Help! Need Carfax after a cracked block! | FerrariChat

Help! Need Carfax after a cracked block!

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by iceburns288, Nov 7, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. iceburns288

iceburns288 Formula 3

Jun 19, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles M.
    One of my friends cracked the block all the way through (I duno, he says there is a hole the size of his fist in the block!) on his Civic, but it had less than 90 thousand miles on it, and he had only driven about 7 thousand of those miles.

Ok, not really sure if Carfax charges per lookup, but if some of y'all are members (I dunno how Carfax works, are there members?) but if it won't cost you anything can you look it up. If it costs money, then don't worry too much about it. Thanks for any potential help!

1HGEJ8247VL062388

2. iceburns288

iceburns288 Formula 3

Jun 19, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles M.
    haha whoops thanks for the move!

3. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere

CarFax information generally isn't worth the paper it is written on. First, you would have to assume that major work of some kind was REPORTED to some database that CarFax would harvest. That fact alone means that 99.9% of the major work (or problems) out there of any kind will not be picked up by CarFax. What repair shop is going to "tattle" on its customer? Duhhhhhh. That includes MAJOR BODY REPAIR.

CarFax is a MARKETING SCHEME, not a way to check a vehicle's history.

4. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

I partially agree. The value of CarFax is that it shows registration/inspection history and usually allows an potential buyer to assess the mileage and locale driven. With regard to major damage, I agree, CarFax is worthless.

-d

5. iceburns288

iceburns288 Formula 3

Jun 19, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles M.
    Thanks. I dunno about Carfax though, thanks for the 'update'. :D

As in, I don't know how it works lol. Thanks. :D

6. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    Find a friendly honda dealer service rep, see if he can run it thru warranty DB. If it had probs under warranty, it'll be there. if a home/private shop job, you're SOL.
    HTH

7. GTO84

GTO84 Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    Sounds like it used to have a turbo or nitrous.