Harry Gibson Ferrari 365 NART spyderSN12128 | FerrariChat

Harry Gibson Ferrari 365 NART spyderSN12128

Discussion in 'Recreations & Non-Period Rebodies' started by bitzman, Nov 27, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    I saw this car at Dana Point concours. Was a little confused as to what I was looking at, the nose looked like a 365GTC but it was a convertible, had side vents similar to Intermeccanica Italia, rear deck close to 275GTS or 330GTS. In FORZA magazine Dec. 2013 issue) they have a big story on it SN 12128 , at least three pages telling how Gibson bought it in 1987--which was far sighted indeed if it is recognized as a one off car, but like opinions on whether this is to be considered in the same light investment wise as the NART 365GTS Daytona designed by Michelotti (last known to be for sale in France by GTC). To be the 365GTS in France might be worth more since it has a racing history (though I think it got aced out of running at LeMans due to a fight over a 308GT4 being allowed in from the same team) plus it has the SN of a Daytona spyder and the fact it was designed by a well known entity, MIchelotti. At any rate, curious as to what Chinetti was pricing SN12128 at back in '87. Either it was an all time great bargain or taking one helluva chance compared to what else you could have bought back then...

2. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #2 miurasv, Nov 28, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2013
    AFAIK road cars have odd, not even numbers.

3. thepinkumbrella

thepinkumbrella F1 Veteran

Feb 26, 2006
    United Kingdom
    It is 12181.

Paul

4. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #4 miurasv, Nov 28, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    To my eyes a very nice looking car. Would look great parked next to the Nembo Spyder.

6. MRG22

MRG22 Formula Junior

Oct 19, 2010
    California
    Full Name:
    Mike Gulett
    #6 MRG22, Jan 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    Glenn Krasner says:
    December 9, 2013 at 8:20 pm

"Since Chinetti started with the 365 GT coupe, because it was cheaper and easier to buy, for the conversion to the for the 365 GT NART Spyder, I am curious to know what reinforcement was done to the frame and/or body, since cutting off the roof significantly reduces the structural rigidity and integrity of the car. Maybe I am idiot (opinions vary), but I would have preferred to buy the 365 GTS’ and converted them, for it would have involved not cutting off roofs and structurally reinforcing the cars. Glenn in the Bronx, NY."

My humble opinion is that, yes, I would like to know what reinforcements were made and yes, I agree if they had rebodied a 365GTS, the frame strengthening would already have been done. I am more interested in the timeline. When was the fire? Was it built during that period when the Chinettis were sending cars over to Italy to be rebodied, or after they had stopped? If it was built when they were still having the other Michelotti spyders built I would say it is "in period" as far as "Chinetti period" but if it was built decades later that pushed it more into "one man's custom". I don't recall ever seeing pictures of it in Road & Track in the '60s or '70s so I think it's a later custom.

Does anybody know what the car sold for before Gibson bought it. In one way, I think the value of this car hinges on how much 365GTCs are worth. When they all get to be a million dollars, it might be worth rebodying this car. Other Chinetti creations have been rebodied and nobody is mourning the loss of their "custom" body like the P250 that lived a short life as a gullwing car designed by clothing illustrator Bob Peak.

Carguy90 likes this.
  8. Carguy90

Carguy90 Rookie

Jun 13, 2023
    Full Name:
    Carguy90
    Great story about the car! Does anybody know where this car is at the moment? Has someone ever collected all the history?

I am enthusiastic about this car and I like the history behind it.

9. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    It was offered to me today by a broker in the northeast for $23,000,000 (and that's the discounted price).

Since there is not one thing on this car that is real, buyer(s) beware.

BHW

Attached Files:

10. RPM Ron

RPM Ron Rookie

Jul 10, 2020
    La Habra, CA. near Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ron Miller
    Hi, I have this car for sale right now. 1969 Ferrari VIN #12181..It only has 13k original kilometers on it.....I am in the So Cal. area (near Los Angeles). I have pics and video that I can email to you. Please call or email me if interested. I am only showing the car to people that are very serious. I know very little about Ferraris, I am an expert on early Mustangs.... thanks, Ron Miller714-757-8437 or [email protected]
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login