Help with sunroof | FerrariChat

Help with sunroof

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by JLF, Jan 14, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    #1 JLF, Jan 14, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
    Frankly I’m amazed how solid and squeak/rattle free this car is BUT I have a terrible rattle behind my head while driving. It’s in the sunroof mechanism. Sounds like a cable flipping around beating against the roof and it seems to have gotten worse. So much to my surprise I took down the headliner and the sunroof mechanism is behind another metal plate. How on earth do I get to it? Do I have to remove the sunroof? If so how?

This being the case can I reinstall the headliner or will it have to be lowered?

Thanks
    Jerry
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Condam the damn thing, leave it closed and put PU resin in to that roof space !o_O

Guido

3. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Put the headliner back.

In the trunk at the end of the flexible cable tube it is capped off. Remove the cap. Open the sun roof all the way. It can now go a little further back than usual becoming decoupled from the cable.. Remove the chrome track guides. This exposes gaps on the track. When you manually pull the panel forward you can now lift the panel up where there are gaps in the track. Sorry to say there is one or 2 more steps that without looking at it are not coming to me but I think they will be evident. I know the headliner material on the sliding panel needs to be disconnected at the front edge. It is held in place by spring clips and pops down. I think that is to give access to the guides in the panel. Sorry I don't have more detail, it's been 25 years or so since I had one apart. Once out it gives access to the cable guide etc in the roof.

Going back in reverse the process. Push the panel ALL the way to the rear and this will recouple it to the cable. Run it forward electrically and put the cap back on the tube.

4. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    Before I go through all that I was wondering if there was a way to adjust cable tension in the trunk to keep it from flopping around?

5. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    These things are a nightmare- if you do decide to remove the roof panel, be sure to cover the rear 2 inches of the panel with lots of masking tape. There is very little clearence to lift the front edge of the panel and get it out- as you do this the rear edge can catch under the actual roof and damage the paint work.
    Rifledrivers method is correct- with the panel open you will see a chrome runner each side with screws holding it in place, (remove these runners)with the panel uncoupled from the cable using the manual shaft of the gearbox, you should see a couple of white plastic guides on the front of the panel- the panal being disconnected from the operating cable should slide forward , you should then be able to gently lift the front lip and it will come up and forward.
    NB. Keep an eye of the rear of the panel to be sure you dont catch the paintwork.
    Looking in the roof void you will see a guide and if you operate the electric open there should be a pin with a white nylon bush on it, travel up and down this guide.

As to what is making the noise you will have to see what you find-if you fix it, leave it shut for ever as it will drive you mad

6. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    There is no way it can flop around unless something is broken.

7. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Does the sunroof actually open and close ?

8. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    Yes it works fine.

9. mustbenuts

mustbenuts Karting

May 14, 2017
    Lancaster, PA USA
    Full Name:
    GR
    Could it be that the tube the cable runs through has broken a spot weld? That would account for the top still remaining operational

10. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Could be but the panel needs to be out to get to it. It screws in place at the forward end and slips into a receptacle at the rear.

11. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    Thanks for the responses guys.

12. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    So how long a job is it to remove the sunroof panel and replace it?

13. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    That is the structural box that is welded into the roof to compensate for the loss of rigidity due to the sunroof's opening.

It comes out trough its own opening toward the outside by releasing it from the push-pull cable. (no cable tensioning involved)

Yes.

14. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Does rattle when closed or open?
    Removing and replacing takes 30 mins.

15. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    Oh ok that’s no big deal. I may try and remove it today then. I have the entire front of the engine apart on my 968 and have to set cam timing and stuff so I didn’t want to get into another huge job.

It rattles when closed.

16. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    There is a write-up on F Chat somewhere re the procedure.

17. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    Thanks for all the info guys.

18. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
  19. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    Ok so I’ve read through several posts about how your supposed to slide sunroof back and then loosen some cap on the cable. My cable goes into the motor in a pipe and then loops all the way back 180 degrees. There is some sort of nut on the end of it but it butts up against the foreword wall. I don’t understand what I’m supposed to loosen to get the sunroof to slide back even more so that I can remove tracks and stuff. You can see it in front of my fingers coming out of copper tube.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Remove that end cap.
    Then let the push-pull cable exit an inch or so.
    The roof will be released from the cable and you can manually slide it forward.

21. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    Thanks man. So when I remove the end cap is the cable supposed to slide out with the sunroof?
    I’m having a hard time seeing how to get the cap off because it’s kind of pressed tight against the panel adjacent to it.
    When you say exit does the cable continue to move toward the front of the car when I push the sunroof button more to the open position or does it move toward the back, back into the tube?

22. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    The cable does not come out, it just moves the panel. If i remember correctly this copper tube comes off the back of the gearbox- the end of the cable runs into this- and by removing the fitting it will allow the maximum run of the cable.
    The panel should be full open using the electric motor and you should be able to disconnect the drive between the cable and the panel by taking a cap off the side of the gearbox, you will find a slot for a flat end screwdriver and you can manually retract the cable. Be sure to get a good screwdriver fit in order to avoid damaging the slot.
    If you remove the cap and run the electric motor you will be able to work out the open / close directions.
    The cable needs to be as far retracted as possable in order to disconnect it from the panel.
    It is usefull to remove the operating switch and extend the wiring so you have the switch in your hand at the motor position in the boot, so you can see what is going on.

23. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    Would it be easier to disconnect the motor from the wall so I can move everything around a little to take off the nut? I can barely pull the trunk liner back enough to even get to it.

24. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    No leave it alone or you will make a lot more problems- the panel is easy to remove once you get the cable fully back- the motor is a nightmare to refit.

25. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    Ok thanks Mike.