Help needed please!! | FerrariChat

Help needed please!!

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by squidmark, Jul 25, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. squidmark

squidmark Karting

Sep 11, 2011
    Oxford
    Full Name:
    Howard Dent
    #1 squidmark, Jul 25, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    At last my 365 is ready for the final colour coats - only about 3 months overdue...

Anyway, I have been asked a technical question by the paintshop - there is a trim strip attached to the sill flange which they have spent many hours rescuing because I can't locate new ones, and now they want to know if it is painted/polished/whatever! I have a copy of the sales brochure but it doesn't show a good view of the part, and mine had about 20 coats of paint on them, so I'm at a loss to answer the man.

If possible could someone with more knowledge than me (not difficult) please put me out of my misery - is it polished or painted. My second question is related to the first - I know the rear lamp panel is black (satin black I think?), but does the body colour go right down the bottom of the sill, or is there a change to black halfway down. On a 400, does it not have a trim strip at this point where the black begins?

I'm confused - put me out of my misery - another lucky owner must have pics of his sills, musn't he?

Ever hopeful, Howard.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. alastairhouston

alastairhouston Formula Junior

Apr 19, 2009
    Largs Scotland UK
    Full Name:
    Alastair Houston
    Hello Howard
    just at the same bit as you getting ready for colour coats mines a 400GT

For the first question mine too was painted and I am pretty sure that is what it should remain if I am correct in assuming you mean the strips that go along the bottom of the sills as opposed to the chrome strips at the change of angle?

From the chrome strips to the bottom of the sills I have seen some cars with black stone chip there and some cars with same colour as body there. I am intending to stone chip paint there and overcoat with body colour instead of the black.

Mine was black originally and I am repainting Canna De Fucile 703/C (gun metal silver) which I got the paint code from Ferraris colour choices on the new range 'classic' colours configurator.

Would be interesting to hear who else has sill black or otherwise regardless of bodycolour below the chrome strip.

On the matt black rear tail mine was gloss black same as body and am sure it was original so would be interesting to know also were all others matt black or were there differences between the 365 400 400is etc

all good
    Regards
    Alastair

3. alastairhouston

Apr 19, 2009
    Largs Scotland UK
    Full Name:
    Alastair Houston
    #3 alastairhouston, Jul 25, 2012
    heres pick
    black to trim then stone chip black though ive seen other coloured cars with black stone chip below the chrome trim.
    Am i right in assuming you dont have the chrome strip on the 365?

4. squidmark

squidmark Karting

Sep 11, 2011
    Oxford
    Full Name:
    Howard Dent
    Yes, that's right - I don't have the stainless strip at the mid line of the sill, merely the strip on the sill flange at the bottom, which you say is black on yours (or rather, body colour!). I think the rear panel colour detail only applies to the 365, but I stand to be corrected!

Many thanks for your input :)

5. kliko312

kliko312 Karting

May 21, 2008
    NLD
    Full Name:
    Graaf
    #5 kliko312, Jul 26, 2012
  6. squidmark

squidmark Karting

Sep 11, 2011
    Oxford
    Full Name:
    Howard Dent
    Thanks for more info - however, mine certainly does not have the stainless steel strip below the door aperture, which makes me wonder if that is a later chassis number addition ie the 400 is coming and it will look like this? My chassis number is 17989 by the way. Unfortunately it isn't possible to make out the the strip on the sill flange, but I'm assuming the sill is black below the stainless strip on your car Kliko?

Unfortunately the parts book is of little help...

Howard.

7. Highmiler

Highmiler Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2010
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Greg
    #7 Highmiler, Jul 26, 2012
  8. alastairhouston

Apr 19, 2009
    Largs Scotland UK
    Full Name:
    Alastair Houston
    Howard
    unbelievably there is a guy here in my town Largs (west coast scotland) who has a 365 his is 1973 and he has the chrome strip.
    Would be interesting like you say to find out if the first cars maybe didnt. Which year is yours?
    Regards
    Alastair

9. squidmark

squidmark Karting

Sep 11, 2011
    Oxford
    Full Name:
    Howard Dent
    Thanks for more info; I think this means I have the lower strips body colour (or black) at least, then hopefully I can find out whether mine should have the stainless strip below the door aperture.

Greg - yours being a 400 looks how I would expect it to be, but a useful detail re the black paint below the strip nonetheless - thank you for that.

Alistair - another one so close! Mine is a '75 so makes it a bit odd if it doesn't have the strip - mine that is. I have the strips I think from a broken 400i, but looking at the Autocar magazine from October '75 plainly shows the cover car without them...

Is that sound of teeth being pulled - I think so!

Howard.

10. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    My 1974 365 is 17819(also at the paintshop BTW),it has the stainless strip(unpainted,natural) below the door and painted black underneath.
    Speakin' of pulled teeth,I had to get one done yesterday!!

11. alastairhouston

Apr 19, 2009
    Largs Scotland UK
    Full Name:
    Alastair Houston

12. alastairhouston

Apr 19, 2009
    Largs Scotland UK
    Full Name:
    Alastair Houston

Ouch

sympathy on the tooth! The gorgeous new paint job will ease all worries and if that doesnt do it blasting along the road in the machine definitely will!!!!

Would be fun to hear how the relative paint jobs go with these three.

Regards
    Alastair

13. Tassie

Tassie Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2009
    Tasmania, Australia
    Full Name:
    Wayne Clark
    Seems 400 & 400i have the trim, 412 not. All have black below trim/ body line.
    Don't know about the 365.

14. Bill26

Bill26 Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2005
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Bill Murdoch
    Still "resale red"?

15. squidmark

squidmark Karting

Sep 11, 2011
    Oxford
    Full Name:
    Howard Dent
    Again, thanks to all for their considered input :)

I can find no evidence of my car ever having the strip immediately below the door, so am guessing (??) that for whatever reason, Ferrari saw fit to equip some 365s with that strip (eg Kliko) and some without (Front cover shot Autocar mag Oct '75). What I find rather odd however, is that Simon's car would also be RHD (?), is 70 cars earlier than mine (if they run sequence?), and also has the strip! I'm convinced all cars have the painted strip on the sill flange however - so that's good, I think...

As an aside (I might have to start another thread) - does anyone have a spare trim that fits under the front bumper centre section, as mine has made a bid for freedom at some point? I have tried all the normal channels for a replacement, but so far nothing :-(

And lastly, if anyone has an uncracked (not worried about faded orange indicator, or whether it's clear) r/h side/indicator lens I have a need! I don't want to buy a new one as it wont match my restored l/h one - and I don't need to buy a pair as I'm spending a fortune on paint and engine etc.

Howard.

16. kliko312

kliko312 Karting

May 21, 2008
    NLD
    Full Name:
    Graaf
    #16 kliko312, Jul 28, 2012
    Howard,

Sorry for the delay. I made some more detailed pictures today. I hope these are more helpfull. The chassis number of my car is 17919.

Good luck again, Jan

17. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    Yes Bill,I could'nt stump up the other $11K to do the colour change.

18. Highmiler

Highmiler Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2010
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Greg
    #18 Highmiler, Jul 29, 2012
    Hello Howard,
    I have a pair of take off lenses. The RH side if pictured below. Both sides have the bolt hole bottoms broken but will stay put with washers. The photo is of the old lens compared to the new one.
    If you can use the old ones let me know.
    Greg

19. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    Howard, i know I've got one lens - not sure which side but I'll check asap

I'm in Essex so carriage will be cheap - if it's the correct side you're welcome to it. Russ

20. squidmark

squidmark Karting

Sep 11, 2011
    Oxford
    Full Name:
    Howard Dent
    PM sent - and thanks!!

Howard.

21. squidmark

squidmark Karting

Sep 11, 2011
    Oxford
    Full Name:
    Howard Dent
    Jan, brilliant pics - just what I need!

Many thanks for your input, hopefully I shall have some pics of my own to share soon. As I have said, mine doesn't appear to have ever had the stainless strips, but I now know exactly where to put them if I do fit them - and you even thought to show where the black ends on the rear panel, superb. If you look back at the thread about the cars we drive, I posted some pics of my car there when I first bought it; it was green with no black paint at all, so I had no clue as to exactly how it should look.

Very many thanks for taking the trouble to take such detailed pics.

Best regards, Howard.

22. alastairhouston

Apr 19, 2009
    Largs Scotland UK
    Full Name:
    Alastair Houston
    Howard
    Let me know how you get on with the indicator lenses. I too am struggling with mine ive got the paint for the lenses but have managed to mess one up using too aggresive thinners ouch.

I might still be able to save the lens using media polishing of some kind ime in the process of trying to find industrial plastic polishing company that might do it.

Once your sorted I might ask kindly to anyone out there with another old rh side one in any condition. Maybe if Russ has still one ??
    Regards
    Alastair

23. Highmiler

Highmiler Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2010
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I realize all y'all are way "back east" and transportation is an issue.
    Still, I have a pair of weathered take out amber/clear lenses I will give away for the cost of the freight.
    They have additional issues but are servicable.
    Greg

24. squidmark

squidmark Karting

Sep 11, 2011
    Oxford
    Full Name:
    Howard Dent
    Greg - I have sent a pm with my shipping details, and am extremely grateful for your kindness!

What more can I say, except thanks :)

Best regards, Howard.

25. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    Alastair, did you get my PM ?