Hardwired Battery Tender 5 dollars! | FerrariChat

Hardwired Battery Tender 5 dollars!

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by fatbillybob, Jul 11, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    #1 fatbillybob, Jul 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    #2 fatbillybob, Jul 11, 2009
    So here is my low buck better way on a 550 but it works on any power sucking Ferrari. The charger I used was on sale for $3.99 at Harbor Freight and tool. They are cheap and may eventually die but they are only 5 bucks. For one Ferrari OEM one you can buy 160 of the harbor freight ones. You can see I wired the HF unit right to the battery terminals and used two side velcro to stick the automatic float electronics right on the battery cover. This unit weights about 2 ounces! The I run a connector ($1.79) up to the windscreen. So far at 120mph it does not flop out. I then keep the powerpack in the garage plugged into the outlet. I just plug in when car is in garage and unplug when I go for a drive. There are a ton of good ways to do this but most will think this is a pretty good way and you won't beat the price. I have used this particular unit for about 6 months now and use them on my current and pass racecar and trailer battery. It is nice to have a dedicated tender for all your toys instead of dragging around a big shumacher tender which is unquestionably one of the best available but weight a ton.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #3 tazandjan, Jul 12, 2009
    FBB- The photo you showed is for an accessory CTEK battery tender that is actually quite small and light weight. I use one on my car. The factory fitted Zivan, however, is a real beast and weighs quite a bit more. It is similar to the red one in this photo.

Very ingenious use of the tender and a bargain compared to CTEKs at $69.95 without Ferrari badging or $300-500 for the Zivan unit and Schedoni case.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

4. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    CTEK tender works very well. So does the other "battery tender" one in the metal case w/ green logo. Either way, nicely done.

The ferrari markups are absolutely retarded. I love the nissan brake pad thing that Redsirish discovered.

5. Jettafanatic

Jettafanatic Karting

Nov 8, 2008
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    Claudio
    He he he..... I have been using a Modified Schumacher myself to keep the battery up.... Similar set-up to FBB :)

6. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    good work FBB

7. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    I did something similar with a Yuasa battery charger for my kids kart. Hardwired to my battery, just plug it in when I get home. Works great.

I was thinking about trying it with the HF model if it ever goes bad on me. Thanks for the tips, fatbillybob!

Dom

8. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #8 synchro, Jul 30, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2009
    Have been using these same Harbor Freight units for 3 years with great results but "upgraded" to the Pacific Battery systems batteryminder which has a nice LED display and alleged "de-sulphation mode". Unplugged the Harbor Freight units on my cars and one-by-one plugged the batteryminder into each battery. All showed fully charged and had no loss of cell fluid so the Harbor freight units have been doing their job well.

9. h00kem

h00kem Guest

Dec 15, 2004
    Texas
    Nice work. While I am a fan of Harbor Freight for "cheap tools" I don't think I would put a cheap battery tender on my Ferrari. I agree with you about the Ferrari tenders...crap. I don't use the Ferrari tenders that came with my cars. Personally I am a Deltran Battery Tender Plus man. The last thing I want is a cheap tender catching fire and buring up my garage and Ferrari. While a Deltran Battery Tender costs a little more I think it may be worth it. Just my 2 cents.

wbklink likes this.
  10. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
  11. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I did not know the others existed and they look bigger and heavier. The one I used is about 2oz. and the charger guts are a wall transformer. Only the bridge rectifier (4 diodes and a few resisitors) resides in the car. I know my car is 3000+lbs but I don't like adding to it. Everytime someone talks about getting 20hp from xyz modification I just say take some weight out. I had a 348 racecar that was so light I ate 355Challenge cars for lunch and spooked some 360's too.

F456M likes this.
  12. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
  13. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    Carl

Does the LED ever turn green?

The one I purchased stayed red always.

14. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    correct red only because it is a float charger with internal sensing circuit. I am still working on remotes by the way. I need the euro ones.

15. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    FBB:
    thanks

when it get hot in there, thinking velcro will fall....still like the idea and cost...use HF for a lot of one-offs.

16. wbklink

wbklink F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bill Karp
    Love my Deltran Battery Tender Plus...10+ years old perfect... Tech hard wired plug to batt got Deltran extension cord $12 :)

Skippr1999 likes this.
  17. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Smart upgrade.

i am used to electronic chargers and they seem to discharge the battery if not connected to the power outlet... In my car I have therefore made a contact in the grill so I can just plug the charger into that. Instead of opening up the hood. Then there is no smal current draw when the car is not connected to «shore power». And with my two batteries, I feel I have solved all the problems in the world. :)