Help Me Pick a Track Car | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Help Me Pick a Track Car

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Scotty, Sep 16, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Spare (Human) body parts are Very expensive & low quality, Better to keep your OEM body parts

2. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    "Personally, I would look at Spec Miata based on cost and availability of cars"

Good advice, try www.specmiata.com - great bang for the buck racing, very competitive fields.

3. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Any 944 for under 2k is not worth buying. The mechanical has to be in top notch quality to start with {as much as an older car can be}. If the motor/ tranny/ suspension/ etc... is taken care of {which is what you're looking for}, chances are the body/ interior is in good shape too. If you buy the cheapest car possible and track it, you will have to replace everything from the engine to the smallest hose. You just can't rag the cock of a car that hasn't been maintained. Spend the extra few k and get a great car that just needs tweaking. This doesn't just go for the Porsches. Any old car will kick and complain if you beat it up after a quiet life.

4. iceburns288

iceburns288 Formula 3

Jun 19, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles M.
    Thanks for the input, I just cancelled my cold air intestine order... :D

EDIT

And sorry, I don't know too much about 944 (so especially retail) but maybe you could find one that has been rear ended, with no damage to engine and whatnot... because for a track car you are likely to strip the interior anyways, and usually add a roll cage.

5. Maseroche

Maseroche Karting

Aug 10, 2004
    Bahrain
    Full Name:
    Khalid
    How about the Mini Cooper S. This thing is a hoot to drive and it actually makes for a great track car with some slight mods.

6. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
  7. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

Scott, a spec-class and modest power of a Spec Miata is going to teach you to be a better driver. Isn't that what we all want anyway?

8. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    Thanks for all the info. Me thinks that, from a cost standpoint, a spec Miata is hard as heck to beat. There are really only two issues:

1) I won't be driving a mid-engine car, so I assume that there will be somewhat less crossover to my 360, and

2) A smaller number of events may be open to me (given that the PCA, BMW ACA and BMW CCA, and the Alfa club could, and in the case of the CCA do, give registration preference at track days to the marque they represent).

I'm still checking out a 93-95 Turbo MR2. Mid engine, not so heavy, tons of mods available, but likely much pricier than the Miata. Plus, turbos and a racetrack and my (lack of) skill could equal BOOM.

9. Lawr

Lawr Rookie

Mar 10, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Lawrence
  10. L8Braker

L8Braker Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Asheville NC
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Stafford
    Personally I'd buy a bmw 325/328 for 7500, put suspension/brakes/roll cage/tires and for about 12,500 you'd have a really serious track machine. I've owned 2 e36 m3's and you can make a 325/328 into a really sweet ride. Check out turnermotorsports.com

If you have a BMW you'd be open to all PCA event's as well.

check out this 93 bmw 325is for $6000 with 2 sets of wheels!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6007&item=2490026583&rd=1

11. Lawr

Lawr Rookie

Mar 10, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Lawrence
    Forgot to mention, here's a pretty good website that has mostly MR2's listed for sale.

http://www.xcars.com/

12. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    E30 M3's
    Porsche 944 Turbos
    Porsche 911 3.2
    Miatas plus loads of mods :)

13. FLATOUTRACING

FLATOUTRACING F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2001
    East Coast
    Full Name:
    Jon K.
    #38 FLATOUTRACING, Sep 20, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Scotty,

Go to some of the used race car forums. I know you don't want to tow but a used SUV (if you don't already have one) and an open trailer are cheap.

I bought this former Championship winning Grand Am Cup Integra for 10K with a ton of spares. I put another 5-7K into it and race it in NASA and SCCA.

It's low maintenance and as reliable as a Honda (well it is Honda powered).

It makes only 130 to 140 at the wheels but driven properly it faster than most things pre-355 at FCA events.

It's not fast in a straight line (130 tops) but it's only 3 mph slower than my 355 C exiting Summit Point's infamous turn 3.

Regards,

Jon P. Kofod (who traded a Ferrari for a Honda !)
    www.flatoutracing.net
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

#39 maranelloman, Sep 20, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017