Hey! This looks fun, Road Rally Hagerty Silver Summit | FerrariChat

Hey! This looks fun, Road Rally Hagerty Silver Summit

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain' started by JasonMiller, Jan 22, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JasonMiller

JasonMiller F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 16, 2004
    Co Springs/ Texas
    Full Name:
    Jason Miller
    #1 JasonMiller, Jan 22, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. Taurean Bull

Taurean Bull Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2010
    On my way
    Full Name:
    Chad
    Looks like a ton of fun!

3. Hotzos

Hotzos Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 19, 2004
    Parker, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mark Gomez
  4. JasonMiller

JasonMiller F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 16, 2004
    Co Springs/ Texas
    Full Name:
    Jason Miller
    Yes I am seriously considering it. Let me know what you decide to do, would you drive the 308?

5. Hotzos

Hotzos Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 19, 2004
    Parker, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mark Gomez
    Will let you know for sure soon but i will apply to get the 308 in under the "DeLorean Rules" since it would not qualify otherwise.

6. camchain

camchain Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Ron Hetherington
    Bummer that they allow kit cars.

7. JasonMiller

JasonMiller F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 16, 2004
    Co Springs/ Texas
    Full Name:
    Jason Miller
    What do you mean?

8. camchain

camchain Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Ron Hetherington
    Go to their web site and check out the entry list for the Silver Summit Tour. Kit 356 Porsche. At least they are forthright about what it is.

9. JasonMiller

JasonMiller F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 16, 2004
    Co Springs/ Texas
    Full Name:
    Jason Miller
    Oh gotcha..

10. Joshman0531

Joshman0531 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 19, 2012
    Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Joshua Seidenberg
    Think about how many guys are sporting the cobra kits. They gotta let them drive too, ey? Nothing wrong with that....

11. camchain

camchain Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Ron Hetherington
    Actually Joshua no, I don't think that they do have to let them drive too. I suspect that if the the entry list was sprinkled with these AD 355 355 owners would tend not to be excited about taking part. But you stand to be a better judge of that than I. ;)

12. Joshman0531

Silver Subscribed

Jan 19, 2012
    Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Joshua Seidenberg
    Yea, that would suck. I only meant that so many guys run the cobra kits and they emulate the pre '79 requirement that they would let it. That AD355 isn't a kit of a car older than '79. As you know 355s started mid 90s.

I don't have a car older than '86 so I probably won't attend.

13. JasonMiller

JasonMiller F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 16, 2004
    Co Springs/ Texas
    Full Name:
    Jason Miller

Josh, they will accept a newer car on a case by case basis. You should consider it.

14. Joshman0531

Silver Subscribed

Jan 19, 2012
    Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Joshua Seidenberg
    Certainly time to consider. Thanks guys!

15. IAmNotCasey

IAmNotCasey Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2014
    Parker, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Casey Duncan
    For what it's worth I've known a lot of folks over the years that drive kits, my father built one when I was a kid. Some of the nicest, and most knowledgable folks around. Granted not everyone builds their own, and they're not to everyone's taste, but what is? People are good or bad despite what they drive in my experience.

16. camchain

camchain Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Ron Hetherington
    Casey, Please, I am in no way judging the people that own or have built component cars. I did not intend anything that I said to imply that. Heck, I built a dune buggy in HS. One of the most fun driving cars ever.

17. prototypefan

prototypefan Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2005
    ab, canada
    I'd appreciate some advice from the locals on weather and roads.

My wife and I have done four Grands which are in September and this looks to be a pile of fun.

On the Grand we have encountered, rain (lots of it), wet snow that has never stuck to the road (even on the Loveland Pass). There has never been any type of salt or gravel on the roads (except for some stops at a nature preserve and one ranch).

At the time of this event and lets consider they will go to an area like the Loveland Pass potentially, what can one expect for weather?

Do they salt or gravel the roads?

Thanks in advance

18. IAmNotCasey

IAmNotCasey Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2014
    Parker, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Casey Duncan
    That time of year the weather could be anything at all in the mountains. I would guess 4 parts gorgeous, sunny and perfect and 1 part miserable rain and/or blizzard ;)

19. Hotzos

Hotzos Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 19, 2004
    Parker, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mark Gomez
    I am doing this drive in the 308. Anyone else going? No public disclosure of the route yet but it is starting at Club Auto on Friday morning.

20. JasonMiller

JasonMiller F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 16, 2004
    Co Springs/ Texas
    Full Name:
    Jason Miller
    I wanted to go but never could get information from the host of the event. Time has passed and I completely forgot about it until this post. Does look like fun, have a great time and take some pics!

21. Hotzos

Hotzos Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 19, 2004
    Parker, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mark Gomez
    #21 Hotzos, May 17, 2015
    Last edited: May 17, 2015
    It was a really fun event. Ran into snow, sleet, hail etc etc. but the organizer was fantastic -- kept tracking weather on radar and found alternate routes. The tour went from Golden to Steamboat via back roads and it took about 7 hours. Saw some amazing back roads along the way. 2nd day was from Steamboat to Keystone - also on backroads and it took about 8 hours. This is not a drive you can do without a co-pilot. Lots of quick turns. Final day was shorter but we had to change it due to snow over Loveland Pass.

About 20 cars attended -- i think 8 from Colorado. Rest were from Canada, Nevada, Oklahoma, Michigan etc. Cars included a Studebaker, Renaut, one Ferrari, several Porsches, Alpha, Austin Healey, Mini, etc. Good mix of cars

Classic Car Adventures put on the event. Hagerty was the main sponsor. Man Cave had their truck there as the sweep.

Thanks Jason for posting this. I will do it again next year. Supposed to run the weekend before Memorial Day Weekend somewhere in Colorado. Route is secret until registration.