Hendon way motors | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Hendon way motors

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by anthony, Jul 13, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Andy 308GTB

Andy 308GTB F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Jun 2, 2004
    Essex, UK
    Full Name:
    Andy M

There appears to be a common theme running in this thread :D

2. ninja_eli

ninja_eli Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    London
    Full Name:
    Ali
    This exact thought goes through my mind every time I drive pass there. I went there about 7 years ago to have a look at a 348 spider they had, price seemed reasonable. Car was average, staff were rude (assume "Anthony" is the snotty old pratt who I spoke to eventually), the whole operation seemed unprofessional so I legged it as soon as possible. Was told I couldn't have a test drive too.

They had the shop renovated recently, but its ALWAYS empty there, often the showroom is shut with the lights off during normal business hours. Used to pass there nearly everyday. About 2 weeks ago they had a black Gallardo in there, now replaced by a red 360. Can't believe they actually sold something! (assuming the owner didn't request it back).

Strange place.

3. Rrari

Rrari Rookie

Feb 2, 2010
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I am in the middle of a dispute with these guys right now, and I'd strongly advise avoiding them. I wish I had read this first, and had done some googling.

4. Fan512bbi

Fan512bbi Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    Can you tell us what the dispute is about?

5. Rrari

Rrari Rookie

Feb 2, 2010
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    #30 Rrari, Apr 9, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2010
    I bought a car from them on the condition that they would do some work on it. They have not done the work, and are refusing to return my deposit.

I have never dealt with more dishonest people. I do not want to say too much until the dispute is settled. My question in the 308/328 area of the forum relates to this however.

6. Derek Trotter

Derek Trotter Formula 3
    BANNED

Jul 28, 2007
    Cambridge, UK
    #31 Derek Trotter, Apr 10, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2010
    I wouldn't touch them, I too nearly bought a car from them but things just didn't add up, and then the lies were forthcoming. Just do a search on PistonHeads...........

:(

7. commandant

commandant Rookie

Jul 22, 2010
    Hi Guys
    Reading a lot about how bad things about these guys! Well for the record, I have over the last 30 years bought 4 cars from them, and every single time was a very pleasant experience. They treated me well and the cars were ACE! Would recommend them anytime.
    Actually, thinking of buying a Porsche and know that they carry excellent stock.

8. roalda

roalda Formula Junior

Oct 2, 2007
    Wiltshire England
    Full Name:
    Roy
    I think Watchdog are doing an article on them.

9. Mark456M

Mark456M Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2008
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Hannaford
    Where did that thread disappear to??

10. Aaronholmes220

Aaronholmes220 Karting

Dec 12, 2009
    County Durham UK
    Full Name:
    Aaron Holmes
    Very strange that that watchdog thread has disappeared...

I had commented on there that I bought my 430 spider from there and so far have had no problems and they bent over backwards to help me!

Anthony the main sales guy can be slightly difficult on account of losing concentration a lot of the time but provided you are clear about what you want he'll do everything he can to help! I don't think there is anything underhand going on there I have a beautiful Ferrari sitting in my garage and I would definately buy from HWM again I'm sure.

11. Rrari

Rrari Rookie

Feb 2, 2010
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Hi does anyone have details about the watchdog show or how to contact them? I will be delighted to talk to them about the problems I have had with them. I have plenty of documentation also.

I would strongly recommend avoiding them.

I strongly agree with the last poster on how Anthony has a hard time maintaining concentration, after all he gave me three different names when I was dealing with him. Anthony John, Anthony Pozner and John Greenberg. He also claimed to be a Director of the firm at first, but when it came time to return my deposit, he was a lowly employee, as was his colleague Mike, who claimed to just work there part time, helping out a friend. In fact it seems they have no actual management when you have a problem.

Since having trouble with them, I have spoken to a number of people who have had even worse experiences than me. Before dealing with them I would advise asking around on various forums like this one about their reputation, and doing some googling.

Any good business can have some dissatisfied customers, who may be totally in the wrong, so Google some of their competitors also, and see if they get more or less negative feedback than average. With HWM the negative feedback compared to other dealerships is about 1000 to 1. I wish I had done my research before turning up there with a deposit check.

I would also advise calling the Ferrari Owners Club for their opinion of HWM.

There are however some good points about them. http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&t=672894&hw=+%2Bhendon+%2Bway&nmt=Hendon%20Way%20Motors%20-%20their%20good%20points

12. Aaronholmes220

Aaronholmes220 Karting

Dec 12, 2009
    County Durham UK
    Full Name:
    Aaron Holmes
    Hi again guys,

I've so far managed a trouble free 1000 miles in my 430 and all seems well. Looking at this thread I may well have been the lucky one but I would recommend looking at Porsche forums to see what they have to say as they seem to turn over a lot more 911's than Ferrari. They gave me a reasonable price on the C4S I part ex'd and sold it on. I think that provided you check the car over thoroughly you shouldn't have too much of a problem if you buy from there.

On another note, the garage I originally bought a 430 spider from was Broadoak Performance Cars in Canterbury. WOW was that a mistake. After putting me on the spot and persuading me to put down a deposit that left my account literally empty by offering me a low price on my 911 they sold my 430 the night before I went to collect it and told me via a txt message at 8pm! they sold it to another dealer and expected to simply return my 911 the next day and recredit my debit card which took 4 days to clear leaving me in a real tight spot. They tried to claim the finance was declined but the finance company rang me direct to warn me they'd be trying that and that I had passed in truth and the funds were ready to transfer.

After that experience Hendon Way were absolutely fine so just to clarify there is at least one person here who would go back!

Aaron

13. Rrari

Rrari Rookie

Feb 2, 2010
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    #38 Rrari, Jul 23, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2010
    I see this is your first post. Is that you Anthony? What last name are you using at present?

14. Mark456M

Mark456M Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2008
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Hannaford
    My thoughts in words :)

4 cars in 30 years? That must be what's keeping them afloat :D

15. No Need To Lift

Jul 26, 2010
    London, UK
    I contacted HWM about a year or so ago, and was turned completely off by the salesman's utter waffle. Reading forum posts elsewhere confirmed my thoughts of the outfit.

16. burmang

burmang Rookie

Sep 19, 2013
    London
    Full Name:
    Gaurav Burman
    I wish I had read this, I just had a horrible experience with Hendon Way Motors....Is there nothing we can do to stop them?

17. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004
    If the service is that bad---maybe they have other businesses or interest and the sale of cars is of secondary import.

18. francisn

francisn Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Berks, UK
    Full Name:
    francis newman
    All I can say is that in the pack of documents I received when I bought my GT4 last year, there is some pretty horrific correspondence between the two ago owner and HWM when he bought it from them in 1989! It didn't look like a very happy experience.

19. petrolheadjeff

petrolheadjeff Karting

Apr 16, 2015
    London/Kent
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I worked there when I was 16. Many years ago. It was my first job in the motor trade! Dunno who's running the firm now tho.

20. BAD 130Y

BAD 130Y Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    R Koli
    I went to sell a 993 turbo to them a few years ago (when they were not in demand that much) the cheeky buggers offered me 26K for the car. It was a 96 on a R, Arena Red with grey leather in mint conditon. I drove to Sparks and got 47k for it.

The attitude they have is very unfriendly