Help. Need a 30 day plan to loose 8-10lbs. Now. | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Help. Need a 30 day plan to loose 8-10lbs. Now.

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Valenzo, May 19, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Trent

Trent Formula 3

Dec 10, 2003
    Indialantic, FL
    Full Name:
    Trent
    Great work! and nice socks

4 pounds = 14,000 calories below your BMI + DIT + Activity. (DIT = Dietary Induced Thermogenesis, basically the bodies expenditure to process the calories)

So for 11 days you have managed to remove 1272 calories / day, or more likely you added some more activity and removed some calories. But the deficit was 1272 on average. You should pat yourself on the back!

The math is simple; 3500 calories = 1 pound of fat gone from your scale. Sure you have to eat right, etc, but the calorie math is the physics of the problem.

Keep it up and keep updating us....

2. Bounce

Bounce Formula 3

Nov 30, 2009
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    You guys make it seem so easy!

I'm probably the most active I've been in my entire life right now but I also eat the worst I've ever had.

I can't control cravings at all.

I've been working at my current work for just over a year and half now, when I started working here I didn't eat sugar and didn't touch fast food.

It didn't appeal to me and I had no hunger for it.

I ate my veggies and stuck to simple home food.

It's an active job I don't sit down much always running around getting things done and I think soon it will pay off (buying an M5 with saved money soon)

That all changed with work, for example in the morning around 8:30am there is a coffee guy that comes round and I got into the habit of getting a Mocha/hot chocolate (it's cold in the morning now)

To make matters worse at 11am there's a food van that turns up, I get a chocolate doughnut along with a 450mL energy drink (V blue) and usually some sort of hot food ei pizza sub.

but wait there is more! 1-2pm brings lunchtime, the other guys at work usually go for KFC/other fast food and I get dragged along...

That's like $50 in food a day...

Actually writing this up just makes it seem even more ridiculous... :S

The good part is, I cycle to and from work for the past couple of months and sometimes do 30km+ rides I find cycling easy to keep pace and ride fast.

It used to be a 20 minute ride up a few hills in the morning mostly riding flat out so a decent amount of exercise.

I now have it down to 13mins going as hard as I can keep pace.

and after getting to work I go and ingest all that crap making the ride null of any benefit..

I'm 22, 182cm tall and I think 80kg size 34 pants but usually wear 36 because my thighs have gotten that big...

Any tips on what to eat? I don't know what to do anymore I just want my thighs back to normal :(

Sorry for thread jacking, I just finished eating a dominos pizza at 10pm just to set the mood... I need to learn to cook.

3. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
  4. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    The short take away from the book (I've read it)--carbs are bad, wheat is bad, and newer hybridized wheat is even worse. The key is to realize what I've said before--not everyone is going to have a wheat or carb processing issue. If you do, though, the book has a lot of good advice on what to eat and what to avoid.

5. Trent

Trent Formula 3

Dec 10, 2003
    Indialantic, FL
    Full Name:
    Trent
    You need your own thread.

But it sounds like you realize what you are doing wrong. Its hard to get back to where you were, and just switching back to that diet wont do it, you will have to eat less than you burn for a while. Start a thread and I will try and help put something together...

6. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    Ok so I'm teetering now between 187 & 190. I've been very good, I'm proud of my restraint from sweets...my home is a crack den for sweets and I've said no each and every time. Last night we went out for pizza, the family ate a big pie, I, ate a chicken salad. Afterwards, a big slice of chocolate pie for all, not me, I said no.

But I'm still only 3-6 lbs off of where I started. I haven't added any cardio, but every evening I do 15 reps of 125lbs on my shop bench press. Not much, I know, but I figure its something.

This ain't easy.

7. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    No, it isn't. Lots of possibilities. They include:

Carbs and/or sugar is still finding its way more into your diet than you think.
    Your other foods are more calorically dense than you think (nut butters, for example).
    Your body has adjusted it metabolic rate and/or metabolic processes to provide some "emergency" compensation for your decreased nutrient intake.
    Your efforts at increased activity have built a little more muscle, so while your body fat may be down 8 pounds, you body muscle may be up 3, so you are only a net 5 pounds down.

For me, I would experience weight loss as a series of rapid drops and plateaus, without any seemingly significant change in my diet nor activity level.

8. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    You have to add activity of some sort. You can't be really healthy off of diet alone. One set of bench press is not active.

But as Scotty said, it isn't steady (unless you're just changing lifestyle for long run). When working to lose it went in spurts for me.

we worked truly hard to find the right combination of working out (weight and cardio) and food so that we could still enjoy booze and desert and pizza... just in correct portions. My 5'7 114lb wife with six pack abs will chase a truck down ten city blocks for good bacon... because it's worth the work for her. I do the same for good tequila.

You can do it. You just have to want it enough. For some that means cutting out all sorts of food. For others that means lots of working out. Find your happy median where you can do it and stick with it all the time so you are long-term happy. Diets fail because they aren't lifestyle changes for sustainable long-term health.

9. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    I think there are two core truths:

1) To maintain any weight loss, you have to think long term lifestyle changes, not diet (as Statler said).

2) You can lose weight and be inactive (very hard) just like you can eat tons of crap and lose weight (also very hard, unless you are riding the Tour de France). The key is balancing the two.

10. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    #86 Valenzo, Jun 4, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    i cant say i'm power walking 2 miles a day, but I'm definately walking around my factory/office 2 miles per day. Over the weekend we had an aggressive game of soccer, albeit with my 3 kids but i did sweat.

One thing that gives me great encouragement is my belt holes. I wear a 34" pant and im now one hole before the end of some, comfortably. So i believe ive lost an inch around my waist so that makes me feel really good.

heres a pic i just took to prove it. Yes, an old belt, but a good one :) my thumb is indicating the hole im at.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Get yourself a pedometer, I bet you'd be surprised at how much walking you actually do at work and around the house. On an average day I'm over 5 miles not counting anything done at the gym.

12. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    Theres an ap for that

My wife told me just last night to get the iphone pedometer ap. since its my pocket most of the day, maybe that would work.

13. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    186 lbs this morning. Thats 7lbs down in 17 days :). 3 more lbs for my goal and 13 days to do it. Thanks guys, im seeing something here.

14. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    186 this evening.!! That made me SMILE. I've up the bench pressing to 3 sets of 15. And I walk a little more aggressively. Lol. Still no sugar.

But 186 day in and day out is great. Thanks guys. Just 6 more to go. I changed my goal to 180.

15. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Awesome!

Keep it up and you will hit your goal.

16. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    Be careful with just doing a "push" exercise. Muscle imbalance can result.

17. Trent

Trent Formula 3

Dec 10, 2003
    Indialantic, FL
    Full Name:
    Trent
    Why stop at 180? I went from 188 to 147 ;)

For me 188 was a decent walking weight, but 15% or so BF on 6' 1" was a little too high and reduced my selection of the opposite sex.

147 is way, way, too lean, just for one event. Will be gaining some back in muscle mass.

Working out makes it so much easier to reach and maintain a weight goal. The extra 300 calories / day equals one of the following:
    1. Losing an extra 2 pounds / month *assuming diet not modified
    2. Being able to eat an additional 300 cal / day *assuming you want to eat instead of lose weight
    3. Losing a pound a month, and eating an extra 150 cal / day. The best of both worlds!

Working out is good for your overall health, not just weight loss. Look 10 years into the future. Your health is a fundamental necessity and spending the time and effort to maintain it will yield fruit for the rest of your life, while extending it.

18. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    #94 Valenzo, Jun 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  19. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Told you so! ;)

It gets even better when you eliminate processed carbs and your body goes back to its' natural fat burning state. Your metabolism will kick in like a furnace and burn fat for energy.

Keep up the good work.

20. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    Ok, simply put, what's a processed carb I should eliminate off the bat?

I had pasta and broccoli last night, it was cooked in olive oil and some light seasoning. I couldn't help eating it, was so good but I couldn't help thinking of you guys wagging your fingers at me. Is pasta a processed carb?

I've been following you Hotshoe because you made this simple to follow. Trent youre awesome but intimidating ;)

21. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Well, the carb solution gets tricky for most people. Many will say to avoid any type of pasta, bread, rice, etc. that is "white"mtomkeepmit simple. I'm Italian also so I know how integral carbs/pasta is to our culture but I went to the extreme.

I take in zero carbs from grains. I mean ZERO. I do eat tons of fruit and vegetables but I avoid rice and bread entirely. I also completely avoid dairy and legumes such as corn and nut. People constantly tell me it's impossible to live with zero carbs but I'm walking proof that is a fallacy.

Such an extreme isn't necessary for you BUT I would say if you really want to get thin continue on zero sugar and focus on eating as much protein and vegetables as possible. I would limit my carbs to a Sunday treat and not worry about the type of carbs. Get all the bread and pasta you like on sunday but try not to eat it during the week. I like to say if it had eyes, eat it! If you eat healthy fats, protein, and vegetables six days a week you can eat as much as you'd like and keep,things simple. Counting calories every day for the rest of your life will never work.

Here's a crazy example, I now weigh 155 and I'm at @7-8% body fat. I eat non-stop! My breakfast routine is five scrambled farm fresh eggs and 6 ounces of bacon. I have a mid-morning snack of fruit and or almonds, a protein shake. For lunch I generally eat a pound of meat or fish, sometimes an entire rotisserie chicken. Mid afternoon salad, fruit and protein shake. Dinner I eat another pound of meat or fish plus half a plate of vegetables and or sweet potatoes. Then at night I snack on almonds or fruit, natural apple sauce. Water with envy meal. People are shocked when they see how much/often I eat but the key is I eat healthy and I exercise 5-6 days a week at Crossfit.

As you can see, I've really drank the Koolaid but I've never been healthier or felt better so the hard work is worth it. Most importantly I want to be around with my children and grand children's long as humanly possible. THAT'S why you sacrifice diet and exercise.

22. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    White bread

23. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    BTW, I did Scarsdale for 14 days and lost 15#. Now I'm being careful with my diet and have worked my way back up to a swimming 4 miles/week. I'm not losing as much weight now but I am noticing it more in my clothing.

24. VTChris

VTChris F1 World Champ

Aug 21, 2005
    Very interesting