HELP me identify this Dino wheel | FerrariChat

HELP me identify this Dino wheel

Discussion in '206/246' started by built2grind, May 7, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. built2grind

built2grind Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2016
    The Peninsula
    Full Name:
    ANDREW
    Sorry for the duplicate pics, I have NO IDEA why they uploaded twice. Any help identifying would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    From what I can see the wheel is a 1972 and would be one of the eariler ones that started using the Dino script on them. The wheels Ferrari used were the same as the ones FIAT used and this wheel would be correct for a later 246 (E-Series car). Probably worth about $500 as it sits.

3. built2grind

built2grind Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2016
    The Peninsula
    Full Name:
    ANDREW
    Thanks Rob! So you're saying this is an early 1972 246 Dino E-Series wheel? Just trying to get as much clarification / information as I had no idea which model/year/series car this from. If anyone has anything else to ad, please let me know as I am open to all information you want to give.

4. Jon Hansen

Jon Hansen Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 6, 2007
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Full Name:
    Jon Hansen
    I think this wheel is probably dated the 4th month of 1972. It has 4 out of the 12 boxes checked, so definitely manufactured in April or 72, or possibly 73.
    Thats too early for 208 or 308 GT4, so that would mean its for a E series 246.
    I bought an identical one recently for $325. It had some tire machine scuffs on the back side, but looked OK from the front.
    It needed paint.

built2grind likes this.
  5. NoGoSlow

NoGoSlow Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2014
    Republic of Texas
    Full Name:
    Mark Jacks
    Although it seems too early for the GT4, that wheel looks like it goes with the dog-dish hubcap over the wheel bolts. I only recall 246 Dinos with exposed bolts, though. Am I misremembering? :)

built2grind likes this.
  6. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Correct it does look like a E series Dino wheel.

Dino 246's used a hub cap that had holes that allowed the wheel bolts to pass through so you could see their heads. The cap would attach to the same raised ears that the flat GT4 cap would attach to. Although the manufacture date is before GT4 production I believe that the wheels looked the same into the GT4 allowing this wheel to be used on a GT4.

built2grind and NoGoSlow like this.