Help a fellow Ferrari owner relocate to the Rockies. | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Help a fellow Ferrari owner relocate to the Rockies.

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain' started by Futureman, Mar 30, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    Good to know. :eek:

-F

2. Futureman

Futureman Formula 3

May 16, 2007
    Well, I just got home from Boulder last night. The interview went well. They have a few more candidates to talk to and then will be making a decision in the next couple of weeks. They were really a great bunch of people and Ball looks like a really good place to work. Too bad I won't be able to afford to live in Boulder if I get the job. What a beautiful town. The weather Monday was perfect. Hopefully, I'll be experiencing more of that kind of weather this summer, rather than the sticky, mosquito infested heat that I'm in store for here.

3. AlanWard

AlanWard Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2010
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Alan Ward
    You can get reasonably priced housing in Boulder as long as you're not right downtown

4. Futureman

Futureman Formula 3

May 16, 2007
    Define "reasonable" and "housing". I've got 3 kids and a Ferrari that need their space. I'm a government aerospace contractor. We're not exactly bringing home doctor/lawyer money. :D

5. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Nearby Weld county should fit the bill and you won't lie awake nights worrying Boulder authorities might confiscate your Ferrari for crimes against the planet.

Dave

6. Hotzos

Hotzos Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 19, 2004
    Parker, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mark Gomez
    Golden is not a bad drive to Boulder especially if you want to ski in the winter.

7. chas-3

chas-3 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 28, 2009
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Chuck
    Was this the Ball building on Arapahoe Rd? If so, did you drive the two or so blocks east and visit Dave Helms at Scuderia Rampante? :)

8. Futureman

Futureman Formula 3

May 16, 2007
    Yes it was, and yes I thought about that too, but I didn't want to be some tire kicker bothering Dave when he's trying to work on real customer's cars. If I get out there, then I'll go bother him with my continuing CIS frustration and let him iron that system out.

9. Futureman

Futureman Formula 3

May 16, 2007
    Yes, I've been looking around and that area seems enticing. I don't want to move out to the Rockies to live on the plains. :)

10. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    The mistake I made when we moved from the MN tundra. I thought MN was harsh..... plains living.... THAT was brutal with the wind!

Look in Lyons, there are some pretty darn good values just west of town these days, and the area is now turning over quite nicely. Hygine / Niwot has some very nice properties if living in the hills isn't desired.

"you won't lie awake nights worrying Boulder authorities might confiscate your Ferrari for crimes against the planet."

Isn't that the truth! Drop dead Beautiful.... Looney Bin. It near killed the City to give me a "Green" award for buying a hot water parts washer. If the authorities don't get you, they will move a grow operation next door to you. The final straw that has turned me to looking at moving the business was a 5 digit "Retro-Active" second round use tax, taxing me to use equipment I had paid Use and Purchase tax on already, due on reciept. Such a beautiful town.... run and operated by a few privileged, perpetually stoned, airheads. Great place to live if you can stand the politics, insane place to do business... There is sound reason it is known as "25 square miles, surrounded by reality"

11. dancmos

dancmos Rookie

May 10, 2012
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dan M.
    Agreed. Boulder is beautiful, great restaurants. Filled with crazies and self-righteous intellectuals who want to take your money and spread it amongst the less fortunate. Don't choose it.

I live in Colorado Springs. It is nice, but I think Colorado is way over hyped. We're leaving when my son finishes school.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

12. Futureman

Futureman Formula 3

May 16, 2007
    :D Yeah, I can see that. Seemed like a very liberal town. I really need to just worry about getting the job before I start worrying about where to live. It's all for naught if I get the wrong phone call.

By the way, Dave, it looks like I was literally across the street from your shop for all of my interview. I was in the Ball building on the corner of Arapahoe and 55th st.

13. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    Yup, within a stones throw away.

Our experience is different than dancmos's.... we wouldn't trade it for the world, it truly is a dream realized for our whole family. There are like 7 native Colorado people left, the area is a mix of personalities from across the country and it makes for very interesting and diverse communities. If the family enjoys Nature and the Wilderness... this is it.

Front range living can be difficult if you choose to be in the Hills up this way. With all the fires in the last few years, you must make sure to talk with locals familiar with any given area. It is easy to be blinded by the beauty and make discussions that might be later regretted.

Next interview take the time to stop by. If all goes well there is a great group of Red Car folks up this way and we can all bring you up to speed quickly and level out the learning curve a great deal. I wish we would have had that type of insight when we moved, it would have saved us a number of years living far out on the eastern plains.

14. BLAMPEE

BLAMPEE Man Card Status: Never Issued

That's like driving through Maranello without stopping by Ferrari to at LEAST take a pic!!! :eek:

15. Futureman

Futureman Formula 3

May 16, 2007
    #65 Futureman, May 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  16. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    In my experience, in both large companies and small, the hiring process moves slowly. Be patient. If they want you, they'll hire you. If not, then move on to plan 'B'. It would be great to have you here. I'm hoping for the best.

-F

17. Futureman

Futureman Formula 3

May 16, 2007
    Well, I'm guessing I didn't get the job at Ball. It's been a month since my interview with no word. The position had dropped from the website, but I noticed yesterday that it had been relisted. So obviously, they are still looking for better candidates. That was my best lead for a job out there. It sucks being in such a niche field.

I should have stuck to my guns after college and moved to Alaska to become a bush pilot. :)

18. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    That's too bad. You might want to contact them again. There is nothing wrong with appearing enthusiastic and try to stand out from the pack a little bit.

Dave

19. chas-3

chas-3 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 28, 2009
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Chuck
    Ain't that the truth. I grew up in the 60's through 1981 in the south Boulder area, Table Mesa, where the foothills and flatirons were my back yard. Can't think of a better place to have grown up. You couldn't pay me to live in that town now.

+1 I would call back and try to talk with whoever the hiring authority is. Just my two cents.

20. Futureman

Futureman Formula 3

May 16, 2007
    I pinged the HR person and the manager I would be working for a couple of weeks ago. After a few days, I received a two line response from the HR person about still being in the decision process, thanks for your patience, we'll let you know, etc.

21. Futureman

Futureman Formula 3

May 16, 2007
    Well, I had a phone interview last week with a company called SEAKR on the south side of Denver. I haven't heard from them about a face to face. Still no word from Ball Aerospace after two months so I guess that's a "no".

A climbing friend in BC sent me some pictures of a May snow climb he did up the north face of the mountain we climbed last year. That keeps my resolve going to get out west.

I sent my resume to Sporian Microsystems in Lafayette (north side of Denver?) for an opening they have that looks really cool and right up my alley, but they are asking for a junior scientist. I sent it anyway to see if my experience changes their mind...if they have the funding to change their mind.

22. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #72 hardtop, Jul 13, 2012
  23. Futureman

Futureman Formula 3

May 16, 2007
    Looks like fun, Dave. Here's a GoPro video my friend in BC took on the summit of Rexford. Gotta love those steep peaks of the coastal range. They did a 60 meter rappel to get off the summit. Fun stuff.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYWeWs3ohNQ&feature=plcp[/ame]

24. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #74 hardtop, Jul 20, 2012
  25. Futureman

Futureman Formula 3

May 16, 2007
    The guy that filmed that video, Max, is 52. I went climbing in Montana a few years ago with another friend from Colorado Springs. He buried me on the hike in. I was 40 at the time and he was 60. You're only as old as you feel. :)

Max is certifiable. They call him Mad Max up in BC. His name is all over the Cascades "first ascent" lists. He has over 8000 flights as a paraglider and he routinely flies off that peak he's on in the video. The inside of his house is a climbing gym. Hand holds all over the walls and ropes hanging from the ceiling. His kids love it. Interesting guy.

Out of the blue this week, I got an email from Ball asking to go to an online reference system and put in 5 references. They said they were doing a back ground check and would call me at the end of the week (didn't happen) or early next week (fingers crossed it happens). So all signs point to maybe. :D