Here's a pic of me pulling the engine out of my 612 yesterday! | Page 46 | FerrariChat

Here's a pic of me pulling the engine out of my 612 yesterday!

Discussion in '612/599' started by trygve11, Jul 4, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. trygve11

trygve11 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 20, 2008
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Jason Hagen
    #1126 trygve11, May 30, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    OK, I am back to it!

My 612 was apparently owned by a much heavier man than me. The driver's seat was worn, both the bolsters and the leather. Passenger seat was like new.

A new seat is $9K so I passed on this. Also, you can't source the cushions or the leather separately. As such, I had the upper left and lower left portions of the driver's seat cushion (bolsters) reinforced by a upholstery shop. THen, I got to re-dying the leather...

Process: I used Leatherique products. First, Rejuvenating oil and then Pristine Clean. Then I used Isopropyl alcohol and cleaned the leather thoroughly. Then let it dry for two days. Then I applied the custom mixed dye. Requires a steady hand with contrast stitching!

I did two to three coats on most of the seat. It matches perfectly with the sections on the very same seat that didn't need it (the shoulder area and above.

Here are some sort of lame before and after pics. In the last pic, the front bottom potion of the seat had just gotten a third coat. Now I need to let dry for 48 hours before putting the seat back in.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Very cool - good luck with this, Jason.

3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Jason- Came out great. Not sure how you avoided the contrast stitching. That thread absorbs dye like a sponge.

4. trygve11

trygve11 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 20, 2008
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Jason Hagen
    Well, I didn't really but it is hard to tell. Looks much better than it did!

5. F3RN4ND0

F3RN4ND0 Karting

Nov 16, 2015
    Madrid, Spain
    Full Name:
    F3RN
    Hi Jason !
    Im pretty new to FChat and found this thread.
    I read it all as a good novel !

There is little i can add to what has already been said :)

Bravo, bravo, bravo !!! Congrats !

6. trygve11

trygve11 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 20, 2008
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Jason Hagen
    #1131 trygve11, Jun 15, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. Sigi

Sigi Rookie

Oct 29, 2015
    Los Gatos
    Full Name:
    Sigi J Valencia
    Fantastic that you are rebuilding a 612.

8. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
  9. ronmg

ronmg Karting

Oct 14, 2009
    Duh Moines
    Full Name:
    Ron Foote
    So glad I can see this thread again.

Ron

10. jorge da cruz

jorge da cruz Karting

Sep 4, 2015
    Luanda Angola
    Full Name:
    Jorge Da Cruz
    Man ....

Just to motivate us more ...

Put ... Pic ; Me & 612 in Niagara falls...

Me & 612 in South Florida !!!

Me & 612 in Seattle.....

Just for the ones who follow your thread since start to be happier !

:)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

11. ferrarisun

ferrarisun Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2011
    The best part about this adventure with the 612, a DEAD Ferrari lives again!! Hats off to Jason, I've never met him, but he is truly a " keeper of the flame".

12. trygve11

trygve11 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 20, 2008
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Jason Hagen
    JoeTSI, Nospinzone, Etcetera and 4 others like this.
  13. Makuono

Makuono Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2014
    Full Name:
    Ricardo
    Jason,

Great to receive your feedback on the 612. I used to follow this thread with great pleasure.

Will you document the recovery of the FF as you did with the 612?

14. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    It just never ceases to amaze me how people just drive into deep water like that.

Did the engine experience hydrolock?

15. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Jason-- glad to see you're back! The FF looks like a fun project. I think they're great cars.

16. trygve11

trygve11 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 20, 2008
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Jason Hagen
    Very interesting on the FF hydrolock question. Let me explain what I found...

The FF saw a much higher water mark than my 612 ever did. The 612 barely got any water into the cabin. But the FF got it up to the hip level. Interestingly, the FF engine was just about perfect. It did ingest water, but never hydrolocked. Either the owner shut it down in time (unlikely) or there is another explanation (that I will outline now).

Here is what happened after the FF was fished out of the pool of water that the video shows (which, btw is about 1 foot lower in the pictures than it eventually saw). The car went to North Shore Exotics in Cleveland. There the owner flushed out the engine of water, the trans and diff and ran the car through all 7 gears. The car then went to IAA in Cleveland (Insurance Auto Auctions). At this point I was watching it but knew nothing about it (i.e. didn't know that it went to North Shore, etc and ran). It was then brought to New Jersey and went up for auction in NJ at Copart two weeks later. At this point I dug in and did my research. I liked the gamble, so I bought it (likely $10K higher than I would have paid at the IAA auction but now I had the info).

When I took delivery, the starter was amost completely rusted up. I got one start out of it. That was it and the starter was toast. I then pulled the entire ineterior apart and starting going through every module, every seat motor (seats were all locked up), etc. I had to muck out every orifice, replace every relay, every fuse, most modules, clean all connections (thankfully fresh water flood). New oxygen sensors, etc. Car then ran perfect. Interior is back to "like new". Leather fared superbly. Current issue is that the TCM (which is in the trunk and was under water) has now decided to go out, so I am having it cloned onto a used one to save me the $7K pricetag for buying one from the dealer and having it coded (it is one of the few modules on the FF that needs to be coded after purchase of a new module). Will probably save me $6,500.

But here is the kicker on the hydrolock question (vs the 612). I noticed that the FF has these 1/2" thick panels that lie underneath the traditional air cleaner panels on the car. I wondered "what the hell are these"? I looked them up and noticed they are only spec'd in the USA and Canada. At that point, the loght-bulb went off and I inferred "ah ha!", these panels must inhibit the flow of water (if the intake scoops see water) and help block water ingestion to reduce the risk of hydrolock! Likely specified by the insurance companies (who can get $50K more for a salvage Ferrari that runs vs one that doesn't)...

So that's the short story. I started the project last November and am a couple weeks away from a perfect FF. It is highly optioned, 7K miles, runs awesome, perfect compression, etc. I had it fully "Expel" bra'd and Ceramic Pro'd. Body perfect. Absolutely perfect.

I can't wait to spend some time driving it. This winter too! 4-wheel drive!

I will post some pics of the project as it developed along the way. It's been fun. And since I now run my own shop for a living (2nd career), my capabilities to do this 100% right and efficiently has gone way up. The 612 project provided the foundation for that leap!

Ferrari 360 CS, kens and Makuono like this.
  17. trygve11

trygve11 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 20, 2008
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Jason Hagen
  18. trygve11

trygve11 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 20, 2008
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Jason Hagen
    4rextc likes this.
  19. trygve11

trygve11 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 20, 2008
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Jason Hagen
    That interior shot of the interior all shined up is AFTER I went through every square inch to clean it up. The below pic show basically the dirt reisdue that was left everywhere when the water subsided. Even within the seats!

donv likes this.
  20. F3RN4ND0

F3RN4ND0 Karting

Nov 16, 2015
    Madrid, Spain
    Full Name:
    F3RN
    Jason, you re my hero.

trygve11 likes this.
  21. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    This is amazing. Really cool.

trygve11 likes this.
  22. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jason, you did a great job on the 612! Good luck on the FF.

trygve11 likes this.
  23. trygve11

trygve11 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 20, 2008
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Jason Hagen
    I will likely put up a separate and more thorough accounting of the FF project on the FF portion of the site. Interestingly, that "area" of the site hasn't seemed to be as interested in some early indications of the project as you all have been on the 612. Probably not as many folks in that FF/Lusso/F12/812 section that can relate (yet). Still too new and most folks not as "approachable" as us 612 or 599 guys! ;-)

Makuono likes this.
  24. [gTr]

[gTr] Formula 3

Mar 11, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    Great job! I have a question. Did you find any issues with the front gearbox? This was first introduced with the FF and I have always wondered how it will hold up to the test of time.

25. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    On a side note , any particular reason for your avatar name change?

Best