Help! Best entry level Ferrari <100k? | FerrariChat

Help! Best entry level Ferrari <100k?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by pollila, Jul 9, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pollila

pollila Rookie

Jan 18, 2006
    Growing up it was the 348 and 355 i lusted after. Now I have some cash I’m afraid to meet my childhood heroes for fear of disappointment. As well as fear of insane maintenance expense.

Whats a good entry level price for one of those and which model year trim? What to look out for? Or is it better to look for a 360?

any advice appreciated thx.

2. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    The best "entry level" Ferrari is a Porsche...

If you haven't even settled on a model yet, you should first understand the "ask" ranges for the various models. I found the Ferrari Market Letter asking price guide as an excellent resource (~$50/6 mo) for eliminating models that were obviously outside my budget. https://www.hagerty.com/ has a great tool on their site to check how prices have changed over time and what you can expect to pay for a car depending on condition. I found these two tools to be very useful.

I wrote up an article on how I decided on a model and what it took to land one in my garage. Might be interesting...

https://www.ferrari360.org/2019/09/my-pursuit-of-ferrari.html

Il Tifoso and paulchua like this.
  3. Zanny1

Zanny1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Sure as heck wouldn't be a 348 for many reasons. They are not that quick and will nickle and dime you to death.
    Can't say about a 355 as I've never owned one. Many think they are the prettiest of the 3 series.
    I currently have a 360 Modena manual shift car and love it. Reliable, thrilling to drive.... it checks all the boxes. Not a big fan of the F1 transmission setup, but you should drive all these models and see which one speaks to you.

EastMemphis and 308 milano like this.
  4. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Depends what you want.

Your question has been asked before, unsurprisingly, and there are a fair few threads in the specific model sections along with buyer guides.

There is a lot of myth around various model maintenance costs so do read the model specific threads in detail. Whilst a belt change on a 348/355 looks expensive compared to say a 360 and hence people say how expensive they are; a 360 will munch suspension components and cost lots; whereas a 348/355 won’t!!! Swings in roundabouts.

As to buying advice
    Www.my348.com
    Www.aldousvoice.com. For 360 by the best respected indie in the UK.

If you haven’t join a F club, attend events, chat to people who actually own the cars. They are all friendly and you might get a drive if you are lucky!

Enjoy your search and the two biggest tips you will get is 1) buy on condition not mileage and 2) get a good ppi before committing.

EastMemphis likes this.
  5. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Wasn't there an identical thread a few months ago - try looking it up

6. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    355 360 or 430

Mmckee and paulchua like this.
  7. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    "Old car" 328
    Modern car ;California
    Best car ; 360 stick.

EnzoItaly likes this.
  8. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I would agree. I think the best value in Used Ferrari's today is the used California market - first gen series are in the 70- 90K range with 25-45K miles... FML is a great place to shop - most of the cars there are from reputable dealers - or long term Ferrari guys.

My personal advice is I would stay away from "Exotic Dealers" that have really too good to be true pricing... they can be auction cars etc.... you want to find a dealer who really sells Ferrari a lot... that know what they are buying. FNA Factory Ferrari Dealers pricing are at a premium - but they also usually have the best cars - and if you can get one with a Ferrari warranty - that is a gold standard. ... then there are the non Ferrari NA dealers - solid guys like Merlin Auto's in Atlanta... and there are others out there too, that move lots of Used Ferrari's.... then there are the ones that have lots of used modified BMW and Merc's around and have the occasional Ferrari ... those are the guys that I'd be very wary of.... Some Porsche / Lambo and Lotus dealers get Ferrari's on trade... so you may find one there as well.

I would look at service documentation - very critical... FNA or local dealer should be able to run the VIN and see what is in the system...

I think 430's are also becoming a good deal too... early cars.

psych0hans likes this.
  9. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

If you like to wrench and have time to do so, the older models are great. Best entry level, low maintenance, modern Ferrari sub $100k you can get is an F430. Plenty of power, and fairly reliable by modern day standards. For some reason it seems that 360 prices have come up to low end F430 prices, to me the F430 is a much better deal.

10. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Best first Ferrari should be the one you fell in love with first that you can afford to purchase and maintain. What started your Ferrari dream? Do you fit in it and have you driven one yet? Do you like how it drives and sounds? Does the car fit your climate - like for air conditioning...? Or is that not needed? Older ferraris can be terrible in that department.

Fill out your profile and add your location. I’d try to meet up with some owners in your area. Don’t just pick a model and buy it unseen with fully experiencing it.

I love the Lamborghini countach... I don’t fit in it. Would have been a disaster if I had just bought one because of the reputation or my great memories and photos.

You really shouldn’t buy a different model you are less excited about because it costs 1000 per year vs 2000 per year on maint.

But if you like all Ferraris fairly equally and want dependability with lowest maint costs, that is likely to be the Cali or F430. You still need a maint fund for the ‘just in case’ issues that “will” come up.

But if you are up for the love affair, buy a 348 or F355 with some miles to keep your buy-in a bit lower, and continue to sort it to perfect spec. You’ll use up the balance of your 100k to do that. Then expect 2k per year to operate. Enjoy the perfect love affair... like many of us.

Robb

Regular Guy 01, Mmckee and paulchua like this.
  11. pollila

pollila Rookie

Jan 18, 2006
    All great advice, much appreciated. I have driven a 430 a couple times and loved it, I think that may be the way to go for me, if I can find a good one at 100k. The California just doesn’t do it for me, looks too plain, doesn’t have that exotic edge. Sounds like a 430 could be somewhat reliable also, at least compared to 348 and 355.

12. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    California isnt a ferrari, its a maserati.

Robb likes this.
  13. Cobraownr

Cobraownr Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 6, 2008
    Edgewater, MD
    Full Name:
    Donald Silawsky
    Look into a 612 Scaglietti. It is the classic Ferrari front engine V-12 configuration, elegant (to many) looks that are wearing well over time, and a full four-seater to boot. The F1 tranny isn't the most advanced version, but it suits the car's rationale, a Grand Touring Car, not a sports car. The 612 is under your $100K price cap and seems to be holding value. There is plenty of information about it in the 612/599 section of FChat. The 612 "OTO" is really the one to get for a number of reasons, but it is above $100K and hard to find, as there are only about 100 in the U.S.

14. Culprit

Culprit Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 4, 2011
    Santa Ana, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian
    I've said it before and will say it again: If you're asking others about what Ferrari to buy, you're entering the wrong game. If you're not dreaming of any particular car, buying it won't be a dream fulfilled. I'll side with EastMemphis.. buy a Porsche.

EastMemphis likes this.
  15. J-P

J-P Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2007
    What's the answer if your dream is a Dino, but you can't afford it? A Porsche? Ha! Ha!

16. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    No, a Camry

Tech Nerd likes this.
  17. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    never driven a 355 but they sure are pretty. 360 may seem slow by today's standards and i wouldn't say its vintage like the 355. 430's are great but under $100k may be hard. you'll also get smoked by people in their $80k vettes.

18. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    The 355 doesnt seem slow at all so im sure a 360 wont either.

Robb likes this.
  19. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    You buy the one that makes your heart flutter. Whatever that car may be. Be it a mondial, a 348, a 355, etc. No matter which one you get, you're going to have a drain on the wallet. Your affinity for the model brings you through it. I love love love my 360. I drive it, put it away on sunday night and repeat. For me it was a 348 or a 360 and 10 years ago I managed to find a 360 for a steal and its in my garage now. No regrets whatsoever. Your heart will tell you which one to get.

Zanny1 likes this.
  20. Mmckee

Mmckee Formula 3
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2016
    Alta Loma, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mike
    A 355 seems fast, but with its looks & sound, it seems F1 fast. Most are 3 pedals & if it was your dream car you can’t lose. I don’t know anyone that was ever disappointed in one. All ex owners say the same thing: sorry I sold it.

pollila and Robb like this.
  21. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    ^^^
    What he said... +F355

Robb

pollila likes this.
  22. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Just go order a new C8 Vette with a warranty

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Dane likes this.
  23. Dane

Dane Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2002
    Please forgive my bluntness, but I cannot help it. I despise these, "entry level Ferrari which one should I buy" type of threads. If you ask, you don't get it. There are no "entry level" Ferrari's. Each is an absolute masterpiece in their own right. You do a disservice to those hard working and dedicated people who pour their hearts and souls into making each machine a masterpiece, a Ferrari.

velocegiallo, kes7u, VAF84 and 2 others like this.
  24. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I would agree if it had the same engine as the Maserati GranTurismo or Coupe.

25. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    It all depends on what you value in a Ferrari. If you are looking for price appreciation, my bet would be for the 308s and 328s to pass the 348, 355, 360, and 430 over the next 5 years. There are fewer of them all of the time. They have doubled in the last decade and could easily double again in the next. Stunningly beautiful cars.

I loved my 348s, both were quite reliable. The 430 commands a $20K premium over a comparable 360. I went with the 360, but I’m not a racer.