Has Forza Mag run its course? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Has Forza Mag run its course?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by jjmalez, Jun 4, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    from a business perspective what I find most interesting is hardly any advertisers in there.

Texas Forever likes this.
  2. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Magneto is new.

Marcel Massini

3. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Right, Marcel. As a matter of fact I just ordered the new issue*, but I was referring to American magazines. Magneto is British, I believe.

*From eBay, as no one at Magneto answered my email to help me place an on line order with them.:rolleyes:

4. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Ahh the magazine business... Oddly no one mentioned Enzo and the train wreck they are right from the start.

Anyway as print and postage go up, subscribers want cheaper subscriptions and advertisers don't really want to pay. At least here in the U.S. It's a no win situation for many that can't get the support from big paying advertisers as news stand is shrinking and has been for many years. Distribution is all but a monopoly here in the U.S. and independent publishers have no pull for higher margins. Some magazines do well still and I know many brave people still trying to get it to work but I am not optimistic.

5. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Gerald was always stunned by how much you charged.

Jack-the-lad likes this.
  6. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
  7. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I think if it weren't for Tire Rack and Weather Shield, CandD and R&T would be out of business.

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  8. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    FerrariChat was always an easy sell because I came in under a quarter page ad in Forza, Cavallino, or FML. All I had to say was would you rather pay more for X,XXX people who will flip through once or would you rather pay less for XX,XXX people who visit multiple times a day the entire month. You could hear the wind rushing businesses leaving print for us.

9. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Those where the days, my friend. Gerald said he designed the FML to be read on the can.

10. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    those are wise and accurate words! :D I haven't read a FML in forever, I'm kind of scared to look. I browsed a Forza the other day and was disappointed. I'm sure Cavallino still had great specific vintage articles.

11. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    #36 GatorFL, Jun 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
    You had me until this statement which is so wrong, I can't believe the rest of what you wrote. In the US, advertising pays the bills. Subscriptions for almost every magazine are a loss leader. The cost of a subscription does not usually cover printing, paper and postage. It is simple economics.

You may be referring to readership. Readership is the number of impressions a magazine gets. This is how ad prices are based. More readership = higher ad costs.

I'm a 25 year veteran of the industry. I retired in 2016 and work in healthcare now.

12. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    By the way, Sports Illustrated was just put on life support. I read a pretty detailed article about it this morning. Based on what I read, I'm guessing it will be pulled from print in 3 years.

13. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    My problems have been attracting advertisers. Readers were not really an issue but even with some pretty high draws off the news stand with both overall sales and percent sold, advertisers were all but impossible for me to find. Lots of trading but very few willing to pay. I cannot speak for anyone else in the magazine industry but I pulled my quarterly and am revamping what I do but while I tentatively plan an annual Bookazine, I am not sure even that will draw advertisers either.

14. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    I had dozens of clients when I retired from the business, including one of the most successful niche weekly magazines in the country. I did not have one client on solid financial footing. The weekly was a well known title that followed a sporting event and enjoyed major national advertisers. The publisher confided in me the difficulties they were having getting the likes of Nike, etc to buy ads. About a year later the company was sold, and the weekly was transformed into a monthly.

Advertisers don't want to be in print magazines, there are far more effective ways to get content out to readership.

The printers are doing their best to position print as a niche luxury. I think that magazines will always exist, but they will be a premier type of marketing.