help with silver paint | FerrariChat

help with silver paint

Discussion in '206/246' started by jnk, Jan 20, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jnk

jnk Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2010
    Jon is getting close to having our Dino #8514 painted. He has been very patient with us as we are having a difficult time choosing the correct silver paint. He will be using a PPG water based paint. He has had the painter spray out 14 different silver colors including Toyota, Porsche, aston Martin,Ferrari and others. we are looking for the vintage look with a little POP.
    Can anyone give us a good PPG paint code of silver that does not look to modern but is not as flat as the original 106-E-1.
    Any help would be appreciated

2. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    #2 4CamGT, Jan 20, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
  3. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    #3 omgjon, Jan 20, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    After putting all the samples outside and looking at them at all angles and at all times of the day, in my mind I liked #2 on our samples. The first one on the samples is the original Argento Auteil Metallizzato. The modern formula for that from PPG comes out a little brighter with very fine Metallic. It looks to me to be the most period correct and has a little more pop than the original. All of the bottom row had too much metallic in it for my taste. But you know what they say about opinions!!!!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    #4 omgjon, Jan 20, 2015
  5. 4redno

4redno Formula 3

Mar 21, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Keith Mitchell Wintraub
    Looks really nice.

6. muk_yan_jong

muk_yan_jong Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2008
    Full Name:
    Brian McK
    Another "opinion" making his opinion, but it is definitely between 1 and 2. The metallics are really distracting even on small panels.

2 might "pop" more but the second angle on 1 might make some interesting contrasts and shades when on the car's lines and accented by new chrome.(?)

7. BRAD_DIEZ

BRAD_DIEZ Rookie

Jun 24, 2006
    Definitely 1 or 2. If you overthink it you will start suffering from paralysis by analysis...........

8. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #8 synchro, Jan 21, 2015
    Yep, chose the same for 05702 to return to original.
    Suprisingly, there is quite a broad luster in sunlight rather than the pinpoint sparkle reflections that many modern silvers have.
    It looks nice and vintage correct!
    :)

9. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    I agree about either 1 or 2, I also think Jon is right that 2 is the way to go.

Brad - my goodness, you can not be more correct than what you say in your second sentence....

Shawn

10. 4redno

4redno Formula 3

Mar 21, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Keith Mitchell Wintraub
    I just want to endorse Jon Byers. He is the consummate professional. His paint jobs have won Pebble Beach best of show multiple times. His paint job on my car still looked like new 14 years after he painted it. He gets the job done on time and does it all with a smile.

There is not a more humble, professional and enjoyable person in the car restoration business and we are so lucky to have him in the Pacific Northwest.

He looks good in that Dino jacket!

Keith

11. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    I can confirm, it is one of the most amazing paint jobs I've seen. There are no flaws. Looks as though it was just finished. It is stunning!

Freeman

12. Robin Whitehead

Feb 7, 2020
    Full Name:
    Robin Whitehead
    Hi - thanks for posting the samples. Was the PPG paint a custom mix or was it an off the shelf mix? Did it have a name/colour code? Thanks