Help please - first attempt at smoking... | FerrariChat

Help please - first attempt at smoking...

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by arizonaitalian, Aug 27, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    I posted in the “low and slow” thread in silver, but then realized I would likely get some good advice in the food forum o_O

Hoping for some “how to” advice and suggestions please...

I got my first smoker this week (Camp Chef pellet) and picked up a giant bone-in 2.5lb, 3” inch thick ribeye at Costco. Thought I’d try to smoke it and maybe then reverse sear it.

Anyone have some advice and recipe/instructions for this?

Other than eating bbq, I’ve never smoked anything, so I’m a total dummy, no advice or suggestions can be too simple. Anything from meat prep to rub to cook instructions is appreciated.

(For example - I googled and found a couple of recipes that called for “dry brine-ing” with salt for a few hours...I’d never heard of such a thing)

Thanks!

2. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Bro , this should help with your first attempt at smoking.
    After you cut the cap , roast the foot with a flame then insert into your mouth and light the foot again. Best , Kirk.

wax, Jdubbya, arizonaitalian and 4 others like this.
  3. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Head to youtube. While this isn't maybe as instructional as you'd want I really love these guys.

As for the salt brine, I've seen two ways. Sprinkle on it or completely cover it. I just do a sprinkle what I feel is an appropriate amount up to a day before on whatever cut of beef I'm using and place on a cooling rack in a pan in to the fridge.

When it comes to smoking, you've just gotta do it over and over again. I spent too much time trying to read instead of experiementing.

4. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I know nothing about pellet stoves, so take this with a grain of salt...

0. Big honking chunk of beef like that, take it out of the fridge well in advance of cooking.
    1. For beef, no wood flavor is better than oak in my opinion. If you can't get that, mesquite and pecan are good too.
    2. I don't know about pellet stoves, but the smokers I have used always seem to take a while for the temp to equilibrate, so make sure things are stable temp-wise before smoking.
    3. For a 3" steak & reverse sear, make sure you have a reliable thermometer. Nice, thick steak like that, the poke taste will not do you much good.
    4. Don't use pepper until after it is cooked. The pepper will char when you do the high-temp sear step.
    5. Best fat for searing, bacon fat! If it were me, I would do the searing outside, keeps smoke detectors from going off. :)
    6. For a big fat steak like that, you may need to sear it on the edges!

Have fun with the new smoker and post up some pics...T

ScottJon and arizonaitalian like this.
  5. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    I would salt it with good grey salt liberally....most will fall off. Sit on counter several hours to let the water soluble proteins to surface and warm the meat. If I was to smoke it first, lowest heat/high smoke setting on pellet grill, mine does 180 on high smoke, Rec Tec grill. I think it would be critical to have a temp probe in the middle of the steak. Take it off at 126-8 degrees, crank the pellet to 550 or highest setting or use another direct heat grill for the final browning. Should come out around 130 ish for medium rare. or 1-3 degrees more for hotter pink... sounds pretty good! Costco road show meat or do they always have that size monster laying around? Cheers and let us know how it comes out.

arizonaitalian and tomc like this.
  6. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Thanks gents.

7. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    New Costco opened in idaho falls and they had a good amount of prime grade beef in their trademark blue packaging. I picked up some rib caps, filets and this giant ribeye. All prime grade and cheap at $11.99 for the ribeye and 13.99 per pound for the filet and $15.99 for the rib cap.

Made me think it was some sort of special for the grand opening. Cooked the rib caps on my gas grill a couple of days ago, they were fantastic. Filets had to get frozen. Rib eye tomorrow...

8. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    Those rib caps are great. I cook them in my carbon steel pans then to 500 degree oven to finish. Nice crust forms...great with my 2013 Lodi Calif Cabernet I bottled a few years back.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

tomc and arizonaitalian like this.
  9. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    TexasF355F1 likes this.
  10. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    And...

*now* I get why so many are into smokers and the cult-like following of Traegers (I have a different brand). This was arguably the best tasting beef I've ever had. I was shocked quite honestly. I did as per the @powerpig recommendation and it was smokey, well-seasoned and tender. My guests could not stop praising it...one even texted twice after she got home to say again how amazing it was. Sheesh...shoulda got one of these a long time ago.

11. powerpig

powerpig F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 12, 2008
    Huntsville, AL
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Glad it worked well for you!

arizonaitalian likes this.
  12. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    Really liking my Rec Tec as well. Try beer butt chicken...I'd never cooked one before this grill....really comes out juicy. Dry brine it with salt for 24 hours in frig then smoke it. Great for pulling apart and having tacos or whatever. Steak looks great. I am going to get one of the those next time I see them.

13. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    great minds and all...at the local farmer's market this week I picked up two whole chickens and earlier this morning I pressed "order now" on this:

14. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Knocked it out of the park!
    T

wax likes this.
  15. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    My dad has the same brand.

16. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    Nice! dry brine for super crispy chicken skin!

17. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    I'm back...second smoking attempt today will be chicken thighs and drumsticks with the skin on...help/advice appreciated!

@tomc
    @powerpig
    @BrettC
    @TexasF355F1
    And anyone else please!

TexasF355F1 likes this.
  18. powerpig

powerpig F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 12, 2008
    Huntsville, AL
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    #18 powerpig, Sep 3, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
    Next time, try to get quarters.

Carefully seperate skin from meat. Don't remove, just seperate.

Massage BBQ rub under skin into meat.

Rub skin with oil then BBQ rub.

Smoke at 225 for one hour.

Increase heat to 350 for 30-45 minutes or internal temp of 165.

Slap your Momma and eat.

TexasF355F1 and arizonaitalian like this.
  19. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Thanks!

no brining?

20. powerpig

powerpig F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 12, 2008
    Huntsville, AL
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Not with dark meat.

tomc and arizonaitalian like this.
  21. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I revert to what PP says.

tomc and powerpig like this.
  22. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    I like to salt dry rub the skin and leave in frig for 24 hours on a rack. dries out the skin for crispness but PP method looks good too. Might have to try it. I usually don't do a BBQ style flavoring rub as it's just not to my taste. Let us know the turnout!!

TexasF355F1 likes this.
  23. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Ugh, total fail tonight. Disgusting chicken...

I learned a hard lesson;

Deviate from the @powerpig instructions are your own peril. I went for longer lower and then shorter at high temp and...yup...the fat didn’t render and Th e skin was like rubbery leather. Yuch.

24. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    That's a pain. To be honest, I usually grill/smoke chicken with the skin on and then remove before serving. I've never been a big fan of the skin of chicken, unlike crispy duck skin.

T

25. ScottJon

ScottJon Karting

Jul 14, 2018
    Hollywood. Ca. USA
    Full Name:
    Scott Leibow
    Chicken gets smoked at a much higher temperature than pork or beef, 325-350 degrees. They cook much quicker too, I always spatchcock my chicken before I cook.

Look up www.amazingribs.com

Best website ab book you can use if you are new to this. I promise

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat