Help me choose a beginer bike please | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Help me choose a beginer bike please

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by 96impalaSS, Apr 15, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
  2. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

I am not old enough to remember that, so my apology. :)

3. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat

Grampus here says its OK sonny.:)

4. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

Lol thank you. Again apologize for my ignorance. I think when my generation thinks of the undertail exhaust and the single swingarm we automatically think Ducati. However the R1 and the RR has that kind of exhuast now.

Oh well IMO ducati's still look better :D

5. sjb509

sjb509 Guest

The NR750?
    Now that would make a good beginner bike.

6. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat

Yeah, we are suffering a little topic drift here aren't we? :) :)

7. SkizoACE

SkizoACE Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2004
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Im thinking about getting a Gixxer 750. Maybe you should too.

8. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    After all is said and done I say SV650 or Monster. Then again it seems like the horse has been beat to death.

9. ART360

ART360 Guest

Get the slowest bike you're comfortable with. These are so fast, that when you first start riding them, you don't believe the speedometer. 50% of all motorcycle accidents occur within the first 90 days of ownership (1st bike). To buy a sportbike 600, that runs the quarter in under 11 seconds is a sure prescription for an extended stay in the hospital.

Just remember that the ****ty Suzuki 500 is faster in the quarter than my 355. I'd start with something slow, used, not good looking, get some experience, then get what you want. An example of the types of things that you learn through experience is noticing that the lady pulling out from her driveway has already turned her wheels, isn't looking at you. That means that she's going to pull out in front of you. You learn those sorts of things by getting the crap scared out of you, and you'll learn that despite the speed of the bike, the laws of physics do prevail, and if you're grossly over the speed limit, you won't be able to stop in time.

After you've got a few thousand miles under your belt, then get what you want.

Art

10. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    I just bought a '99 Yamaha YZF R6 at the beginning of last summer, and it is my very first bike. Some have said that I am crazy to start off with a bike like that, and I can certainly respect that. It all comes down to your right wrist. These 600cc bikes nowadays are ridiculously fast, and therefore command the utmost in respect.

I took the safety course, which helped, but the best recommendation I can make is to get out there and ride as much as possible, just get experienced. Also, never try to keep up with a more experienced rider, go at your own pace. This last point led me to taking a tumble, something I would not wish on anyone.

I would recommend a '99 R6. I wouldn't buy new as a first bike simply because if you make a mistake, it is much easier to accept damage on a used bike versus a new one.

Happy riding!

11. Clax

Clax Formula 3

Oct 3, 2002
    Bah. Go big. Hyabusa or MV Agusta F4 Mille. Jump on, crack the throttle, hold on.

12. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

I am with clax. Get a turbo busa :D

13. EspritSE

EspritSE Formula Junior

Dec 1, 2003
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Craig
  14. Dale

Dale F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2003
    uk
    Full Name:
    Dale Juan
    Cut your teeth on a CBR 600,theres nothing wrong with a gixer 600,but the cbr chassis will fogive a biginner,go and find a dealer and test ride them both,
    see what you think,then if you want move up,but theres just more power thats it,in the bends where it matters the 600's are just as good if not better,
    i had an R1 when they first came to the uk kept it 6 month's dont get me wrong they go ok but went back to a cbr 600 and loved it so much more,

cheers
    Dale.

15. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Impala.

The question you have to ask your self is how much money do you have. Then do a little math and chunk off a little of that (20%) for crash repairs. If you're getting a full fairing bike take off (40%). Then that's your budget.

The second thing you have to ask yourself is how scared are you. If the answer is "somewhat scared but I'm sure I'll get the hang of it," then don't get a bike. You'll crash in 2 months. You need to have an overly healthy dose of self preservation in order to ride a motorcycle, imo.

Buy something used. Don't buy a new bike. You'll have a few incidences. It's inevitable. You'll be glad you bought a used bike.

If it were me, I would get something that you could learn to work on. I started with a Ducati 748s and learned to disassemble most of it and put it back together. That was priceless.

IF you want something italian, pm me.

16. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    i started with a old ninja ex500, then got a newer ex500r , then went to ninja 600r. had that for about a year and it kept breaking down on me. ended up with 2 gsxr750's. then got out of bikes after i had laser surgery, since it was unwise to ride anytime in the first 6 months or so. would love a ducati..... anybody want a nice C4 vette???? hee hee! i vote for a cheap used under 600 cc bike, naked ones or be a man and take off the fairings for a few months and ride it. whatever you do, be careful, this is no Impala that you can flip at 100mph and live through. i know someone who went off road at 35mph and hit a pole and is about as useful as a piece of furniture. his parents have the burden of taking care of him for life. i would rather be dead than live that way and i have a " do not resusitate " order with my family. bad subject you say????? go to the local ER and talk to some of the folks that work the weekend shift about motorcycle accidents. get thier views.
    i am sure your girlfriend and the rest of us would like to see you around for a long time so be careful dammit!!!!!! michael

17. Uberpower

Uberpower Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 6, 2004
    Okay, here we go.

1. Don't buy a "beginner bike". You will "learn" quickly enough on any bike *(as long as you RESPECT it and your life!), and if you end up buying a 600 or something of that nature, you will be bored in a few months.

2. As Sherpa23 said, don't buy a new bike. Depreciation will kick your butt on a motorcycle, the only bikes that stand up to it are Ducs and Aprillas.

3. My first bike (and my second- long story) were both Suzuki TL1000s' awesome bike, Ducati 998 looks and close performance for about $5K used with less than 10K miles. You can likely find one that has race pipes, headers, steering stabilizer and upgraded ECU/airfilter for around $6K in excellent condition.

You will not be bored with this bike. It has a TON of eyeball, everyone thinks it's a $15K+ bike. A TON of lowend grunt, it's a hooligan bike and you'll love it. After you've had it for a year, sell it for what you paid for it and get into a Duc. Plus there is a TL1000 message board!

Good luck and wear a GOSHDAMN helmet/leathers! No points for the right answer there if/when you lay the bike down.

Nick

Nick

18. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Nicholas,

I have owned a tiller for about 9 months. It is a wheelie bike, and I would not recommend it to someone starting out regardless of how mature they were. Just my opinion. Getting a tiller for your first is some balls.

I stick to my earlier idea, get a turbo busa.

19. Prugna 328

Prugna 328 Formula 3

Sep 10, 2003
    L.I.N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Gregory
    Any GSXR is prob. to much for a novice. All of the "sport" 600s from Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki, and Yamaha are very close too if not 10 sec rides. I started on a Kawasaki GPZ 550. It was no way no how as fast as these new 600s but it kept me happy. (for a while:) anyway)

20. Uberpower

Uberpower Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 6, 2004

Yeah! Tillers are pretty rare! Do you have the 'S' or the 'R'? I LOVED the 'S' because of the half-faring mean bad-azz look to it. As far as getting one for my first bike, it was the only bike I'd ever ridden... so I wasn't aware of the power difference.

But you can be DARN sure I respected the bike. (Maybe I am just a sissy, only do wheelies by accident!) ;)

21. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #46 96impalaSS, Apr 18, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Allright boys here what Im thinking as of now after reading this and talking to many people since friday that ride.
    I will not want my beginer bike after 6 months or less.

So after endless discussion it has now come down to these 2.

GSX-R600 or GSX-R750.

If you know me you know I work my way into things and will learn the bike before I take off at full throttle and flip it.

I heard from alot of people if I get the 600 a few months down the road after I get it I will be the guy behind my friends when they all take off from a light when riding together. So I'm kinda leaning towards the 750.

I was shocked at how many people told me not to worry about getting the bigger bike and just learning with it.

And plus I think Miai's thong hanging out for all to see on the back of this would be hot as hell! :D
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. Paul Vincent

Paul Vincent Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2004
    I didn't read through all the previous replies, so if someone already has told you this, I'm sorry. First, do this; invest in the proper riding gear (leathers, helmet, boots, gloves, ear plugs & and also check out the cost of full insurance, and maybe even professional riding instructions). If you aren't willing to cough up what will likely be a minimum $2,000-$3,000 up front investment for proper riding gear and insurance, then just forget about having a bike. And do consider getting a used bike, as you could save big money and still have quite a bike.

23. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Fine choice. Just remember the Gixxer750 has more horsepower than the AMA factory superbikes from 10 years ago. Get her full protection also, skin grafts are not pretty.

24. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Ill get leathers and all for both of us.

25. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    good boy.