HELP - Some weird extra parts in the engine bay 308QV | FerrariChat

HELP - Some weird extra parts in the engine bay 308QV

Discussion in '308/328' started by SE328, May 11, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SE328

SE328 Rookie

Jul 25, 2019
    Munich / germany
    Full Name:
    Stephan Eicher
    Dear all,

I am located in Germany and have just bought a very nice 308 QV in Switzerland.
    It is a Euro model (german delivery 1985) but spent some time in the US between 1987 and 1991 before it got reimported to Switzerland.
    Besides the red sidemarkers this US owner installed some extra parts in the engine bay that I really don´t understand what this is for. Have never seen it before.
    Can somebody please tell me what this red marked pieces are good for?
    Two hoses coming out of the airbox
    It has definately no cathalytic converter so I guess its not a secondary air injection or whatever.
    Or would that also help pass the smogtest even without cat?
    This round black can-thing- what is this?
    Thanks for your help already.
    Cheers to all of you
    Stephan
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Looks like a charcoal canister.

3. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #3 Steve Magnusson, May 11, 2021
    Last edited: May 11, 2021
    +1 -- an added fuel evaporation control system.

OP -- It may also have a frequency valve and aftermarket ECU added somewhere (to add a crude "with Lambda" functionality) as the rubber line at the center port of the fuel distributor (in addition to the banjo bolt) is a common place to add it into the control pressure plumbing. Have you ever followed the small rubber line connected to the fuel distributor center port and see what it is connected to? Do you still have an O2 sensor mounted somewhere in the exhaust system (it may not since you report having no cat now)?
    This is how the (unmodified) fuel distributor plumbing looks on a euro 308QV (K-Jet without Lambda):
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. newto308

newto308 Karting

Mar 20, 2007
    McLean, Virginia
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Charcoal filter for vapors from the fuel system. Tore mine out of my GT4.

5. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    It is hard to tell from your photo, but the oil cooler looks like it is missing or hidden by extra hoses going to some mysterious place in the vicinity of the side scoop on the left side of the car. It should provide air to the oil cooler.

6. miked

miked Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Nice car Stephan, welcome to the forum.

As already mentioned the canister is a charcoal filter. If the car came to the US in 1987 it would have to have been "upgraded" to US smog and lighting specs. The charcoal filter captures gasoline vapors from the fuel tank then sends them to the engine to be burned. The hoses probably are related to the vapor capture system. The light "upgraded" you already know about. There may well be crash beams installed inside the doors as that was one of the requirements at the time.

There was somewhat of a cottage industry of modifying non US spec cars for importation. Some cars were modified with excellent engineering and execution, most were hacked just enough to get by less than knowledgeable government inspectors. One of those places was local to me. I remember when the DOT/EPA/FBI raided the place, they seized about a dozen exotic cars and sent the business owner off to jail. My boss at the time (mid 1980's) had been in early negotiations for one of the cars. He lucked out, had he bought a car there they would have seized it from him.

7. RamsHmb

RamsHmb Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    James
    This is super helpful as I have an 83 euro qv and I am doing an engine out light resto/mod on. I have the charcoal filter and want to delete. Assuming that I do, where do I vent the gas vapor or does a euro car not have a t for the line? Not sure if that question makes sense.

8. BrockBenson

BrockBenson Formula Junior

Oct 18, 2018
    Australia
    Hi Stephan, I think most of your answers are above. I have a US QV and the proper place for the carbon canister is behind the right rear wheel well cover (from memory) and they are a little smaller than the one that was fitted to your 308!

9. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Yes the evap charcoal canister on a US car you'd be hard pressed to even know it was there. It's hidden pretty well.