Help with Error Codes and 355 that died and would not start | FerrariChat

Help with Error Codes and 355 that died and would not start

Discussion in '348/355' started by Vince355, Oct 19, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Vince355

Vince355 Rookie

Jul 31, 2020
    Full Name:
    Vincent Joseph Tevere
    So I was on the way back yesterday from a nice long drive and as I came up on a little bit of traffic, the car started to buck when I started off again (thought I was in wrong gear but not so lucky) shifted from first to second and the car lost power and then died. It would not crank over after that.

The flatbed delivered it this morning - I put it on slow charger and used my code reader.

Got the Following 2 Stored codes:

P0133 and P0153

and the following 2 Pending Codes

P0139 and P0159

I know these are 02 sensor circuit slow codes for Bank 1 and Bank 2

I do not believe the O2 sensors are the problem but more likely I have a bad ECM or 2

probably reason car won’t crank over

Any thoughts?

Thanks

2. emac

emac Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 14, 2014
    upstate SC
    Full Name:
    ernest
    When you say it wont crank over, do you mean you turn the key and get nothing or does the starter engage and will not fire up.

3. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    How old is the battery?

4. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I would not trust those codes to be the only problem yet. I suggest you start at the beginning and ...

1. Make sure your battery is freshly recharged
    2. Look for spark
    3. Test for fuel pump operation, fuel pressure, fuel pump fuse, fuel pump relay
    4. Do a compression test

Then see what the problems are.

taz355 likes this.
  5. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Are you referring to your Motronic ECUs? i.e. Do you have a 2.7 or 5.2 Motronic engine management system?

Do you have two fuel pumps, 2 fuel filters, etc? What is your car's assembly number? (left hand side of engine bay)

6. Vince355

Vince355 Rookie

Jul 31, 2020
    Full Name:
    Vincent Joseph Tevere
    All,

Thanks all - let me answer all the questions

Turn the key and nothing - It will not even crank. Battery fully charged now.

Battery is less than 2 year old Optima Red Top.

I was referring to Motronics ECU - I have a 5.2 Motronic - it is a 1998 355

I don’t hear fuel pumps coming on.

7. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Prior to this , have you ever noticed if you could crank your engine with the immobiliser active? Some cars will, some cars won't. My car won't ('98 Australian car).

It's not a fuel supply issue if it's not even cranking. Sounds like an immobiliser (depending on the above) or Motronics ECU issue. Or something really strange going on with the electrical system. I assume your instrument warning lights and external lights work with the ignition in the run position (?).

Have you checked all the fuses in your passenger footwell?

8. Vince355

Vince355 Rookie

Jul 31, 2020
    Full Name:
    Vincent Joseph Tevere
    Need to turn off immobilizer in order to crank my car - has always been that way.

Instrument warning Lights and electric stuff ( Doors and seats ) work.

Going to check fuses this morning.

I had the external regulator go once and if died like this but car would crank and start and run for short time once battery was charged.

9. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Ok. So it's probably not an immobiliser issue :D I guess you have a late '98 model.

This is interesting. It's hard to imagine a fault which would affect both cranking and engine management (considering the fault also stopped your car as you were driving).

Looking at the wiring diagrams, there is a particular connector on the back of the footwell relay panel which supplies power to both the starter solenoid and ignition-related power to the Motronics ECU. The back of the relay panel isn't easy to get to. However, there is another (9-pin) plug near the Motronics ECU which carries that same ignition-related power which I could get you to check with a voltmeter).

Anyway, I'll see if the other folks can come up with easier suggestions. I may be moving too fast for you.

Here's the diagram:

Fig11a_1997_5.2_Injection_System_Ignitionv2.GIF

10. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    There is also a waterproof 12 pin connector aft of the left rear strut which has the following:

1) a white wire which carries starter solenoid power
    2) a small red wire which goes to the alternator (I believe this can cause power problems if the wire is broken).

Check it for security/pin damage.

It would be helpful at this point if you can tell us when the last major was done and if you had any other electrical issues.

11. WATSON

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    Optima Red Tops are a pain in the butt battery. They are notorious for issues. Fully charged or not. I removed the one in my 355 ages ago.
    Before you start tearing into wire harnesses and other items, you might consider trying another battery.

INRange, Qavion and PhilB like this.
  12. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    +1

Good point. Can you get someone to put the ignition key to start while you listen to see if the starter solenoid clicks. If you can move the (spider) seats, you should have enough capacity in the battery to activate the starter solenoid, but perhaps not crank the engine.

13. WATSON

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    My friend just last month had all kinds of weird issues with his 355.
    Immobilizer acting weird. Starter would not engage. Lights blinking on the dash. etc

Battery was fully charged....we swapped in a new battery anyway and all went back to normal.

Take it for what it is worth, but these cars seem really picky on battery condition.

14. Vince355

Vince355 Rookie

Jul 31, 2020
    Full Name:
    Vincent Joseph Tevere
    Last major service was done in March 2020. No electrical problems since Regulator was replaced in 2014.

I will pull the battery out and get it load tested

15. Vince355

Vince355 Rookie

Jul 31, 2020
    Full Name:
    Vincent Joseph Tevere
    Battery is fine - unfortunately

16. INRange

INRange F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD
    I'll add my 2 cents since we own the same car.

Your car initially died due to losing power. The fact that it restarted would indicate (somewhat) that it still had enough power to engage the starter so the battery being the problem seems a little less likely (it was my first guess as well). Because the starter will not engage when you turn the key.....the immobilizer seems to still be engaged. Does the red light go off and does the alarm chirp when you disarm it?

If it does then we really have a mystery.

17. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    He never said it restarted. Read post one again, slowly. :)

INRange likes this.
  18. Vince355

Vince355 Rookie

Jul 31, 2020
    Full Name:
    Vincent Joseph Tevere

19. Vince355

Vince355 Rookie

Jul 31, 2020
    Full Name:
    Vincent Joseph Tevere
    So starter seems to energize and clicks once and hums but won’t crank engine.

immobilizer seems to be functioning properly. Alarm goes off when trying to start w/o disabling and chirps and red light goes out when disabled and can try and start car.

20. Vince355

Vince355 Rookie

Jul 31, 2020
    Full Name:
    Vincent Joseph Tevere
    John is correct it died and I have not been able to restart it.

21. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    if you put it in 6th gear and rock the car, does the engine rotate a little?

22. Vince355

Vince355 Rookie

Jul 31, 2020
    Full Name:
    Vincent Joseph Tevere
    I will try to rock it in 6 th gear in the morning.

23. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Make sure you can tell if the engine rotates. You need some reference. Maybe pull a plug and check for piston movement. What ever works for you.

24. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    This is getting more and more mysterious. If the solenoid is clicking, this suggests the starter power wiring may be ok.

I was earlier thinking the chassis to engine earth strap might be causing both the ECU and starter problem. The engine ECU, the starter and alternator all rely on this. Perhaps the earth is good enough to activate the solenoid, but not enough to crank the engine. It's hard to get to earth with the car on the ground. However, a resistance check between the engine block and the chassis may tell you the condition of the earth. 200 milliohms is the quoted spec. Also check the earth on the back of the engine (right hand side, near the cam sensor). Here's a photo of the engine earth:

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/posts/146685322/

I'll try to dig up Grant's photo of the engine to chassis earth.

Also check the live battery terminals on the left side of the engine bay (in the box with the "+" on it) for security . These are disturbed during majors.

I assume your battery was not in cutoff and your battery conditioner had been removed when you tried to start the car? Where do you normally attach your battery conditioner? On the battery?

I'm curious to know where JohnK is going. Could a single mechanical issue be causing all these problems?

25. Vince355

Vince355 Rookie

Jul 31, 2020
    Full Name:
    Vincent Joseph Tevere
    I think he is trying to see if my engine is seized.

johnk... likes this.