Harrison Ford Landed on the Taxiway at John Wayne | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Harrison Ford Landed on the Taxiway at John Wayne

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by arizonaitalian, Feb 14, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Bob- I just fly in my dreams now, except for airliners.

2. richardson michael

Aug 17, 2013
    brittany. france
    Full Name:
    michael richardson
    There are old pilots and there are bold pilots,but there are no old/bold pilots !

3. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    #28 toggie, Feb 23, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I was wondering if the airliner crossing in front of Harrison Ford's flight path added to the confusion.

If he is expecting side-by-side runways (20L and 20R) and he is thinking the 20L runway is the one on the right and the taxiway is 20L, then the crossing airliner would be blocking his view of the 20L runway numbers (that he thought were on the end of the taxiway).

It is still a pretty big screw-up for an experienced pilot to make though.

Plus, Runway 20R is twice as long as Runway 20L (5701 feet versus 2887 feet) and twice as wide (150 feet versus 75 feet), so he should have seen Runway 20R clearly from the air from quite a distance aas he approached the airport.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5XHHDvCPwc[/ame]

5. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    agree that his confusion of which runway to use is of greater concern than the proximity of other aircraft... he was landing at a very busy airport with many aircraft moving around

happened to see him make appearances on a few late night talk shows... he left, the impression that he was in a fog... (had his head where it doesn't shine )... his demeanor was less than crisp / slow... even if he was goofing around, made me wonder if he was all there

6. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    FAA may not have a chance to ground him. Calista hates his flying and after the crash she wanted to ground him then.

7. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Did he even land on the taxiway or on some sort of no-mans-land? I can't tell what that piece of concrete between the taxiway and 20L is...anyone know?

(refer to the pic in post #28 above)

8. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    In that thing with those wheels? Anywhere on more or less dry land would work.

9. Ky Fan

Ky Fan Karting

Mar 13, 2010
    Washington, DC

One also has to wonder whether CO may have been an issue.

10. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I have flown the Husky that a friend airline pilot owns and they are a great little airplane. He flies in the mountains with his and operates out of strips that are something like 560 ft. and 5340 ft. in altitude and he doesn't have the ridiculous tundra wheels on it. I wondered why Ford has those ugly things on his Husky.

11. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    Departed a runway in crosswinds. Can't remember if he flipped the plane or not.

12. sigar

sigar F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 30, 2005
    NorCal
    Again, I've been in KSNA lots of times. The taxiway is basically part of the ramp. It's a big mistake, not only because of the potential harm, but because I think it would be really difficult for a competent pilot to confuse the two.

13. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming

Did he land on the taxi way or on that "middle ground" between the taxi way and the runway? (See the pic above) is that even paved? It looks darker than the taxiway and has what to me anyways some funny hard to understand markings). To be clear, please don't interpret my questions as any attempt to defend his screwup. I'm just curious what that is and if that's where he landed.

14. RWP137

RWP137 Formula 3

Apr 29, 2013
    AZ
    Full Name:
    Rick
    My guess that the forward visability in that plane is crap on approach. Pair it with 70+ year old eyesight there you have it. Cut him some slack I say...we've all made mistakes. He should consider having a CFI with him from now on as a second set of eyes and $200 hamburger company.

15. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    He has a ranch in Wyoming or Montana. Maybe he uses it up there. It makes more sense up there than flying around LA.

16. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming

It's a couple of miles south of Jackson, WY. He keeps some of his planes and helicopter in Driggs, Idaho. The Husky factory is up there and I'm surprised he had that plane down in LA.

17. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

OK, found that one... Bonanza.

He was landing, got a large gust and departed the runway.

Very minor damage to the aircraft, I read.

Not trying to check you, just trying to find out.

18. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

I was trying to find a list of Ford's owned aircraft...

Only partial one I've found so far calls his Recruit as a Biplane and his Citation Sovereign as a 'turboprop'. It's sort of a 'Hollywood' look article.

I know he has a DH Beaver, several Cessnas... helicopter...

19. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I live near Kenmore Air and I often go down there and snoop around. It's a friendly place and I enjoy what they are doing on the Beaver hulks that they collect to refurbish. I was inspecting a very nice green and yellow Beaver that they were finishing and noticed that everything on it was spanking new, top of the line comm. and nav equip., and an engine with brand new jugs and what looked like a brand new prop. I asked where they got the unused jugs and they said ,"In boxes from all over the country." After looking at the rest of the plane all I could see was a ton of money and asked who the heck could afford all that and the answer, " Harrison Ford."

20. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Harrison Ford's passion for flying has seen him amass huge collection of aircraft | Daily Mail Online

Neat story here. For us old guys, says he was 52 when he took his first lesson.

I wonder who's maintaining his aircraft if this is correct. Loose engine apart causes engine to stop, improperly installed shoulder harness adds to injury.

Harrison Ford Plane Crash Was Caused by Loose Engine Part: Investigation

He sounds like a well grounded celebrity, something that is uncommon as some of you may have witnessed last night. Not I....

Harrison Ford and flying: A brief history

21. Ky Fan

Ky Fan Karting

Mar 13, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Looks like I was wrong about carbon monoxide poisoning

22. Manda racing

Manda racing Formula 3

Feb 25, 2015
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I like the one where he requested to land long at Cabo and then landed short and slowly taxied his taildragger the full 10,000 ft. causing controllers to turn airliner traffic.

As told to us(and a few more about him) by the Cabo Tower controller who sat with us on a flight to LAX. :)

23. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
  24. airborne

airborne Karting

Feb 19, 2013
    Northern VA
    Somehow, I don't think any of us would get that same outcome...