Has anyone tried this iPhone app for belt tensioning? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Has anyone tried this iPhone app for belt tensioning?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by scowman, Feb 18, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. scowman

scowman Formula 3

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    What is the difference between belt position and varying cam shaft loading? Don’t different belt positions result in different cam shaft loading thus different tension thus different frequency?

2. andyww

andyww F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2011
    London
    Different engine positions result in different camshaft loading. This is a repeatable pattern over 2 revolutions of the engine.
    Imagine instead of looking at engine revolution you made a mark on the belt instead. This would have no relation to camshaft varying load, at least not until after many engine revolutions.
    But the point is, the belt tension is dependent only on engine position, not on where the mark on the belt is.

3. Robbe

Robbe Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2013
    The Netherlands
    Hi all,
    old thread, I know.
    But for me relevant, as I am starting with the XLmajor on my 550.
    I downloaded the Gates Carbon app, to check the present tension on my old belts.
    The waterpump belt only saw 56 Hz on the app (???), but the long strand can be twisted over 180 degrees easily.
    From my experience with belts, too low a tension, but so much off?
    I measured like 10 times, values 55-56Hz all the time...looks like the app is correct...

As it should be 120 -130HZ, something obviously is not correct , most likely adjusted wrongly by the indy that did the last maintenance 4-5 years ago.
    I guess there were no apps in 2016..
    I tensioned it further to 124Hz, but it now appears to me as a really high value for this type of belt with such a long upper side.
    It even sings a bit now when plucked.
    I get a consistent 124-125 Hz , but should this belt really be feeling this tight?
    ( I do not mean the 124Hz, I know that the value is correct, but the very tight appearance of the belt)

Because all belts measure very, very low, (timing belts to 45 HZ o_O ) I am questioning the measurements I took a bit , even if I could replicate those values all the time.
    I hope somebody remembers how their freshly and correctly tightened belt felt...

4. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I used this along with a proper belt tension gauge and the iPhone app read low
    I can not remember exactly but it was very consistent
    Did you put in the correct length and use it as described
    If you did I found it close but low
    Can not remember how much I am guessing here but I thought about 10%

5. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    Can someone post a link to this Gates app, (Android) please?

6. Robbe

Robbe Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2013
    The Netherlands
    Thanks, 10% too low would sound logical to me, as the present timing belts are 84 HZ at the most when put under tension by rotating the engine by hand, and I assume that they have not been set tighter than the spring allows by itself.
    So around 95 real Hz sounds right in that case. (The 575 WSM 126Hz on the long side of the timing belt can only be reached by helping the tensioner a bit)
    The maintenance was done by an indy that has a very good name regarding Porsche and BMW, but apparently did know sh*t about ferraris.

I have removed the v-belts (and steering pump) again, and I will set the tension when I am done with the major, at 110 for the waterpump (still twice what it was...)
    At the moment I am shamelessly copying the aluminium bridges MSW developed to help safely removing the cams, so it will be some weeks before I will tighten the belts again.

About the Gates app for Android, it is called Carbon Drive. Very easy to use.

7. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
  8. Robbe

Robbe Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2013
    The Netherlands
    Yes, I seem to remember to have read that somewhere ( I read a lot of threads on the 550 service, like 10 hours of postings, just to educate myself for this endeavour), but thanks for showing the info!!
    Just a question about it that I can't find answered so far, about that the total sum of frequencies should be 335 to 360 Hz.
    Is the sum of the tension measured at the same time for both long and short side , or is it the sum of the highest tensions one can set any side to, by turning the engine Clock wise or a bit counter clockwise? I assume at the same time, but I like to be sure...

9. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    Robbe,

Got it.

Thanx.

10. Jaymac

Jaymac Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 18, 2020
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Jeremy McCurdy
    As of today, the Gates Carbon Drive app states it’s for bicycles, motorcycles and scooters. That’s the only one I can find.
    is this the one that everyone is using for their cars?

Thanks

11. Aerosurfer

Aerosurfer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Try 'Carltune'
    'Belt Tension meter'
    'Spectroid'

I preferred Carltune the best, but all 3 gave consistent results