Has anyone had the dreaded transaxle/diff failure? | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Has anyone had the dreaded transaxle/diff failure?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by stevel48, Dec 12, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Very true, I kept my ferrari and gave up the house in a divorce, no regrets.

2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Well....

*chiming in where no one cares*

If I HAD a Boxer I think I'd just order that improved carrier, and be done.....THEN the next part in the driveline can be the one to fall off!

You are right Brian, I have run smooth out of women to entertain lately, and all of a sudden I have all this money to work on cars!

..and SPEEDBOATS!! :D :D

Hated to let the Sleeping Boxer Beauty go by though.....

3. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

Heh...........it's the same for Porsche as well.

4. AndreGemini

AndreGemini Rookie

Sep 2, 2008
    England
    Full Name:
    Andre Verwey
    I have been in Formula 1 Gearbox manufacture for many years. A friend of mine, had the dreaded happen to him and I would like to help.
    Can any help me find a good example of the diff cage that I can reverse engineer and make some decent ones. When I do, I will make some
    available to all the other owners......and I can promise it will be the finest qualiy at a supermarket price.

5. AndreGemini

AndreGemini Rookie

Sep 2, 2008
    England
    Full Name:
    Andre Verwey

I have been in Formula 1 Gearbox manufacture for many years. A friend of mine, had the dreaded happen to him and I would like to help.
    Can any help me find a good example of the diff cage that I can reverse engineer and make some decent ones. When I do, I will make some
    available to all the other owners......and I can promise it will be the finest qualiy at a supermarket price.

6. AndreGemini

AndreGemini Rookie

Sep 2, 2008
    England
    Full Name:
    Andre Verwey
    Can you perhaps give me some contact details. I have phoned more Ferrari "think you knows" than what you can shake a stick at and I just cannot find
    the correct thing.

My Mail is: [email protected]

7. luckydynes

luckydynes F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    CA and OR
    Full Name:
    pit bull
    #132 luckydynes, Oct 25, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hey all,

I don't have a TR diff or any experience with them but I've had a few 308 diff's apart. Most recently I had this horrible popping and snapping and found a chunk of metal on the drain plug magnet. I pulled off the bottom cover and inspected the gears and didn't see anything so I figured it was something in the diff. I thought the piece on the magnet was a chunk of spider or output shaft gear but it ended up being the tab off of the thrust washers that are in the diff.

When this tab sheared off it got jammed between the spring and the diff housing. Like I said the popping was horrendous and I could feel it thru my foot. Essentially this would try and split the diff in half ... it would try and spread the halves which is what it seems like is going on with the TR failures??? Just wanted to throw this out there. My car is back on the road now but I don't have the warm fuzzies about the tabs on the thrust washers 'cause on the diff that failed I had replaced/checked the thrust washers 350 hrs ago. New thrust washers have longer tabs on them FWIW.

Cheers,

Sean
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    This is some interesting detective work. Is the diff the same design on the BBi's. I wouldn't be surprised if the diff's were the same. The BB CV joint are the exact same as 308. That tells me this hardware is overdesigned for the 308, and possibly underdesigned for the BB. Maybe a careful inspection of drained gear oil in search for debris could be the warning piece of the puzzle. The BIG prob is if a carrier goes, there will be no way to tell what precipitated what.

Sorry for going off-topic - I had a Fiat (67 Horsepower) diff go, and it had no limited slip. It was a fatigue failure that took 220,000 + miles of "fun" driving before it went. I started doing the research to weld up all of the aluminum that got splattered all over the road, and buy the replacement parts for those that got munched, when I came across a clean used one for $175. I got it back in the car that afternoon including an oil change.

I can't even think about that failing on the Boxer.

9. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    The carrier is not the same as the 308, if that was the case a carrier for a boxer would cost less than a 2-4 of beer. I wish.

10. luckydynes

luckydynes F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    CA and OR
    Full Name:
    pit bull
    I wouldn't expect the carrier to be identical, but if the diff's are prone to this thrust washer failure, it's going to but a bunch of "splitting" force on the carrier assembly.

11. luckydynes

luckydynes F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    CA and OR
    Full Name:
    pit bull
    FWIW I was told the later Porsche diff's also made by ZF do not have the tabs on the thrust washers.

12. TomTerry

TomTerry Karting

Jan 20, 2008
    How to find, is not on google?

13. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
  14. kerrywittig

kerrywittig Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2005
    Ithaca, New York
    Full Name:
    Kerry David Wittig
    #139 kerrywittig, Dec 6, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2009
    I.............have never had a carrier in a Ferrari fail. But I have a new/upgraded/not welded one, I had made, that I will install as soon as it gets done traveling around North America sightseeing and instigating drive-bys and damage to police cars!.......It's a long and dangerous story!!! I have a diff.........with a record!! See, when rockwell hardens them, they become criminal it seems!

Kerry

15. DonB

DonB Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Don Bartz
    #140 DonB, Apr 25, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2010
    Has anyone considered the history of their Boxer in relation to this failure? Was the car driven hard? Was it drag raced? Has the diff oil always been changed?

Remember the 512's were raced, so maybe it would be a good idea to try and find out what mods were done to the transaxel on the racing 512's.

It seems really odd that the diff would fail if your car has always been used primarly for normal street/highway use.

I had the engine out of my 512 BBi SN 51723 (I'm the third owner), and when out, I had everything inspected with no faults found. The car has 19,000 miles on it and has always, under my ownership, been driven "kindly". I knew the previous two owners and neither were the typ to hot rod the car.

16. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #141 Rifledriver, Apr 25, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2010

The fact of the matter is so many of those cars (BB,TR,512) were bought by flippers or someone who knew he was only going to have it for a year or two so they were driven like they were stolen. I can't tell you how many I saw in front of the dealer with an owner who yelled "Hey, watch this" when he dumped the clutch at 6000 rpm. Every time I hear someone claim "HIS" TR or whatever with an unknown first year or two of life was NEVER driven that way just makes me laugh.

I have NEVER seen a diff failure on a car with a history that shows good treatment from day one.

17. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    For me it was just peace of mind to upgrade the diff.....along with getting the sodium filled valves out before anything happens - its about prevention for me. Now ive at least seen the insides of my engine and gearbox, updating some items while im there and now those possible problems down the road are eliminated. Doesnt mean it wont break a crown and pinion or a forward gear but I feel better about thrashing my car.

18. Buxton

Buxton Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2010
    Full Name:
    B Buxton
    So you're saying that the diff failure only occurs because people launch these cars?

19. Buxton

Buxton Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2010
    Full Name:
    B Buxton
    #144 Buxton, Dec 23, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  20. 90koenigTR

90koenigTR Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    I. P. Freely
    Just shredded my diff carrier. It sheared off at the weld, as expected. I'm sure that the twin-turbos didn't help the already weak design at all. Does anyone know if Modena in Australia is still making upgraded replacements?

21. Gleggy

Gleggy Formula 3

Sep 22, 2004
    Land of Oz
    Full Name:
    Gleggy
    Talk to Paul Newman, in Canada, you may be very lucky to find he has a carrier left. Mine has been replaced late last year as the original was toast. At that point Paul had only one carrier left for sale. So PM him asap.
    Cheers MG

22. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Check E-bay, 2 were on there Feb. 06-11. $3300

Ago

23. Cruiser

Cruiser Rookie

Jan 21, 2011
    Kalahari, RSA
    Full Name:
    Nico
  24. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    What else failed when the diff broke? Is the case etc still ok?? What a scary failure.

25. 90koenigTR

90koenigTR Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    I. P. Freely
    Thank you very much. I'm on the job!

The exterior housing was blown into at least two pieces -fluid everywhere. And the loose parts shredded a bearing and bits of debris are scattered throughout the transmission -neccessitating a labor intensive cleaning as well =^(