Help buying a car with an NC title out of state | FerrariChat

Help buying a car with an NC title out of state

Discussion in 'North & South Carolina' started by Tim1137, Dec 25, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tim1137

Tim1137 Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2011
    Providence - Boston
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Hey guys, hoping someone can shed some light for me.

I'm planning on purchasing a private sale car that was last titled in North Carolina. The back of the title has a section to be notarized. I will be registering the car in Massachusetts though, where typically no notary is required. Due to some circumstances, it would be almost impossible to reach the seller of the car again and get the title notarized.

Have any North Carolina residents sold private sale cars to people in other states and run into this situation, whether or not the title still needs to be notarized for out of state buyers?

Appreciate the help!

2. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    I would presume it would be up to Massachusetts. If they don't require any notary of the NC title, then I would presume all is well.

So, I would check with your local DMV. Your getting a title from MA - not NC.

3. Splitting Atoms

Splitting Atoms Formula 3

Sep 18, 2011
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Eric
    As southnc stated, it depends on what Massachusetts requires. I live in SC, and although we don't seem to have as many regulations as most states, your paperwork has to be perfect to get a title in SC. It would need it to be notarized and the mileage needs to be documented on the title or an official bill of sale form. You need to check with your DMV.

I wouldn't turn over any money until they get the notary, if you need it. They may have access to a notary that knows the family that will do it for them. Once you hand over the money, the previous owners will probably not put out any effort to help you. That's my experience anyway.

4. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    In my exp, you flat out have to get the notary or NC DMV will not honor any paperwork you send them from anywhere.

Like Eric said, withhold payment till they get it done. Otherwise, you will be out a stack of cash and have a car that is not legally yours.

5. Tim1137

Tim1137 Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2011
    Providence - Boston
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Thanks for the help guys... that's not what I wanted to hear but sometimes the truth hurts...

6. Irishman

Irishman F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2005
    Raleigh
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    This jibes with my experience. The seller has to be present in front of the notary while the seller fills out that part of the NC title.

The buyer does not have to be present with the notary. The buyer can fill out their part of it later. I did bill of sales documents (for buyer and seller) while I was at it.

7. ncjetskier

ncjetskier Formula 3

Jul 7, 2012
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I live in NC, I would get the title notarized or I would not purchase the car.

I understand you live out of state, but the comment about "it would be difficult to get the title notarized after the sale" would make me REALLY uncomfortable. NC DMV is very "by the book" when it comes to title transfer.