Help me choose my 'fun car' | FerrariChat

Help me choose my 'fun car'

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by digitaladam, Jun 28, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. digitaladam

digitaladam Rookie

May 27, 2021
    Oakville, ON, Canada
    Full Name:
    Adam S
    #1 digitaladam, Jun 28, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2021
    Hi everyone, have been reading here for a while and would love to get your collective advice.

I've been in family building mode for the last few years. Now have two young daughters, moved from a condo to house, and have an XC90 as the family vehicle.

Next up - I get to choose my next fun car. I'd love your suggestions.

My criteria:
    • V8 or larger
    • Manual transmission
    • Convertible (I think... assume my daughters would enjoy it as they get older)
    • 4 seats (want the whole family to fit)
    • Mostly self maintainable (I'm pretty handy and like to tinker)
    • Anywhere between $10k-$80k USD, era 1995+
    • Somewhat unique (a late model Mustang doesn't get me excited)
    • Mostly for road enjoyment, undecided if I want to do lapping/track days. Does not need to be super fast but want it to feel fun.

Cars I like:
    • If a 360 Spyder had 4 seats, that would be it
    • Or if a Maserati GranTurismo came with a manual
    • A 60s Mustang is a possibility
    • I even saw a TVR Chimera on auction recently and liked its uniqueness. Would have considered that with 4 seats

What else should I consider? Any recommendations?
    Or if there are similar threads (I didn't find any) please let me know. For context, I'm near Toronto Canada.

Thanks so much!

Adam

rampante550 likes this.
  2. rampante550

rampante550 Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2010
    NC
    Full Name:
    D Day
    This is a hard one - trying to think of something with a big enough back seat to meaningfully seat people and has a manual. Will have to give it some thought. If you were to compromise on any of these requirements, which would it be? The convertible one?

3. rampante550

Jul 20, 2010
    NC
    Full Name:
    D Day
    Ok, poked around to jog memory and I'm coming up short. Not sure if you're gonna get the manual convertible to comfortably seat 4 (unless the kids can fit in the back of a 911 or DB9). If so, I'd go DB9 manual, they still pop up from time to time in the 60s or so.

If you have to make a couple compromises, I think you'll still really enjoy either an E39 M5 (manual) or 2010-2012 Quattroporte Sport GTS.

That M5 is arguably the best made (imho), ages well, and is increasingly rare. I think you could work on that and if I recall, it has some crossover with the Z8.

That QP GTS is Maserati perfection in my mind. Great sound, fairly well sorted out before Maserati went into another direction, and is aging well as well. I've driven a ton of miles in Maseratis, but I still get goosebumps when I hear a QP GTS downshift.. Check out the Top Gear where they compare it with the Rapide and Panemera

4. digitaladam

digitaladam Rookie

May 27, 2021
    Oakville, ON, Canada
    Full Name:
    Adam S
    Thanks WD for the suggestions. Yes a compromise would be on the convertible criteria.

Will take a look into these in some more detail and would love to hear any others. Thanks!

rampante550 likes this.
  5. JJ

JJ F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 6, 2010
    PA
    Full Name:
    Sounds like you and your family might enjoy an older Jeep Wrangler in addition to whatever you come up with here. For <$10k you can get a pretty damned nice example 1995+, the roof and doors come off and stay off all summer, 4 seats, manual, pretty much 100% self-maintainable, massive aftermarket support, great community, and a ton of fun for just tooling around. Solves your convertible compromise, if you need to make one.

rampante550 likes this.
  6. digitaladam

digitaladam Rookie

May 27, 2021
    Oakville, ON, Canada
    Full Name:
    Adam S
    Thanks JJ, I had a Wrangler (03) for several years in my 20s and loved it.
    Since our main family vehicle is an SUV, I'm interested in a coupe/vert for some contrast (and V8 rumble). Certainly could see getting into a Wrangler again at some point.

Thinking on this some more, a Maserati GranSport could be in the running.
    I really love the GranTurismo style (exterior, at least), and wish they came manual. A manual swap sounds like more trouble/$$ than it's worth.

Keep them coming... anything obscure as well like the TVR would be great to hear about :)

Thanks!

JJ and rampante550 like this.
  7. rampante550

Jul 20, 2010
    NC
    Full Name:
    D Day
    Maserati Gransport is a great consideration. I helped a friend search and buy one last year - ended up finding a nice LE and he loves it. You'll only have the backseats as an option for the coupe, as the convertible is a little shorter.

Not sure if you can get more car for the money, just take a little time to find a nice one. I'm planning to get one myself once some things settle down. I worked at a couple dealers and the techs really liked these cars, and on one of my visits to the Ferrari factory we asked a couple engineers what they thought about Maserati always claiming Ferrari engine, etc. and got the expected response - except when we asked "GranSport too?" And they said "no, we actually cared about that one . . ."

Attached Files:

digitaladam likes this.
  8. digitaladam

digitaladam Rookie

May 27, 2021
    Oakville, ON, Canada
    Full Name:
    Adam S
    Thanks for the insight WD, beautiful color. I'll keep an eye out for those (currently only one manual for sale in my area).

rampante550 likes this.
  9. sca037

sca037 Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2009
    Northville, MI
    Full Name:
    Brian
    #9 sca037, Jun 28, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2021
    A Lotus Evora 400 might do the trick.

Not a V8, but a supercharged V6 available with a manual gearbox.....and a back seat, for small people at least!

Oh, and I'm not sure the Roadster version ever made it out of the concept phase, and I've sure never seen one.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

plastique999 and digitaladam like this.
  10. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Funnest and easiest would be an original Mustang.

You can order any part new out of a catalog.

You can also use any powertrain you like. With a 9” Ford rear end.

Matt

digitaladam likes this.
  11. digitaladam

digitaladam Rookie

May 27, 2021
    Oakville, ON, Canada
    Full Name:
    Adam S
    Thanks Matt. Definitely a different feel than a later model anything but could be a fun option. I like the idea of something simplified and primitive.

12. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Various Audis could work.

digitaladam likes this.
  13. blkfxstc

blkfxstc Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2016
    TX
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Final generation Firebird WS6 convertible?

digitaladam likes this.
  14. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    M3 convertible.

gt1995, anunakki and digitaladam like this.
  15. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Not only is it simple and primitive, but you’ll make friends everywhere you go.

That happens in my ‘61 Corvette, which I would highly recommend if you didn’t have a 4-seat requirement.

Matt

Image Unavailable, Please Login

digitaladam likes this.
  16. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    NYC Fred and digitaladam like this.
  17. digitaladam

digitaladam Rookie

May 27, 2021
    Oakville, ON, Canada
    Full Name:
    Adam S
    Thank you all for the suggestions!

Have driven the M3/M5 and they could be fun options.
    Matt, beautiful Corvette!
    Will spend some time looking at Lotus/Audi/Firebird as well.

Frontrunners right now are Maserati 4200 Coupe (I learned the GranSport didn't come in manual), or original Mustang.
    David, I'll look into the Ferrari 400/412 more as well - looks beautiful and prices seem in line. Thanks for sharing!

18. digitaladam

digitaladam Rookie

May 27, 2021
    Oakville, ON, Canada
    Full Name:
    Adam S
    Will spend some time looking into Mondials, too! Didn't realize they're 4 seaters, look beautiful.

19. yoda

yoda F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2004
    UT
    digitaladam and David_S like this.
  20. digitaladam

digitaladam Rookie

May 27, 2021
    Oakville, ON, Canada
    Full Name:
    Adam S
    Nice option on the DB9 thank you!

21. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    To me this is an easy choice. Go drive a BMW E46 M3 with a 3 pedal. Once you do I bet you buy it.

22. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
  23. digitaladam

digitaladam Rookie

May 27, 2021
    Oakville, ON, Canada
    Full Name:
    Adam S
    Thanks Jerry. I've spent a couple days in an M3 and a Z3 (both manual). Not quite sure why, but don't think I'm a BMW guy.

Mondial T looks like a lot of character, and I'll look into what I can expect for maintenance.

4200 Coupe is the frontrunner right now, thank you all for sharing!!

anunakki likes this.
  24. tantumaude

tantumaude Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2016
    Burlington, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mat
    Definitely a DB9 Volante. There is one for sale near London for 80k CAD I think.
    Or, how about a 456 :)

digitaladam likes this.
  25. digitaladam

digitaladam Rookie

May 27, 2021
    Oakville, ON, Canada
    Full Name:
    Adam S
    There are more 4 seat Ferraris than I thought! Nice to meet you Mat I'm nearby in Oakville. Will reach out once I get something fun :)

tantumaude likes this.