Heat Exchanger Failuer | FerrariChat

Heat Exchanger Failuer

Discussion in '360/430' started by goachild2000, Oct 20, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. goachild2000

goachild2000 Karting
    BANNED

Jul 20, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Shardul Mehta
    About a month ago the coolant temps would go past the half way mark. Thanks to this forum we found the problem was a faulty coolant temp sensor. Replaced that and every thing was fine. This past weekend we were checking the fluids and the coolant reservoir is full a green gooey paste.
    It seems like the heat exchanger developed a bad leak.
    How difficult is it to replace this part and where is the best place to get a new one. Any DIY?

Thank you

2. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    You can replace it in two ways: go through the rear access hatch in the passenger compartment or by removing the air intake on the top of the engine.

If I were to do it, I would buy the heat exchanger from ricambi, then I would also buy new air intake gaskets. That way you refresh any bad gaskets when you take off the air intake on the top of the engine to replace the intercooler. Takes a couple of days in the garage when I took off the air intake, redo the gaskets below the air intake plenum and the heat exchanger is right there.

3. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley

+1. Cleaning out the gooey mess is another thing altogether. That will likely take as much time and effort as the heat exchanger replacement. You have to get it all out as it will clog up the lines and lead to cooling problems if you don't. Also you will need to flush and change the transmission fluid to be sure to get out all the contaminated fluid. This is why it's important to do annual fluid changes, and also consider preventative replacement of the heat exchanger before this happens. That said, my old one didn't look all that bad, so this is consistent with advice that you may not have a heat exchanger problem if you do annual fluid changes, including coolant.

4. English Rebel

English Rebel Formula 3

Aug 13, 2013
    Piedmont Area of NC
    Full Name:
    Alan
    I changed mine as a precautionary measure and it was right at $1890 that included the intake gaskets ($20) and the 10% FCA discount. I elected to use the dealer provided heat exchanger instead of trying to save a couple of hundred bucks and I keep my peace of mind.
    The clean out of the cooling system and transmission will probably set you back another $1-3k depending on the amount of contamination.
    Alan

nessus-gte likes this.
  5. goachild2000

goachild2000 Karting
    BANNED

Jul 20, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Shardul Mehta
    thanks for all the advise and pointers.

is it pretty easy to get to from the rear access panel. Manifold gaskets were replaced on this car.

6. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    For the coolant system try dish detergent mix. Tranny flush is up to you..

7. English Rebel

English Rebel Formula 3

Aug 13, 2013
    Piedmont Area of NC
    Full Name:
    Alan
    I understand that frontal assault can be tricky. If you remove the oil lines from the transmission together with their supports and the coolant hoses from the tank you can pull the whole assembly out. I believe the water pump has to come off (good time for new seals). The only tricky part is removing the rear coolant hose clamp and hose as you have to fish your hand under the intake manifold to get to it.
    I believe that Rifledriver does it this way.
    Alan

8. rizzo308

rizzo308 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    riggio
    To flush the cooling system I would use this product made by cummins can't post picture from my phone I ll post from my computer later. Product is called restore plus.
    Good luck

9. rizzo308

rizzo308 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    riggio
    #9 rizzo308, Oct 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  10. English Rebel

English Rebel Formula 3

Aug 13, 2013
    Piedmont Area of NC
    Full Name:
    Alan
    Do you have coolant in the transmission or haven't you checked yet?
    Alan

11. goachild2000

goachild2000 Karting
    BANNED

Jul 20, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Shardul Mehta
    have not checked that out yet.

thanks for all the help!

12. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I have to imagine that it's way less harmful to have oil in the coolant, than coolant in the oil!
    I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that the cross contamination is isolated to your cooling system. Unfortunately, if I had to guess, I would think that if the fluid can mix one way, it will mix the other way as well.

13. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    My mechanic has fixed a few of these. As I recall he said he had to disassemble the last transaxle because you can't just flush the goo out of the small oil passages. The transaxle was the big money pit because it takes a lot of time.

14. rustybits

rustybits F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Jan 28, 2007
    Somewhere, anywhere
    Full Name:
    Eddie B
    You can usually get away with it if you catch the failure early enough. A few trans oil changes at couple hundred mile intervals usually gets if all out. The tell-tale sign is reversing with A bit of steering lock applied, if uou get a noise and juddering the diff plates have been affected..

15. weebz69

weebz69 Karting

Jul 11, 2014
    Gilbert AZ
    Full Name:
    Jason W.
    I just had mine completely fail on me. I brought it to the Shop. I was gonna tackle it but thats a pain in the a$$. I know the heat exchanger price went up in August it used to be $975....now its 1100 some. The part im ticked off is after multiple flushes i still have tranny fluid showing up from when it failed. So i guess ill keep doing flushes until the crap is gone. But dont drive your car, get this fixed, cuz that slushy stuff is your tranny fluid and the shop told me the place they order there parts from told em they had 3 other 360s heat exchangers fail and they also ordered tranmissions with em. I was lucky and i caught it early like you. After i discovered that i towed it in....its hard to say what it cost me cuz when the car was in i had them replace the tranny mount and rebuild my steering rack because it was leaking....All said and done 8100 but im sure it was mustly labor in the steering rack.

16. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Oil out of the cooling system is harder.

The trans is pretty easy. I use the cheapest oil I can find and just fill, run on the hoist and drain. Two times is usually enough.

one4torque likes this.
  17. English Rebel

English Rebel Formula 3

Aug 13, 2013
    Piedmont Area of NC
    Full Name:
    Alan
    Oh boy Jason, that car has cost you a pretty penny. That's a bummer. :(
    Alan

18. English Rebel

English Rebel Formula 3

Aug 13, 2013
    Piedmont Area of NC
    Full Name:
    Alan
    I just checked Ricambi and they have gone from $975 to $1264.80. I chose to let my dealer provide it (for peace of mind) and was charged $1200 -- wonder it they hiked their price as well.
    Alan

19. goachild2000

goachild2000 Karting
    BANNED

Jul 20, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Shardul Mehta
    very good info posted.

20. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Thank you. That's good to know for the transmission. For the engine I'd use a flush or some detergent if I have to (knock on wood).. and then if I'm pissed off enough change it to a challenge setup with the cooler perhaps behind on one side of the rear hatch lock.

21. mdileo

mdileo Karting

Jan 27, 2015
    Nyc
    Full Name:
    Max
    kes7u likes this.
  22. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    The real problem is the gear box. Sorry for the problem but you will get it cleaned up.

23. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    It's a good idea to periodically check the expansion tank for an oil sheen. If caught early, a heat exchanger replacement is a lot simpler and the risks to the expensive transaxle are minimized.

Qavion, one4torque and kes7u like this.
  24. mdileo

mdileo Karting

Jan 27, 2015
    Nyc
    Full Name:
    Max
    Update parts are in ! Lets see when i can get around to the service now. Ive heard sometimes the oil might mix i to the coolant and not the coolant into the gearbox / rear axle so im still hoping i can flush everything clean it all out and replace the exchanger n be back on the road .

25. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

i just use cheap 75w90 to flush the gearbox.
    fill, run the car for 100 yards, drain
    fill, run the car for 100 yards, drain
    do this for 7 times, 10 times if you'd like.
    And its done.

actually, after 5 times, the oil will appear to be ok. 10 times just to be OCD safe.