HI Mondial chatters | FerrariChat

HI Mondial chatters

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by F1 MONZA, Jun 28, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F1 MONZA

F1 MONZA Formula Junior

Sep 6, 2004
    California
    Full Name:
    John
    hi Mondial chatters,

need some advise seeking to buy a 1985 red tan convertible Mondial. with 20,000 miles, all books and records. the seller is asking $55,000??

is the price fair for todays market. any majior problems with this year ?

thanks
    john

2. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Very high!!!

3. rfking

rfking Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Italy
    Let me put it this way - For $55,000 you can buy my 1988 Red/Tan Convertible Mondial with 21,000 miles that gets driven daily and I suspect is in better condition. I think that price for the 85 is high.

4. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    $55K for a 3.2? Are prices rising that fast, or is this a bit unrealistic? A couple years ago when I was looking at Mondials, 3.2s were in the mid to high 30's not 50's.

Birdman

5. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Not even a 3.2, a QV!

Put it this way: If you are willing to pay 55,000 for an 85 Mondial, I will sell you my nice Mondial 8 for 25,000 right now! Think of all the money you will save.

Seriously, no way. That is a 30,000 car. TOPS!!

But, do look for a nice Mondial. They are great cars, and smart of you to check here first.

6. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    The price is a bit high. I will grudgingly undercut his price and take $52K for my 88 3.2.....
    NUMEROUS spares....

7. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    we all agree it's high, however i'm sure we all secretly want these prices to be real. i say we should start a 'price' structure like the boys over in BB land!

for $35k i'd sell you my mondi 8 with the upgrades 'free'. adjustable cams, supercharger, coilovers. etc...okay maybe not, i'll hold out for $60k :)

8. Fyrrari

Fyrrari Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2005
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    David
    Fellow Mondial owners, in my humble opinion we are being our own worst enemy. Cars in general are getting more expensive, so think about that in your comments regarding pricing...remember ONLY YOU control the market, no one else. These cars are unique Ferraris and somewhat "rare" for that matter.

Remember a Honda accord or a Ford truck sells in the high 30's these days. Don't you want your Mondials to be worth more than that? The ball is in your hands.

And for the record, I recently witnessed a average 89 mondial t sell for over 50k. It was REALLY in average condition (nothing to write home about). The buyer has already put over 10k into the interior and still has a way to go to complete this car.

So yeah, maybe priced a little high, but extremely worth it.

Just doing my part.

Fyrrari

9. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Not really. That is sort of an "I've got mine" mentality. It's in our best interest as enthusiasts for prices to be lower so we can afford more of them, or newer ones, or whatever!

When was the 3.2 introduced? '85 or '86?

Birdman

10. Beau365

Beau365 Formula 3

Feb 27, 2005
    Congested London
    Full Name:
    Beau
    Good call, and smart too.
    Upwards is the only way good classics are going.

11. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    #11 snj5, Jun 28, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Mr Fyrrari, I have changed the price on my 88 Mondial 3.2 coupe to...
    ONE MILLION DOLLARS!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    86 for the 3.2, at least officially. I have no idea on actual build dates.

Owners DO control the market, but as a group they don't all have the same axes to grind so they can't control the market. Some people REALLY need to sell their car and will take say $27k for it. Another guy won't take less than $35k for the same car because he loves it and to him, $27k isn't worth it. So the market really is $27k as long as there are guys like the first example.

I see this syndrome with Europas. We are a VERY small community and 99% of cars for sale are unrestored junk that sell for $5k. Those of us with top condition cars, if not show quality, won't take anywhere near what they are "worth" because we can't replace them for what people think they are "worth". So they never come up for sale. You have to buy the $5k junk and sink $15k or more into it, which few are willing to do for a car with such low demand. Demand is the key.

When the Mondial population is small enough, top condition cars will fetch way more than they're "worth" now because that will be the price you have to pay to get such a car. The sellers just won't sell for less, and there are no other cars around.

Ken

13. Fyrrari

Fyrrari Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2005
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    David
    I hear you Birdman, and it is really a catch 22. I can certainly see both sides, but I will not be giving mine away anytime soon.

Believe it or not I searched for over 15 years to find mine and when I did I paid hansomely...which was tough because like most I live for the art of the deal.

On the other hand I now have what I believe to be one of the finest examples of any Mondial t.

14. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    i was lucky and 'fell' into mine. found it a the local concours and bought it the next day! it's been through a number of owners, one here on F-chat. it's been cared for quite well and to me is a early example, door plaque is dated 1981.

it could use some attention in areas but i still get great comments on it from other newer model owners. many are suprised at the milage and condition for an '81.

so i'm all for upping the price, as they get fewer and fewer. two edged sword though when prices get high.

15. PenP

PenP Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 20, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Pen Pendleton
    (sorry about the highjack, guys...) Ken, what do we do about the Europa prices? I love my car, but I kind of need to sell it to make room, but I just can't handle selling it for $8K or whatever. And my car is VERY nice. I also love it and would love to keep it, but it's getting crowded around here (and I have two cars that kind of "do" the same thing (2-seat mid-engine).

Europa TC's are exotic as hell buily by one of the most storied sports car companies in history: they should easily be worth $30K (or since a Challenger with a small block is now a $50K car, a Europa should be worth $200K).

OK, back to the thread. Ken, PM me if you want to talk more about our Lotus dilema! PenP.

16. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    I only humbly request that y'all wait until after I buy my Mondial before you start conspiring to inflate the prices!!

17. F1 MONZA

F1 MONZA Formula Junior

Sep 6, 2004
    California
    Full Name:
    John
    I wanted to say thanks for your kind information. I had done further research on the Mondial. well decided to purchase a different make. I purchased a 1971 Pantera will post pictures when car arrives. it has about 550 horsepower with modified racing suspension and yea rear wing... excellent condition.

thanks again
    john

18. rfking

rfking Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Italy
    I have to say - I figure that there are less than 50 - 88 Mondial 3.2 Cabriolet Ferraris in the US today - less in immaculate condition with 20,000 miles. I honestly enjoy mine on a daily basis and wouldn't take anything close to what I paid for it.

Sure I would love to have a 550 instead, but realistically I can't afford it.

I can afford the Mondial so I'll keep it, maintain it in pristine condition and pass it on to my grandson if I can. In twenty years it will be a classic.

So - unless ya got $55 large - get lost!

19. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    We bought our 88.5 3.2 Cab Mondial two years ago at Ferrari of New England.
    Perfect condition, 6K miles, complete service history, not a scratch inside or out - for $44000.00. This price also included FoNE doing the major over the winter.
    I know this was a bit high, but it is / was the right car for us.
    I also feel that the prices will continue to climb at some rate, as the good examples become less and less available.
    Either way, dont buy with the thought of selling it for a profit, buy to drive and enjoy.
    - Ron

20. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    Sound advice...

21. buzzm2005

buzzm2005 Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Buzz
    Tell me about it. The funny thing is most of them would sooner part with a kidney than their BB(i) but I guess a strong run-up in price recently has stoked the hope of an extended up-trend.

22. buzzm2005

buzzm2005 Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Buzz
    Very good.

23. NYCFERRARIS

NYCFERRARIS Formula 3

Mar 2, 2004
    ...try owning a maserati or Lotus...my freind and I had a great quality complete Maserati Merak SS...very rare and very very exotic.... should have been in Dino 246 territory but NO ON WANTS a CLASSIC Maserati... oh sure the Ghibli guys say ..hey my Ghibli should be in Daytona price territory but they are not..why? There is no demand...rarity alone does not always equal value ..wound up giving the car away ..would have tripled our money parting it out..but did not have the heart to break up a absolutely complete (tools books, manual, papers, tractor spare tire etc) Merak ( and it was the desired rare ALL Maserati version not the Citroen "hybrid") go figure....I agree with Birdman..as long as they are cheap and you can buy them cheap like the Dino 308 then they are in the reach of real people that will drive them and not go form auction block to auction block like cars did in the bubble of the 90's ( hope that never happens again) mondils are great but then again some buyers see a old used car with below avg. ( by modern stds. ) vehicle with high maintenence and there are lot of alternatives out there. Mondial in the 50's Maser Gransports with some warranty left are now in the 60's 456's in the 70's to 80's BB's are low

24. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    LOL, Europas will NEVER be worth what a 308 is worth, that's a fact. If they had a convertable they'd be worth double what they are though. But they are the BEST bang for the buck in sports cars. Parts are available and usually cheap, they are easy and fun to work on, and there's always SOMETHING to tinker with! They look cool, are reasonably quick even today and will out handle any Ferrari under $100k when new, or used today. But they are cheaply made and have no "bling" in the public's eyes, so even a 100 point car won't cost much compared to even an average 308 GT4. (No one wants a 100 point Europa anyway; mine has the usual upgrades and is worth more as a result).

$8k is too cheap for a top condition car; $15k is a good ask price for a TC. Someone who wants a Europa will pay that, or close to that at least, but you'll have to wait a while before you find him. Again, demand is low.

Ken

25. Rival

Rival Formula Junior

May 12, 2005
    Misipi
    On what are you basing this assumption? I'm not challenging your numbers, I'm just wondering if there are some figures out there on this.......Any guess on how many '87s?