"Hard reset" | FerrariChat

"Hard reset"

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by arkferrari, Apr 25, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. arkferrari

arkferrari Karting
    BANNED

Feb 9, 2004
    Hot Springs, AR
    Full Name:
    B.F. Mitchell
    Long story short, I have attempted to clear CEL and SDL with steps recommended by F-Chat members without success. Multiple attempts being unsuccessful leads me to believe the warning lights are a result of "hard sets" within the ECU/CAN systems. My 99 456M GTA performs flawlessly and I believe these lights are a false communication. The ONLY attempt to erase the "Hard sets" that I have not tried involve (1) disconnect + and - leads (2) using 12V test light, "drain" any charge remaining in both leads (3) touch the + and - leads together (4) reattach leads to battery (5) fingers crossed and prayer. Has anyone attempted this with success? Am I risking any permanent damage?

2. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    The SDL is a serious issue to be fixed especially if you still have a Cat converter. If not, then ignore it.

But, if you still have a Cat converter, then you want to figure out why it is throwing a SDL. There are several causes:

1. Bad thermal couple
    2. Bad TCU
    3. Bad ECU
    4. Badly running engine causing fuel burning in the cat (which means the TCU and Thermal couple are working correctly and they are telling you something is wrong)

Doing a hard reset without solving the underlying problem is not going to make it run better or the problem to go away.

f355spider likes this.
  3. arkferrari

arkferrari Karting
    BANNED

Feb 9, 2004
    Hot Springs, AR
    Full Name:
    B.F. Mitchell
    No Cats. I have been ignoring it but it is so annoying.

4. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Well, there is nothing to do but to faking out the SDL by feeding 1.5V to the TCUs. Somewhere in fchat is a circuit to do that.