Harrison Ford Landed on the Taxiway at John Wayne | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Harrison Ford Landed on the Taxiway at John Wayne

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by arizonaitalian, Feb 14, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Oh, I do. Absolutely. This was not a big deal.

Now, most of us wouldn't end up having our dumb mistake splashed across the news media for days and being discussed on CNN around the world, that's also for sure.

If no one famous was involved, this would have been an "oops-- don't do that again" and that is how it should be.

2. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Maybe he promptly filed a NASA report

3. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I might be wrong but I don't see a big deal with this "near miss" thing. He wasn't that close to the airliner, the airliner isn't moving, everybody and everything was under control, the taxiway was clear, and he landed on it without hurting or damaging anything. He made a mistake, yes, but it wasn't a near disaster as the news media portrays it.

4. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    smart thing! I did that once and only messed up 1% what he did. Actually it was the ground controller messing up and ****ing with me remote airport along with a cargo pilot buddy of his hijacking the radio.

5. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    You guys really think landing on a taxiway is no big deal? Wow! It's not like this is the interwar period and airfields are uncontrolled and airmanship determines what is right based on current conditions. This dude was cleared to land on a specific runway and landed on a non-designated landing surface...you gotta be kidding me!

6. Manda racing

Manda racing Formula 3

Feb 25, 2015
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I had a 20,000 hr instructor who landed on a taxiway at Burbank and he vowed never to go back.

7. alexm

alexm F1 Veteran

Sep 6, 2004
    Coast up from Sydney
    Full Name:
    Alex
    #57 alexm, Apr 4, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
    Not wonderful.. but least he got the intended airport and wasn't in something big and heavy ;) unlike.. Cause of C-17 Landing at Too-Small Airport Revealed | Flying Magazine

No-one's perfect and sometimes mistakes do happen..

8. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    It's not great, but at least he didn't do it in a military aircraft with another pilot along... or an airliner... or land at the wrong airport entirely... or worse yet, land an airliner at the wrong airport entirely (with a 3 man crew), then take off and land again at the correct airport in order to "reposition to get closer to the terminal"-- I think that one ended up as a revocation.

Or taxi over a ground power unit in a 737, as an acquaintance of a friend of mine did... or taxi a 737 into a jetway, as a few different airlines used to do on a fairly regular basis.

Or line the entire flight of Blue Angels (or was it Thunderbirds?) up on the wrong runway...

JL350 likes this.
  9. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Common misconception. You will still get a letter in your file. If you knowingly screw up, the NARA report wont do squat to protect your ticket.

In this case, Im in the camp that hi filed a NASA report and probably got a strongly worded letter in his file.....along with a bunch of autographs and selfies with investigators to seal the deal.

10. jcurry

Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Agree. The link provided above with the FAA statement was coy regarding anything in his file.

11. OhioMark

OhioMark Formula Junior

Feb 16, 2006
    My great Aunt worked at Don Scott Field (Columbus) back in the 60's & 70's in a building at the end of the runway. They had to evacuate the building when an airliner was spotted on his final approach mistaking D.S.F. for Port Columbus, only able to fly it out once it was more than empty of the passengers, luggage and other weight saving items.

Manda racing likes this.
  12. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
  13. Manda racing

Manda racing Formula 3

Feb 25, 2015
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I thought I shared my Harrison Ford Cabo San Lucas stories— when we flew back commercial to LAX with a longtime Tower controller from there. :)

14. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-04-29/harrison-ford-again-under-faa-investigation-after-aircraft-incident-at-hawthorne-airport

The Federal Aviation Administration is investigating an aircraft incident at Hawthorne Airport last Friday involving actor Harrison Ford.

The FAA said in a statement that the “Star Wars” actor was piloting a plane that crossed a runway when another plane was trying to land.

The planes came within 3,600 feet of each other.

“The FAA is investigating an incident in which the pilot of an Aviat Husky taxied across the runway at Hawthorne Municipal Airport Friday afternoon while another aircraft was performing a touch-and-go landing,” the FAA said.

15. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Just googled, Ford is 77. After his liberal rants, I assumed he was becoming senile. I guess this is more proof. Yo have to know when to hang up dangerous activities before you kill someone else.

JLF, energy88 and NYC Fred like this.
  16. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Man... I just watch Indiana Jones and the last crusade on Sunday. I forgot how awesome those movies were

Jaguar36 likes this.
  17. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    At 77, one likely begins moving into this category. Too much multi-processing to handle fast and accurately.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    He should be able to afford to hire his own pilot.

19. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    He should blame it on the snake!

SV

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

20. jcurry

Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    FAIL

21. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    It wasn't his fault. It was the asphalt.

22. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Bob- More like AssFault.

Bob Parks likes this.
  23. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    Maybe he should do more self ingratiating seminars at AOPA on being a super pilot.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app