Help please, car overheating...odd | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Help please, car overheating...odd

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by bpu699, Oct 27, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JL350

JL350 Karting

Jan 20, 2013
    I would change the radiator cap and thermostats as soon as there is an overheating or cooling issue. Also is the coolant changed regularly, although if there is no signs of corrosion with past maintenance then it might not be an issue, but could there be some partial blockage, either in the heater or radiators, flushing used to be common place once upon a time.

2. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    There’s zero corrosion. System is clean as can be... coolant fluids have been changed every couple years since new...

Didn’t think about the coolant cap...

JL350 likes this.
  3. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Alright, updates...

Took the thermostats out. I forgot how much fun that was to do :)

Thermostats look and work fine. Reviewed my records these thing were replaced 12 years and about 5000 miles ago...

Placed them in water on the stove. They both open at about the same time (ones a tad faster to open maybe by 5 degrees) close at the same time, move the same distance.

Doesn’t seem much sense replace them again? I assume these thing either work or they don’t... and the Ferrari ones ain’t $10.

With the laser gun. Pointed at the water, both seem to start opening at about 165 and fully open at 175 or so. I have no idea how accurate the laser thermometer is... which is odd, because I was pretty much always around 195 when cruising around...I’m assuming that’s the temp the fans go on at...

Looking at the way the coolant flows, there really is no way to have pressurized coolant shooting out into the coolant overflow tank and not have it come out of the bleeders. Physical impossibility, at least with the thermostat open at temp. I guess I could have had a lot of air somewhere in the system?

Either way seems the thermostats work, though it was a pain to verify...

Next step is to verify the thermostat switch works...which in hindsight should have been the first step except I was convinced one side was cooling slower. I guess a 5 degree difference in thermostats will do that...:)...

Is there any point in changing the thermostats???

If my logic is off, someone feel free to say so...

A question for the pundits... when youre cruising at 50 mph or so, are the fans necessary to provide cooling, or are they off all the time at those speeds? I’m working from recollection, but when I last did a long drive in October and first noticed an issue, on major roads going 45-50 mph temps were slightly over 195, and quickly climbed with slower speed (assuming no fans)...

4. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    One easy thing to do (when it's reading more than normal, like ~3/4 on the water temp gauge) is to leave it idling, get out, and put your hand in front of the rear wheels on each side -- will quickly let you confirm/deny if both fans are working correctly by judging the airflow exiting the radiators and the temperature of that air.

5. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Thanks Steve, will do that next weekend, once the thermostats are back in...

I would guess either the temp sending unit is out, or one of the relays, etc.

Just happy it’s not anything serious. Coolant looks great, no issues...

Now that my boys are 18 plan to drive the heck out of the car... I used to worry about mileage... don’t care anymore...

6. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    when you put in the thermostats use the one with lower degrees when open for the left side

somewhere in this forum it is written what other thermostats will fit. I think from BMW?

when you are only crusing with 50 mph in 4th or 5th gear and not going uphill then the fans are off, except just before you have been going with high rpm´s, then the engine has to cool down first

fridolin_pt likes this.
  7. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Finally got around to changing the temp radiator switch. Fixed everything. 100 degrees in Wisconsin today, car ran at 190 degrees no issues, traffic or not... $20 part, easy fix. Thanks guys...