HELP, traffic violation attorney needed. | FerrariChat

HELP, traffic violation attorney needed.

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by Xrayv8, Dec 21, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Xrayv8

Xrayv8 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 18, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Xray
    This forum has been a great resource for all things in life so I'm reaching to everyone for a traffic violation attorney in Roanoke Virginia.

I received a speeding violation when I went down to pick up my daughter for winter break. Since I'm out of state, I know no one in that part of the world.

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

J

2. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    "FOU" username here on Fchat might know someone in the Roanoke area, he is in Richmond.

Was the ticket from a VA State Trooper??

3. swisman

swisman Rookie

Feb 19, 2013
    Unionville, Pa
    Full Name:
    Scott Wisman
  4. Xrayv8

Xrayv8 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 18, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Xray
    Yes, state trooper.

5. Xrayv8

Xrayv8 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 18, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Xray
    I looked closer at the summons the trooper gave and it's for Fincastle, Va in Botetourt county.

6. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    You still might need a lawyer from Roanoke; but there are a few based in Fincastle near the court house. Roanoke to Fincastle is probably at least 30 minutes of travel time and billable hours each way. The best lawyer in Roanoke used to be Richard Lawrence, but, unfortunately, he is now deceased. However, his son practices at the Lawrence firm. I can't vouch for the son's expertise but it might be a good starting place. In Roanoke, the best attorneys are at the old line firms. There are a lot of upstarts there that you see advertising on TV and billboards. You should consult Martindale Hubble to investigate your short list.

You didn't say how many MPH was cited. If you were under 80 MPH, the fine ranges from $6 to $8 per mile over the posted limit in a series of categories. This typically results in a range of $200 to $300 for the speeding plus another $100 for court costs plus your attorney fees. If the citation was for over 80 MPH, this is considered reckless driving in VA. The fine can be up to $2,500, but the judge usually adds a few hundred extra to the basic speeding ticket. My understanding is that only very egregious incidents receiver the higher fine limits. Reckless driving in VA also gets into points and hassles with insurance. The attorney you select is in the best position to evaluate the pros and cons of your specific situation.

Best of luck in getting this hassle resolved.

7. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    +1

I was ticketed by a State Trouper for doing 81 just outside of Williamsburg. No choice but to drive down from DC on the court date. I was the last person on the docket that morning. Every single person who denied the charge got hammered. If you admitted it, the judge reduced the sentence.

I pled guilty and asked for Traffic School (something we have in CA). The judge asked the date of my last violation, when I said 17 years and two months, she reduced it to simple speeding and a fine.

Cost = 1 day rental car, tank of gas, 1 day of leave, and $300. I considered that a pretty good deal.

BTW - You people east of I-5 take this speeding stuff way to seriously.

8. Xrayv8

Xrayv8 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 18, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Xray
    I wanted to give everyone an update on my reckless driving ticket.

First a special thanks to dm n stuff for providing the links which gave me some great attorney referrals. I ended up hiring Andi Geloo 703-359-1022 who is based in Fairfax but does take cases throughout Virginia. Although Andi had never gone to the Botetourt County (near Roanoke where I was ticketed) she took the case and I'm glad that she did.

I was initially apprehensive about hiring her since she was not a "local" and thought I should have gone with a local attorney who knew the judges but in the end she was very aggressive and ultimately got my charges reduced to an improper driving violation with a small fine with no points, no license suspension, or jail time. She did her homework and was very well prepared and knew the violation codes better than the district attorney and judge himself. As we were waiting to pay the county clerk the trooper who ticketed me and 2 local attorneys came up and congratulated her as they were very impressed by her presentation/argument during our trial.

As we sat in the court waiting for our trial I was amazed at the type of tickets that troopers gave out. Some were for crooked license plates brackets, replacing license plate frame light bulbs with LED bulbs and even a reckless driving ticket to an 85 year old gentleman for jumping the curb in a strip mall. I watched all the local attorneys defending their clients but none of them argued for their clients. They simply took what ever the DA offered and the judge agreed to without reservation. All of the reckless driving tickets were for out of state drivers such as myself so, it was clear that they target us more than the locals. These small rural counties need our money to generate revenue to stay afloat.

I wholeheartedly recommend hiring Andi for any driving violation in the state of Virginia. Once again, thanks to my fellow Fchatters for helping me through this ordeal.

If any one needs further details please email me directly at [email protected]

Sfumato, C50, Kaivball and 1 other person like this.
  9. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Glad you had a favorable conclusion to your ticket.

10. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Glad you had a favorable outcome. It was an interesting observation that "local" attorney's do not necessarily go overboard for out-of-state clients. Hiring an "outside" gun slinger may be the smartest strategy after all, even though the most expensive (travel time).

11. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    Speeding tickets on high speed highways are a crock. Get on 695 around Baltimore and go 55 they will write you a ticket for impeding traffic.

12. fou

fou Formula 3

Feb 1, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Full Name:
    Call me the breeze
    #13 fou, Feb 10, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
    i have been off this forum for a while. I still do nothing but criminal and traffic [email protected]

I still have my 575, just been busy with other stuff...been back the last month to see how everyone has been. Happy New Year and keep off your cell phone when driving....

morgan

13. fou

fou Formula 3

Feb 1, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Full Name:
    Call me the breeze
    OPPS i gave out my email address by accident that was a mistake!!!!!

I meant morgandefense.com

hey dm_n_stuff your daughter doing alright? i remember when she went to law school

It's been that long

and Em65 bet your wife still looks better than you.

my kid is doing ballet like yours did

both you guys contact me in email and lets catch up

14. Ferris Bueller

Ferris Bueller Formula 3

Mar 23, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Dominic
    Great new Jay
    Let's get together once spring hits and go for a drive out in the pines

- Dominic

15. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Hey Morgan, glad to hear your still out there and doing well.
    Ray

16. Bisonte

Bisonte F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2007
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Why's that? To keep from being tracked over distance in time?

17. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
  18. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
  19. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Thanks Ron! She tied for 2nd at the Virginia Horse Trails in the Fall in her division. She has great instructors, teammates and gets to rub elbows with the Olympic Team in the summer at our barn in The Plains. They train at our facility for 2 weeks in July, pretty cool stuff.

20. fou

fou Formula 3

Feb 1, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Full Name:
    Call me the breeze
    No, to keep from being distracted and killing someone. Including yourself.

Be safe

Bisonte likes this.
  21. fou

fou Formula 3

Feb 1, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Full Name:
    Call me the breeze
    Robert, she looks impressive. Bet owning horses is 10 Times more expensive than your old yellow lady!

I should have hit you up this past summer with my delay at Dulles. Stay cool.

22. fou

fou Formula 3

Feb 1, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Full Name:
    Call me the breeze
    Still keeping them out of jail. Your old house does not look as fashionable as when you lived there.

Good to hear from you

23. Bisonte

Bisonte F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2007
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Ah, I was overthinking it. Gotcha, and agreed. :)

24. fou

fou Formula 3

Feb 1, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Full Name:
    Call me the breeze
    I am sure you want to know...

Recently decided Supreme Court rulings require a warrant for cell phone access. So any speed data would require a warrant, as well as active use of cell.

The interesting issues I see is if it applies to GPS units in the car.

Recent rulings require warrants for trackers. So the issue becomes privacy.
    Not even sure if a GPS in your car can be used without a warrant at this time in Virginia