accommodate the speaker. They will be wrapped in fabric instead of leather (just like the center sections of the JBL equipped Italias).

The complete kit will consist of two 4" mini subwoofers and two 6 1/2" subwoofers (that go even lower, to 50 hz). The surface area of these speakers combined will be more than a 10" subwoofer, so these will provide plenty of bass while being completely hidden.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. HX_Guy

HX_Guy Karting

Jun 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Val B
    Awesome work Mike! Love this project, and especially excited about the Morel speakers in the side panels!

6. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Sorry for the extended delay, but we were stumped. We were told that the 4" subwoofers would fit into the cavity and that the rear panels could be snapped into place over them. However, having an Auto CAD drawing of the clay impression and an Auto CAD rendering of the 4" subwoofer, we could not see how it could possibly fit. We thought that the 3D scanning outfit screwed up the dimensions of the clay impression. So we took a day and drove back to Sacramento with a 4" subwoofer and a rear cover, and.... it doesn't fit. Not even close (see attached image). So now we're experimenting with a rectangular 3" subwoofer that basically goes as low in frequency as the 4" sub. As an added bonus, the adapter plate might end up being less expensive. Will keep you posted on this.
    The side panels project will have to wait as it is almost $2,000.00 just to 3D scan the two parts, plus another $1000.00 for the Auto CAD work and then another $1,000.00 for 3D printed prototypes.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    This is amazing and I’m ready to purchase a system for my non-JBL 458 Italia. How has the progress gone? Is a complete system available now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Sorry for the delay.
    I've actually sold almost 50 complete systems for Italias.
    Most folks purchase a subwoofer system, DSP amplifier, component speakers and tweeter pods. For Italia owners that want even more bass, they add the hidden subs in the rear side panels. The 458 Spider owners that want more bass opt for either the dual 8" subwoofer system, the Spider hidden subwoofer system, or both.
    PM me for details, or just go to www.scuderiaaudio.com and look in the Italia section. Feel free to call me or send me a note from the contact page. Thanks

Chizz likes this.
  9. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
    Your work is stellar! Now get busy on something for the F8!

AD211 likes this.
  10. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thank you for the nice compliments!! :)
    I actually have shipped out 4 Tributo and 3 F8 Spider systems already. The reason I don't have pictures of these systems on my website is because of an administrative snafu. For the moment, if you want to see what the F8 Spider sub woofer looks like, look at the attached image but with the same sub as my 488 GTB box (from my website). The Tributo system is virtually identical to the 488 GTB system as well.
    The F8 models have so little room in the cabin that the only high end sub that will fit is the Focal Utopia Sub (which is a thousand dollars, not including the grill!). Therefore, the cost of the F8 Spider and Tributo are similar to the 488 GTB. Also, a dual subwoofer system is available for the F8 Spider. Please can me or PM for details.

Sent from my SM-G955U using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Chizz and AD211 like this.