Hello from NJ! New GTS 6 speed member | Page 15 | FerrariChat

Hello from NJ! New GTS 6 speed member

Discussion in '348/355' started by GTSNJ, Jan 19, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Really not sure what to say at this point? Can you sit on the seat and drive the car, of course! All I'm saying is if a seat has ripped seams, wiping it down with leather conditioner and taking a picture from further away didn't fix it.

To be fixed correctly it would have to be re-upholstered.

You say no fading but the seat belts are purple?

Dash is obviously shrunk but you say it's perfect?

Again, if you're pleased with it than by all means drive it. The leather is beat up in my 59 Cadillac as well. I don't plan to replace it but I also didn't clean it and say it was restored either.

I wasn't the one looking for a back window but I think smells and algae and such should be easy to clean off of glass.

2. GTSNJ

GTSNJ Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2015
    #352 GTSNJ, Jan 29, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Sounds good.

4. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    On that note, I shall retire from this thread. Michael, thank you very much; your ability to be objective is noted and appreciated. Thank you.

5. viper11511

viper11511 Karting

May 27, 2014
    Midwest, USA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I think I know the true identity of GTSNJ! It's Marshawn Lynch (get it?)! Could it be you? Good luck this weekend btw! Go Seahawks! Ha!
    -Just kidding. Trying to inject a little humor is all!

6. tr512

tr512 Formula 3

Apr 12, 2007
    canada burnaby bc
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Thanks
    I was going to send you a PM. In no way was my post towards you.I know your intent is good and i'm glad you read my post to him.
    Michael

7. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    I'll try to clear this up.

I don't talk down on anyone's car or their mods. I'm not down on your car or you. I'm not solely a purist on these cars. Let me repeat that. I'm not a purist. I can appreciate a car that's 100% OEM and also other owner's taste even when their car greatly deviates from OEM. What I do love is the history of the cars and what came from the factory and a record of that.

I do have all the OEM original parts and optional parts available for my car in my possession or am rediculous my close. I may swap out the rear challenge grill for the OEM yellow painted one, or swap to challenge wheels. Or swap the radio for a blank plate, or switch steering wheels from airbag to non... But because my mods are easily and very quickly reversible, and I retain all the other parts in a packed box next to the car, I can do this at will. I'm ready to enter a concours any day although it's not on my "must do" list.

Enjoying my car, and it's history and ties to the factory IS on my list.

I really appreciate that Ferrari got it right with these cars. No one has anything to prove - especially not me. I hope people enjoy their cars. I don't wear white gloves with mine and I don't pass judgment on ones that are different.

Robb

8. GTSNJ

GTSNJ Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2015
    Fait enough! Let's all be friends .

9. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    #359 Robb, Jan 29, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
    Most people know me here on or off the thread forums. I'm supportive of all owners and love the marque. I try to pay it forward meeting other F-chatters on the road and helping where I can. I get that in return from so many.

I started the thread on the salvage cars so we can consolidate the discussions and free-for-all verbal combat (since salvage discussion can rile some up) to areas that are separate from all the positive threads.

I don't like drama here. It's where most of us come to relax.

If you read my posts in that thread, I'm not bagging on your car or any salvage branded title. But there needs to be a level of fair play when finding out the background of a car.

Normally all cars with questionable mileage or storied histories are fully vetted when a seller tries to come post an ad claiming one thing on F-chat only to be uncovered as a liar. It doesn't take too long. We've seen it many times here over my membership of 10 years.

This is a good place people can be open about their cars and put all the cards on the table. I have never hinted at any foul play by you or for your car or passed any judgement. Other than saying - people establish or lose their credibility here easily based on their track record on even simple things.

Robb

10. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Sounds good. Welcome aboard. :)

Robb.

11. GTSNJ

GTSNJ Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2015
    Thank you . Its all in good fun and I'm here for the long run. Not to sell a car. See you all in other threads :)

12. michael craig

michael craig Karting

Jan 28, 2013
    NYC-Area
    Full Name:
    Mike
    And the winner is??? EVERYONE!!! Congrats we all win! Xo!

13. jimmym

jimmym Formula 3

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast U.S.
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Good way to wind down a thread. Peace.

14. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Double thumbs up!!

Robb

15. GTSNJ

GTSNJ Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2015
  16. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #366 Eric C, Feb 2, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  17. GTSNJ

GTSNJ Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2015
    Isn't she a beauty ?

18. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Take special note of that VIN on the steering column: ZFFPR42B0000102602 and not ZFFPR4ZB0000102602.

19. GTSNJ

GTSNJ Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2015
    Correct, same as the other vins everyone has posted photos of...like the door plate and engine cradle as well.

What I learned today was the window etch corresponds to the vin. Cool stuff and great photos! Its like the paparazzi follows this famous car around.

My targa roof also has a 19510 assembly number.

20. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Careful, now; the window code corresponds to the serial number, and the serial number is merely the last six digits of the 17-digit VIN. The window code in no way excuses the fact that there are public records for this car that contain an incorrect VIN.

21. GTSNJ

GTSNJ Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2015
    Ahhhhhhh ok. Good to know. Do the letters within the window etch correspond? I see the numbers go to the serial but how do the letters decode ?

22. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Window codes - or window stampings as they're known on build sheets - have changed over the years. Back in the 328/Testorossa/348 era, the window code for, let's say, Testarossa s/n 63801, would look like this: 63801-PMY.

But these days, window codes on cars like yours begin with letter, followed by four numbers, and then ending with three letters. Window codes have always been related to insurance purposes, but the easiest to read window codes such as yours, as to assign a number to the first letter.

Ergo, A=10, B=11, C=12, B=13, etc. So your window code (A2602NXM), where A=10, actually tells us the serial number of the car, 102602NXM. The NXM is a random internal factory code. In case someone steals your car, and/or your car's glass, the window code can help reveal the theft.

23. acmw

acmw Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2006
    Nj
    Full Name:
    Alex
    whens the next meet you are going to in NJ so we can roll together?

24. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric