Harley Davidson...! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Harley Davidson...!

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by 134282, May 11, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. T.O. Dino

T.O. Dino Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2004
    Toronto Canada

I'll do it for you Uro. It's a Harley. It's ugly and dangerous... all at the same time.

NYC Fred likes this.
  2. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Great looking Hog! I have a Fat Boy with a turquoise and cream paint job that I love. Harleys are like Ferraris to the extent that neither brand offers the most high tech, neither are the fastest nor best handling in their respective classes, yet there is an experience one gets on a Harley and in a Ferrari that you just can't get on another bike or in another car. Like the moto goes, "...if you have to ask, you wouldn't understand..."

3. sjb509

sjb509 Guest

#28 sjb509, May 18, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    NYC Fred likes this.
  4. LMPDesigner

LMPDesigner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    Atlanta Georgia
    Frank,

If the "Harley Experience" is hand numbing vibration, bad brakes, poor handling, bad build qualilty and unreliability then I will keep my Ducati (bad build quality, unreliable, but very quick, good brakes, good handling, killer looks, Italian heritage) or my Yamaha R1 (Tops in speed, handling, reliability, good looks, low cost, but, yes, not the "mystique" of a "Harley".) or even my new MV Augusta F4 1000 (The best looking bike in the world-bar none-the sexiest bike in the world-bar none, more mystique than any bike ever built, save maybe a Vincent Black Shadow, unknown-but probably bad build quality and relaibility-but not as bad as a Harley.)

In the end you buy and ride what you like-but no way is a Harley experience anything like a Ferrari experience-leave that to the Ducati and MV folk.

I have asked, I do understand--its just I can't agree!!

Anyway enjoy your Harley--I will be the guy at a 60 degree lean angle passing you on the outside of the corner somewhere on the Suches loop, and I will be loving it-but you won't care and thats fine with me!

5. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I never said a Harley was fast and handled like a sports bike...they don't. I too have had a few fast bikes in my life, a Suzuki GS 1100 and GS750, a Kawasaki 900 and 750 H2 which were all very fast for their day. But, that was in my teens and early twenties and I enjoy the more relaxed experience of a Harley now. And, FYI Harleys, since the Evo are some of the most reliable bikes made with world class build quailty... better than anything from Italy I suspect...though I admit that I have never owned an Italian bike. I have had my 1992 Fat Boy since new and it has NEVER left me stranded . The only time it has failed to start was due to a bad battery. It doesn't leak and runs great...although it does vibrate more than jap bikes do...that too has got better with the newer rubber mounted engine models. By the way, I do love the way a MV Augusta looks and sounds and would buy one if they were a little more comfortable for my 48 year old body to ride.

6. T.O. Dino

T.O. Dino Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2004
    Toronto Canada

" better than anything from italy " hahahahahahahahaah....hahahahaaha. Hold on my side is hurting........hahahaha ....I needed a good laugh today .

Thank you
    Ron

7. sjb509

sjb509 Guest

It is 85 degrees and not a cloud in the sky today. I can't think of many things more enjoyable than going for a ride...even on a Harley.

I'm glad H-D exists, even though I doubt I'll ever own one. Different strokes for different folks.

They have dramatically improved build quality in the last 15-20 years, but there was nowhere to go but up after the AMF dark ages.

8. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    The build quality is good, the reliability is great, the brakes do suck and so does the handling. The vibration is easy to get rid of and Harley knows it but I guess the buyers like it so they keep it. Bottom line, they sell the ***** out of them so I guess they aren't doing everything wrong.

9. LMPDesigner

LMPDesigner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    Atlanta Georgia
    I guess you either are or your are not. And I am not. It's not that I can't see that the Harley fills a need/desire-it's just that as a piece of mechanical engineering-they are just awful. From a style point of view-well that is in the eye of the beholder. What I love others find ugly-no problem.

What bugs me is the sanctimonious attitude you get from some (A small lot) of Harley owners. There behavior ruins it for the whole group. A remember stopping on at a roadhouse and saw a "nice looking" Harley outside. (I was on my R1)

Went inside and saw a guy who looked like the Harley owner, sat down next to him, said hi and asked if it was his bike outside. He said yes-I said it was very nice looking and that I rode also, and was on my Yamaha R1 today. Well he turned and looked at me and said "Well that's your f**cking problem, then isn't it?"

All too often that is the kind of response you get. Now Frank-I know you a bit and please-I am not suggesting you are like this-indeed- you are a true gentleman and enthusiast-period, but it just makes it so easy to dislike the whole "Harley crowd".

PS-The guy left and I left 10 minutes later-caught up to him out of Helen, GA.
    Saw him in front of me, so bad boy that I am-I waited till a nice long fast sweeper-pulled up inside of him, real tight and close, and just let my bike drift to the outside of the turn-forcing him outward as I went. Not very nice, but he panicked like a wanker rider and went way wide in the turn and then shut it down. Like I said-not very nice and only makes me a bit of a hypocrite, but he so deserved it!!

10. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    I'm suprised (maybe i shouldn't be) that there is so much divisiveness between riders of different brands. I "get" the Harley thing, i ride with those guys sometimes (I have a V-Rod which, among Harley cognoscenti, is not considered a 'real Harley' even though it shares some of the traditional attributes including bad brakes), and ride with others, too. There is an attitude about Harley and Harley clones that is more than simply brand loyalty- it does border on disdain for anything non-Harley, even though there are many, many more interesting, better engineered, better looking bikes. It is an interesting reflection of the "mystique" thing that alot of Ferrari people have no problem using, when justifying their favorite little red cars from Italy (although, honestly, I think the Ferrari experience is on a whole different level).
    As to the ultimate classic, i'd love to have a Brough 100, an Indian 4 and yeah, throw in a Vincent. Have no idea how any of them ride, but it can't be much worse than alot of the S & S Twin -based bikes I see everyday.

Postscript: On the subject of "it's not meant to be a crotch rocket," i think, as i said earlier in this thread, that's a red herring that doesn't really address Harley's inadequacies. As a business matter, i grant you that the company would probably be insane to change the formula given what loyalists look for. But, my experience in the last couple weeks with a big Moto Guzzi tells me a large bike can still handle, corner, stop and be comfortable. I trust the same is true of other bikes, including the BMW's, which i have not yet had the pleasure of riding. (Their newest offerings look great- both the sportsbike, and the "street" fighter/urban/touring version).

11. Ershank

Ershank Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Jason Z
    It doesn't matter what you ride as long as you do...

But Harleys are the bottom of the barrel motorcycles. They are inferior in almost every way, except for the way in which they make the rider feel like a "badass".

If you want a real cruiser, get a jap cruiser. Looks better, better build quality, more power, more reliable, majority handle better....

But then you couldn't tell everyone "ya got a Hardley", and you couldn't walk around in your wife beater drinking some "Bud" from that Harley can holder with your Harley Tshirt and Du-rag, leaning against your pickup truck with that Harley sticker signifying to everyone on the road that you're a "real man".

Harley Davidson is a GREAT company. They're extremely successful and they are marketing GENIUSES. Too bad they sell "the harley lifestyle" instead of decent bikes.

12. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat

Believe me, the BMW RT can handle.

13. robert biscan

robert biscan F1 Veteran

Jan 17, 2003
    Nashville and Palm b
    Full Name:
    robert s biscan
    I say the same thing. In a way they are similiar. I did own a ducatti 916 for 3 years and other off brands. All the bikes have good and bad. Resale on a HD is a good point. Check out the depreciation on a duck.

14. T.O. Dino

T.O. Dino Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2004
    Toronto Canada

I never base what I ride on how much I will make in the end . If that's the case I would be riding an old GPZ or GS etc......buy it for a $1000 and sell it for a $1000 two years later.

15. robert biscan

robert biscan F1 Veteran

Jan 17, 2003
    Nashville and Palm b
    Full Name:
    robert s biscan
    It is a good feeling when you trade or sell your bike not to take a big hit. I'm not saying that is the reason to buy HD but it is a good thing as I stated.

16. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Yea, my 92 Fatboy is worth more now than I paid for it new in 1992.

17. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Americas Team Headquarters
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Bought three bikes this last year.... A Ducati Diavel, A MV Agusta Brutale and a CVO Softtail Deluxe Harley. The Harley had better build quality, rode better and was more comfortable. I also own a Speciale which means I usually fall into the "Italian is better" crowd but, sorry guys... only the Harley remains. Couldn't wait to get rid of the always breaking Ducati and MV Agustas....

18. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    Holy ****. Talk about bringing a thread back from the dead!!!

:D

Mark

19. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Americas Team Headquarters
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Lol - what the hell, why not?

20. FerrariF50lover

FerrariF50lover Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nate
    Diavel is not a great bike. Its ugly to look at and not nice to ride. I will stick with the Vrod of the Diavel for a muscle cruiser.

21. kurtflies12

kurtflies12 Karting

Aug 13, 2015
    Tx
    #46 kurtflies12, Oct 5, 2015
  22. kurtflies12

kurtflies12 Karting

Aug 13, 2015
    Tx
    Hey DMark
    Is that a Mustang or a CJ in your pic?

23. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    #48 GuyIncognito, Jan 27, 2016
  24. Dave.0

Dave.0 Karting

Jan 3, 2015
    Sedona, Dallas
    That looks like a fun bike. Nice color scheme too. Enjoy.

25. NORTY

NORTY Formula Junior

Aug 15, 2008
    CARLSBAD, CA, USA,
    Full Name:
    NORTY
    Traded my old SuperGlide with half a million miles on it for a 2016 Dyna "Low." Sure is nice to have fuel injecton.