Help me choose a beginer bike please | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Help me choose a beginer bike please

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by 96impalaSS, Apr 15, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Uberpower

Uberpower Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 6, 2004
    Are you buying new? If so, you must REALLY like rolling your Impala- because dumb moves like buying a new bike to ride around on for six months is less than intelligent and will far delay your ability to buy an F-car.

Good that you want a Suzi. You just picked the wrong models! I guess it's "cool" to ride what everyone else does. sheesh.

Go TLS. Thank me later.

Nick

2. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I was going to buy new for the warranty. I dont have the SS anymore I drive a C5 and I am going to give it to my stepdad (original owner) in exchange for enough to get a decent car and one of these bikes. I love driving so much and the closer I can get to actually controlling every aspect of the drive makes it more fun for me.
    When I'm driving it's the only time I dont have to think about anything else. All I have to think about is the next turn and the cars around me. Just the road and myself. It's 1000 times better than any therapy anyone could ever buy. God I love driving. If I died in a accident (god forbid) everyone that knows me would know I died doing something I love.

3. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Nicholas...don't diss on the gixxers like that man! I have two 750s and had a tiller, they are all good bikes. :)

IMPALASS--do not take this the wrong way. I have given you advice and have been very nice to you on the board. There have been mean people here (for your own good), but I try to be nice when I give advice. I know you drive american cars, so maybe warranty is important because american cars can break. Japanese cars/bikes don't break, thus buying them for warranty reason is not a good one. My 98 bike that I bought used has 25K miles, all it needs is new chain/pads/oil changes.

However if you want to buy new, go ahead. At the end of the day its your money. You have asked us for advice, we have given it, and you are free to make your decision. I see no harm in that. :)

As far as 750s running away from 600s at lights, that is BS. If your friends are feeding you that, they don't know how to ride. (I don't know your friend but hear me out). I rode my friends gixxer 600 at Lake Berryessa about 4 weeks ago. I was keeping up and passing some 750s and a R1 most of the day. I am not the best or even a great rider. I am ok, there are MUCH better riders than me on this board alone. However bikes are not drag machines. These bikes are SO equal, a beginner like you won't even know the difference. Most of these bikes are all about riders. I can be on a gixxer 1000 and ryan (sherpa23) can be on a gixx 600 and he can smoke me, because he is that much of a better rider.

All that said, if you are buying a bike because you want to keep up with your friends, you are buying it for the wrong reason. Japanese bike warranties are also worthless. Take it from a gixxer owner. I have never seen the dealer on my 02 gixxer except when he took my cash.

SInce you will sell your bike in 6 months, you will take a severe depreciation hit. I just bought a italian bike today. It is 4 years old. I am happy with my purchase, but I bought it for reasons different than you. I could have bought a busa but didn't. Maturity comes into play.

All said and done, I wish you luck, and have fun. Get insurance like someone said, full coverage. Also get leathers.

Have fun, and welcome to the world of two wheels. :) :) Post pics when you get it. Remember the yellow gixxers are faster. ;)

4. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    100% right on. These things don't break, and the 600 would keep up, thats not an issue.

5. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

Micheal stop spreading the nonsense. 600s are slow, what he needs is a turbo busa!

Say it with me now boys,

BUSA BUSA BUSA BUSA BUSA BUSA BUSA :D

6. Uberpower

Uberpower Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 6, 2004

Hey Congrats! What did you get?

PS- Not hatin' on GIXXERS, it's just that people buy them because other people say they are good. They are a nice bike, buy c'mon! It's like when everyone orders Bud Light because it's easy to remember.

PPS- I now have the top post in each of the Off Topic zones! Watch out Carbon, here I come. ;)

7. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

Got a Yellow Ducati. :) I agree gixxers are not end all and be all, but posers like me like them :D

LMAO

8. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    Ducati ey? First class dude!, i was looking for a yellow 996 my self, but was waiting to long for one to come up so i made do with a red one, dont like waiting ya see. Enjoy it mate there a great bike, and look out for the tosers who are after you on the road, usualy the BM drivers.LOL!

9. sjb509

sjb509 Guest

Congrats Ryan on your new duck. If it doesn't have an exhaust system, you need to get one from FBF or V&H. Stock they're too quiet, with pipes they'll set off car alarms. The low frequency sound will also carry for literally miles. One quiet evening I let a friend ride mine, I could hear him over 3 miles away.

Back to the beginner bike thing. If you've never ridden a bike before, a GSXR would probably be a poor choice. Fast bikes can bite you harder and faster than a fast car, IMO. My first streetbike was an 1100cc Suzuki, but I had ridden dirt bikes for many years prior, so the basics of clutch, brake, & shift were second nature to me. Trying to learn these things and dealing with traffic could be too much on one of these bikes. People assume they are toys, they absolutely are not.

Although obvious, drinking and riding are also a good way to end up in the morgue. I did it only one time (unintentionally), the morning after my 21st birthday. I was still a little buzzed from hours before. You wouldn't believe how a little alchohol could slow your reaction time down. I work with some idiots that go to Sturgis with their Harleys and ride drunk basically for a week. I'm amazed at least one of them aren't in the ground yet. Driving a car and riding a bike are not even comparable in that condition.

10. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Thank you all for so much information. the Gixxer 600 is what it will be. New or Used hasnt been decided yet as I cant find a used one around here and 8000 isnt that much money really. But you guys say they dont break down really and I know I can trust you guys so If I CAN find used then I will buy used. I went down the BMV today and got the Motorcycle Operators Manual today to get ready for my test. I cant wait, I feel like a kid tying to go to sleep on Christmas eve. It's all I even dream about anymore.

The thing about the 2004 is though is it's got the titanium valves, and the redisgned cylinder head to name a few changes.

Pnce again thank you all. :D

P.S. From what you guys tell me I wont be tired of the 600 in 6 months so Ill keep it till I think Im ready for something bigger. Good god I cant wait!!!

11. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Used is good, just size up the owner, some gixxers have been wailed on. I would not buy one that has been wired for the track (wire on radiator plug, oil plug etc), as track bikes lead a hard life. Good luck.

12. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Thanks for the advice.

13. sjb509

sjb509 Guest

If your serious about a 600, a former neighbor of mine recently won a 2003 CBR600RR, yellow, from a local radio station contest. Brand new bike. The only problem is that he is blind, and will obviously never ride it himself. He's looking to sell, and I talked with his family Friday because they know I have motorcycles and thought I might know someone who wanted it.

Price for this new bike would be low $6k range (thought about buying myself, but I'm holding out for a 996 or MV).

For a picture, go to www.kclq.com. PM me and I will give you details how to get in touch with them.

Steve

14. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

I waited 5 years for the right one, so you could say I have patience :) Of course my Duc can't hold a candle to your collection, but hey a man has got to start somewhere right? :D

REd is great, but I hear yellow is the faster color ;)

15. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I tried PMing you but I think you may have it off. That sounds good. I really want the gixxer but for that price a honda sounds pretty good.

16. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

Thanks man! I will make a thread with pictures once I get up on the saddle. I have a plane ticket to go home on May 14. (Duc is being delivered there). I will post pics :) It does have an exhaust system already. It has the FBF Forza on it :D I can't wait to hear the noise of it and finally join the Italian riders :D

17. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    IMPALASS

If you don't mind buying used I have two gixxers and you can take your pick. One is blue/white with high miles, I am second owner all maintenance. Other is a 2002 yellow/black 4400 miles, I am original owner, immac condition.

Both bikes have never been dropped, and no scratches on them. :)

18. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Ahem.... IMPALASS, remember what I said about Gixxers being wailed on!?!

LAfun2, I'm kidding! I'm kidding!...I keeed. I keeed. I keeed with you!! (in Triumph the Insult Dog voice) :) :)

19. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Cali is very far from Indiana. I always make it a rule to touch before I buy. If I were closer though Id go for it. :)

20. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

Lol no problem man!! You made me laugh out loud. :) My bikes are not for sale actually, but was willing to help a fellow F chatter out, since I don't need 3 bikes. :)

As far as gixxers being wailed on, you can look at from many sides. Many people don't buy Used M3s or Ferraris from younger kids. They like to buy from 40-55 year olds thinking they wailed on it less. However I have found out, age is not anything, and models aren't anything either.

I look at it, if a bike has been ridden hard, and maintained well, its a great bike. Remeber all these crotch rockets are race bikes, so they are supposed to be wailed on, however there is a difference on wailing on them and abusing them.

Gixxer power baby, :D

21. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

Point taken. Good luck on your search. :)

22. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    The chances of dying on one of those things is relatively high; if you're gonna get one, might as well get the best one... :)

Damn, i miss my bike...

23. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

First of all "best" is a relative term, and man that comment is just...um lacking any intelligent thought. No offense (you know I love ya Carbon), but according to your logic, 16 year olds who "want to get one" should go get a 220mph Turbo Busa, and kill themselves that day, instead of 5 years down the line?

If that is the case, why even buy bikes, we should shoot ourselves then go straight to the cemetary, at the thought of buying a bike, to save everyone the hassle!

24. sjb509

sjb509 Guest

Try it now.

25. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    still negative.