heater hose removal | FerrariChat

heater hose removal

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by JIMBO, Dec 16, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    Greetings,
    Has anyone ever removed/ replaced the two coolant hoses that go from the firewall to the heater core? Specifically, will I have to remove the entire center console or merely the passenger side foot rest? The engine and fuel tanks are out right now. Can I tape the new hose to the old and pull both back out through the firewall?
    Any help would be appreciated before I jump into this project.
    Thanks

2. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    Sorry, 1994 512 TR

3. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    If you are working on a Boxer, you can tape the hoses together and VERY CAREFULLY pull the new hose through. Make sure you have somebody pushing on one end as you pull slowly on the other end. I am sure others here will have additional methods.

turbo-joe likes this.
  4. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Have not done it since the cars were new but it wasn't hard to do. They run through the center frame tube. As I recall the console needed to come out but in a TR512 that isn't a hard job. The run isn't very long on them but as opposed to Dwight I stitch the new to the old together with safety wire. If for some reason a good pull is needed they won't come apart like tape can.

5. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    you also may you some silicone spray

6. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    Brian: You are absolutely correct. I had forgot I have also used safety wire successfully! It is a better way to go. Thanks for reminding me.

7. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    sorry, misstyping :(

wanted to write:
    you also may use some silicone spray

8. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    I have used a plastic connector for my sprinklers that is barbed on both ends. Just push in and both will be locked forever. You can get them in any home improvement store. Maybe 1/2" or 3/4" fitting? I will take a piece of hose with me.

9. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    I went to Lowe's and found several double-barbed "splicers" in the plumbing section, both in plastic and brass. I went with the $2.64 plastic piece. Once it is pushed into the hose, it is VERY difficult to get out. I would make sure you have a clean (non-stretched) cut end.
    Unfortunately my hose (silicone coolant hose) will not be here until Friday. This should work. I may just put a piece of duct tape over the connection just to be sure.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    Check out the interior of one of the old hoses. It looks like the original Ferrari hose. Silicone hose is more expensive, but this will never happen.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Jim,

Just a heads up and perhaps others may comment... When I used silicone coolant hoses in my Boxer I found that clamps would loosen over time and so I had to re-tighten them a couple times a season. After my last engine out I removed the silicone hoses and went back to non silicone high quality hoses and I have never had to retighten the clamps (I still check them though). Others may have different experiences and/or use different clamps (I used ABA clamps) and so it may be worth digging into this further.

Cheers,

Sam

12. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    One of my old coolant hoses was silicone and it lasted 36000 miles with no problems.