Help needed -- ran 2 days ago, now won't start | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Help needed -- ran 2 days ago, now won't start

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by El Viejo Loco, Nov 23, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. El Viejo Loco

El Viejo Loco Rookie

Feb 5, 2015
    Middle TN
    Full Name:
    Michael D
    Yup, already done most of that since I posted. I was able to suck fuel from tanks to engine via suction at engine fuel line; loaded filter-to-pump line with fuel; still no effect from energizing pumps. Based on sound/feel, I think only 1 pump was working and thus fuel was short-circuiting. I'm ordered 2 new Facet 476087 silver-tops and am in the midst of dropping the old pumps (original to car, so not gonna just replace one) and will bench-test when I've got them out.
    Remaining hopeful....

2. El Viejo Loco

El Viejo Loco Rookie

Feb 5, 2015
    Middle TN
    Full Name:
    Michael D
  3. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    #28 samsaprunoff, Dec 15, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
    Good day Michael,

If you are not getting fuel at the engine side of the fuel line, then what not simply remove the other end of the line at the fuel pump and blow some air through it to ensure that the line is not plugged, collapsed, or kinked (before removing the hose at the pump, ensure to have a small section of plugged hose, etc to stop any fuel that may flow from the pump even when off)? Doing this will determine if the fuel flow problem is from the pump backwards or forward. If forward... then a hose issue... if backward, then the you will need to dig deeper into the pump, filter, and or feed from the fuel tank.

Cheers,

Sam

4. El Viejo Loco

El Viejo Loco Rookie

Feb 5, 2015
    Middle TN
    Full Name:
    Michael D
    Suction at the engine fuel delivery hose pulls fuel all the way from the tank, which I interpret as leaving only one reasonable possibility: fuel pump failure.

5. El Viejo Loco

El Viejo Loco Rookie

Feb 5, 2015
    Middle TN
    Full Name:
    Michael D
    Pulled both pumps, tested: one pumped exuberantly, the other not at all. I'll replace both; pumps arriving Tuesday (ojala) from Pegasus Racing, $98 apiece.

6. larryg

larryg Karting

Jun 30, 2004
    Louisville, KY
    Full Name:
    Larryg
    Just installed those on ours as we also only had one pump working. I highly suggest replacing the fuel lines if you haven't done so already. It wasn't as hard to do as I expected and the rubber was in terrible shape.

7. El Viejo Loco

El Viejo Loco Rookie

Feb 5, 2015
    Middle TN
    Full Name:
    Michael D
    Good point. I'm looking carefully at the fuel lines but mine were replaced after I bought the car and still look/feel good, except the little jumpers between the pumps.

8. El Viejo Loco

El Viejo Loco Rookie

Feb 5, 2015
    Middle TN
    Full Name:
    Michael D
    Final (?) update to this thread: after replacing both pumps and energizing, I found some under-hood fuel lines seeping so replaced the hoses from the t-junction to the carb fuel rails. Everything stayed dry, and she started right up and ran great. Whew! Just in time for delivery to my daughter as a Christmas present.
    Thanks to all for the help and advice, and happy holidays!

Jasonberkeley likes this.
  9. roger21

roger21 Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Stéphane
  10. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
    Nice Christmas present! Hope she appreciates the car and your many years of dedicated ownership!