Hello, Tipo 116/133 Friends | FerrariChat

Hello, Tipo 116/133 Friends

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by paulchua, Apr 3, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #1 paulchua, Apr 3, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
    I'm Paul, and I'm visiting from the Mondial corral next door. I've owned a 1991 Mondial t cab for almost seven years now, and the experience has been nothing short of glorious.

I'm thinking of adding another car to complement her. I originally was thinking about the F355, but I decided against it because I do love bringing the family along on trips.

I love the 612 and FF/Lusso, but I think the 456 is more beautiful to my eye then the others, and the 612/FF/Lusso are also out of my budget.

My needs make the 456 (specifically the M) the perfect candidate. I've been lurking around the forum and am slowing getting through the 200 + screens of threads, trying to learn as much about these cars. Of course, I would love to have a six-speed over the automatic, but I don't think it justifies the 2x cost. (I may regret this down the line when six speeds end up being 10x the cost of GTAs!)

I read here (with owners of both) the automatic is well suited for this car as well, so that solves that question.
    So that's my background!

Of course I plan to do a full PPI and look for the following:

Windows & Regulators
    Rear Suspension and Controls (Levelers)
    Radiator/Fans/Cooling
    Valve Guides (although I heard M's solved this? not sure what is true)
    Shrinking/Wrapping
    Hoses/Lines
    Fuel Pumps

I saw these three candidates, and I know the collective brain trust often have background info on particular cars, so please don't be shy if you have any 'dirt' or hopefully great things to say about the car. Also helpful is what would you offer and consider a fair price?

2000 GTA
    2001 GTA
    1999 GTA (I don't know if this is a scam, he replied to me once, but has since gone radio silent)

This exercise reminds me of asking about a girl from the 'boys' before I ask her an on date.

haha

Thanks in advance.

Mechanical Dad and F456M like this.
  2. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    I dont know if an automatic is in your plans, but I saw this one the other day when i was driving past this place in houston. It looks pretty cheap on the surface, but who knows what it needs..... under $65k for a v12 ferrari though

http://www.nxcessmotorcars.com/vehicle-details/used-2001-ferrari-456m-gtr-rare-low-miles-italian-masterpiece-houston-tx-id-28421636

paulchua likes this.
  3. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Hey thanks man, really appreciate the tip. If my experience with the Mondial t is any indication, I totally agree w/ you -- these are great values. I'm convinced the best cars on earth are sorted yet under-appreciated Ferrari.

4. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Also attached are the carfax for the first MY 2000.

Carfax link for the 2001

I appreciate all your time and collective wisdom.

5. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    The 456 are excellent value for the money. I would go for a 456M with auto. It flows more smooth than a manual if you run in much stop light traffIc. The clutch is quite heavy. But if you like to get high revs manual is probably much better. Mine was manual and worked good too. There are no Ferraris with a proper oil pan automatic after the 456.... It is much more relaxing than a F1 in auto mode. They look good in all colors. A Verde Zeltweg met. or Grigio Ingrid is maybe more sophisticated than a yellow or Rosso Corsa and to be would be more interesting and harder to find for those who really want something special. It looks great in black too.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

paulchua likes this.
  6. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Beautiful car! I too am partial to darker colors. Appreciate your response!

F456M likes this.
  7. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Also as a follow up, I searched on Ferrarichat and only found general and vague responses to the question "How much room in the backseats" My kids are about 5'5 and 5'6 will they fit back there? They are out-growing the Mondial, they still can fit, but as I am a merciful father, I only subject them to that for short trips around town.

8. asgor

asgor Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2016
    Virginia, USA
    5'.5 and 5'.6 will fit but barely and not very comfortably beyond the first 30 minutes. Anyone above 5'.7 will have to tilt their heads to avoid touching the rear glass.

This 2+2 is more spacious in the back seat than any Porsche 911 or most other similarly arranged automobiles, but it still has limits.

paulchua likes this.
  9. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Thanks asgor...
    hmmm, I think I'll need to find one local and do a 'seat test'

Appreciate the info.

Cheers

10. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Yeah, kinda what he said! Its tolerable, one can't quite describe it as generous. 612's are definitely roomier in the back but I'm with you on the visual styling....456 is just downright pretty. BTW, I keep a register on US 456Ms. You are welcome to any info I can offer up.

F456M and paulchua like this.
  11. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Thank you Eric, appreciate the info.

12. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Just let me know, Paul. More than happy to help.

paulchua likes this.
  13. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I was looking at the recent prices of 456M GTAs and found these two anomalies at the lower end last year.

2018 Montery Auction sold for $34,100 (This includes the Buyer's Premium)
    2018 RM Sotheby's Auburn Fall 2018 sold for $33,000 (This includes Buyer's premium)

Any thoughts on this? Is buying at Auction present it's own risks (hence the low price) - I've never done it, although I did bid recently in the Sotheby's auction but did not hit the reserve. Would you recommend for/against getting a car from an auction?

Again, appreciate the replies so far, I am grateful for this community.

14. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Those two car were a steal!!

Both beautiful.

Good luck.

Erik

paulchua likes this.
  15. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    my thoughts exactly.

16. scowman

scowman Formula 3

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    Unless someone has been completely through the car recently there will be a bunch of things to catch up on. These cars are getting older. A ppi will unlikely tell you all the things that need doing.

paulchua likes this.
  17. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Alright pulled the trigger, - 1999 Black GTA with 21,500 miles. Car will be here probably in a couple weeks.

Here we go.

Cheers

Attached Files:

18. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Paul, would you mind sharing the VIN with me so I can update this car on the register. I'll PM you a copy of the register in reward for the data!!

AND CONGRATULATIONS!!

paulchua likes this.
  19. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Thank you Eric, if even a few of the 456 owners are like you, I am a lucky man indeed!

1999 M GTA
    VIN#ZFFWP50A6X0114673

Car purchased in July 1999 from Ferrari of Denver

First owner owned until September 2003 sold at 9,000 miles
    Second owner owned April 2004 - May 2005 sold at 12,559 miles (Houston Texas Area)
    Third owner from November 2007 - December 2014 (Tennesee) sold at 21,000 miles
    Fourth owner from August 2015 - March 2019 (Florida Area) drove for only 1,000 miles for a total of 22K miles (maybe rolled-backed?) who knows.

I saw it was at auction (high bid of $40,000 ($44,000 w/ buyers premium - internet bid) - 3/2/2019 at GAA Classics - ) dealer I bought it from said it was a trade in, but I suspect he got it at auction for what? $41-42? Sold to me for a quick 2-3Gs. (my guess)

20. puckybadger

puckybadger Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 12, 2016
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Nice. If you picked this up for $45K or so then you got a deal. If it was me I would without hesitation have the major belt and fluid service done so you know you're all set.

Laserguru and paulchua like this.
  21. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Thanks so much my friend, appreciate the kind words! I'll let folks know about my adventures (and misadventures) with the car. I got it for 44.5.

In the meantime, I'm going through the 2,000+ or so threads in this forum.

MaurizioAM likes this.
  22. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Heck, if for no other reason, just to make sure that you have new Hill Engr tensioner bearings. Also, have the motor mounts checked to see if they have been upgraded to the 575 mounts. The old mounts, when they sag, will let things drag between the dry sump connections and the steering arms. Bad juju. The 575 mounts have limiting droop ears on them so that when the rubber dies, they hard stop but aren't sitting on anything else that might break. I think that is the biggest "oh crap" upgrade that you have to check on immediately.

paulchua likes this.
  23. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Thank you so much Eric, will do and report!

24. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    My friends, hoping this may help somebody here. I saw this ad on Craigslist (and the town is close to me)
    I emailed the guy and found out he is a member here
    after a few days of not hearing anything I got this email:

Hi Paul,

I have tried to anticipate some questions...

Manual or Automatic? It is an automatic.
    History? No accidents or body work. Very straight car.
    How long have you owned it? 5 years.

Why are you selling the car? I will be 80 years old in June and ingress and egress is becoming more difficult.

Miles on the car? 60K miles.

When was the last belt service done...do you have service records?
    10K miles ago approx 3 years ago...all belts... timing belts, alternator, water pump, A/C, power steering, all idler and tensioner pulleys.
    All records since delivery from Ferrari of Beverly Hills.

Any deferred maintenance or needed repairs?
    Passenger window regulator is erratic and lifts unequally, needs replacement. Water pump is due for replacement...factory recommendation is 50K miles. Passenger seat back will not lean forward...pull cable is binding.

Do you have books, keys?

1 black fob 3 keys. All books in like-new leather wallet... HiFi System; HiFi System warranty book; Alarm System Instruction book; Ferrari Sales and Service Organization Directory; Consumer Information Book; Consumer Information for air bag equipped cars, PIN number card, Warranty Card and Owner’s Service book;Owner’s Manual MY 1999.

Do you have the original 17" Ferrari OEM wheels? No
    Current Novotec wheels have some curb rash, but can be easily restored.

Do you have tool kit? No

How is the leather on the seat bolsters, rear shelf, air bag covers, and dash...is there a lot of stretching?
    Overall leather is very good in all areas.Dash board is in excellent condition. Back shelf leather had shrunk badly. Replaced with black tuff fabric. Air bag cover had been removed and air bag structure finished with leather beading. Passenger side headliner sags about an inch over an area of about 4 inches..

I tried getting back in touch, and it would appear he has gone radio silent. - Although the car was relisted again as recently as 4/1 - so he is active as recently as Monday at least. Maybe he just doesn't like me? hahaha

Just thought I would share, I think it can be talked down to low 30s given the mileage. Since we've seen similar cars (with 1/3 of the miles) sell last year for as low as 35, - 31, 32 is a fair price. Definitely shouldn't be more then 35 IMHO.

F456M likes this.
  25. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Congratulations! Black 456M GTA with tan interior is really the real thing! One good advice: get a state of the art radar detector! This thing flies when you let it do its thing...

paulchua likes this.