HELP!!!!! Ducati ST3 vs. ST4????? | FerrariChat

HELP!!!!! Ducati ST3 vs. ST4?????

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by BigTex, May 24, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Hey gang, answer this for me......

I was shopping for his/her bikes and the dealer has an unsold ST3 from a few years ago as well as a nice 650 Monster for Lady Valeria to chase me....LOL!

I thought the ST3 was a previous model to the ST4 but a review of the data shows its a smaller engine...

Now I'll never fit on a 999R at 6' 3" so I was liking the riding position on the ST4. I am only 165# and was wondering is the ST3 'big enough" ( the whole concept is actually fuel economy after all) or will I forever wish I had gotten the more powerful (and I'm assuming more expensive) ST4??????

Thoughts appreciated........
    BigTex

2. jmuriz

jmuriz Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    As far as I know they are the exact same chassis, just the ST3 has a 3-valve engine and the ST4 has a 4-valve head. I think the magazines liked the ST3 better, as it had more low-midrange power (more useable power) than the ST4.

For the while 'big enough' thing, really any 600cc+ bike it plenty big enough for anyone...if you mean for legroom etc, the ST3/4 will be plenty big for you. If this is your first bike however it is WAY to much motor, but that's just my opinion.

3. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    ST3 would be a better real world bike, IMHO, with more USEABLE torque at the expense of less HP at peak.

I'd bet the engine will be less prone to problems as well. In a touring bike like that the simpler the better, IMO.

4. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Thanks very much for the info, I just noticed the different horsepower specification, didn't realize some of other specs were the same....

I've had other bikes before, two of the 750cc Honda 4 cylinders, so I'll refresh with a rider safety course for both of us...

I fit well onto the ST3 chassis for sure..

Lady Valeria advises the last time she tried to pilot a cycle she ran into a fence or something......driver training course for her FOR SURE! LOL!

Or maybe just some nice leathers, and she'll ride with me.....;)

They sold me a cool Yearbook, maybe 1999 (?) it was a black and white Owner Photo collection, had some hot Japanese babes on 996's ....wowza!
    And an old Italian guy made a sidecar for his wife from a beer keg.....

5. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Thanks Dr. Clifford, hope your life has calmed down...tubing looks good for New Bransfels this year..

Valeria leaves with her Mom to go up June 2 for a week.....

PARTY AT BIGTEX's HOUSE!!!!!!

6. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    The ST3 is actually newer than the ST4 (the numbers are a bit confusing).

There is lots of good ST info here:

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=40

I've been wanting an ST myself, for a while. I have a good friend with an ST4, and every time I see it I think more and more about it. But I'd have to find the time to use it! My Monster works too well for the around town stuff, and I don't know where I'd find the time to actually go touring. But it sure sounds fun!

7. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Thanks for the info and link!

I'd agree the Monster would be more than enough in town, in fact Valeria insists a vintage Vespa would be enough, and would allow her short commute wearing a skirt!

8. jmuriz

jmuriz Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    I agree with that one, I'd love to get a vintage Vespa with a 150 or larger motor, I could ride my old Duc 80 and the wife ride the Vespa, now that'd be fun for short trips into town.

9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I've never ridden a motorcycle before, but still want one. It is WAY down the priority list, but I still want one to drive around the neighborhood, nothing too serious. Maybe use for 5 mile clear highway commute to work. So I'm not going for the pure sport bikes. Would a ST3 be OK as first bike for "neighborhood" type usage? I really want it to be a Ducati, I don't pose for anything else in my life, so let me at least be a poser with motorcycles. :D

10. RussianM3_dude

RussianM3_dude F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 15, 2004
    Switzerland/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Nikolai Petroff

I had a similiar dilemma. If you are going to take the risk of riding a motorcycle... Might as well get a sports one. Even a regular motorcycle will be faster then 95% of cars out there. Might as well go the whole hog and get a 1098 or an MV Agusta. Also if you decide you love riding, but are too concerned about risk, you can simply track the sport bike.

11. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Really, 1098 over a ST3 for a first bike? Mainly just riding around town.

12. jmuriz

jmuriz Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    I'm hoping it was a joke, for a first bike the only Duc I'd suggest would be a Monster 695. Starting on a 1000cc bike is a good way not to make it to your 2nd bike. Take an MSF safety course also, will give you good riding skills and satisfy the road portion of your license test. Starting small and wearing gear is a good way to grow a love for the activity :D

13. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Rob, I've been in a very similar situation. I bought a Monster S2R 800, my first bike (at age 39), last year. It's a great first bike, at least for me-- and I would think for you as well.

Now that I have a little experience, I can see that either an S2R 1000 or a 695 would have been fine as well-- I rarely use all of the power of the 800, but the twins are easy enough to control that a little extra wouldn't have made all that much of a difference.

One thing I love about the Monster is the light weight. I can easily move it around, park it, etc.

The BMW F800s look very nice as well, similar power and nice appearance.

14. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Rob, he IS trying to kill you....LOL!

The ST3 or 4 would be a serious bike......and well over $10K buy in.

The Monsters go from 650cc up past 1100cc with that model range, and they are bringing out some COOL vintage Cafe Racer recreations as well as the Multistrada, which has brute appeal in it's own way..

The whole 999 996 and now the 1098 are for serious experienced sport riders.

Lessee, my last bike ride ended 8-28-82 with a broken jaw, unconsciousness, and over 400 microstitches once they manually probed thru my facial muscles for the broken glass of a GM Suburban windshield.......not bad for someone MEETING an unattentive motorist attempted an illegal u turn on Galveston Island!!!

ThAT date DID have a certain symmetry, for a headstone.....;)
    :D

15. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Thanks, jmuriz..

You'll note I mentioned the Rider Safety Course in my O.P........

And full gear is a given on the street, as well as off road, IMO......

16. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Nikolia,

Texans run 6' 0" up thru 6' 3" or taller........we don't even FIT into a 999 or 1098.........

The riding geometry is all wrong for a taller rider, hence my attraction to an ST3 stripped of the travel bags for in town usage.....

Those race bikes are wonderful machines, the dealer has a 999R in racing livery on the stand..the one with the Italian and American flag tank graphics????

I thinked it's signed by both riders as well........

17. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Although Lyle Lovett rides a 996..............so go figure.....what kind of mods he made, I have no idea.......

18. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Correction:

AND some nice leathers, and she'll ride with me.....;)

Rob - check out info on a 2nd-hand Aprilia - on F-Chat - Choptop has many a post regarding them, and for good reason.

19. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    There ya go! LOL!

20. ronr

ronr Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2002
    DFW, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Fully agree. Have you been checking out his daughter?

:)

21. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Depends what she is wearing. :D;):D

22. RussianM3_dude

RussianM3_dude F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 15, 2004
    Switzerland/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Nikolai Petroff
    Errr, I mean the first bike for when you learn how to ride. Get a beater bike for 1000USD as you will likely drop it a few times in the beginning (during low speed turns in the parking lot.) I learned on a CBR600RR and was lucky not to drop it. After you learn the basics and if you are responsible with the performance, then yes, get the top bike.

23. TX907

TX907 Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2005
    Keller, TX
    Full Name:
    Garrick
    I would suggest a monster or a sport classic for a general play toy. A ST would be better for longer-distance riding. A monster sits up higher and is good for around-town.

24. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    They discontinued the ST3/4 line last year....I had the Dealer do a nationwide search anf found ONE left, in the crate!

They are checking the color (red or yellow) and ABS vs. non ABS....

Anyone have thoughts on the brakes??
    It adds $2K..to the 'ask'........

It looks like "today's the day", if I want one!

25. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I'm thinking the same thing applies, on the ABS question also!