Harassed | FerrariChat

Harassed

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Bob Parks, Aug 22, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I'm not sure if I should open the subject, but for the past several months I have been enthusiastically pressured by numerous people to narrate an audio book of my previously printed endeavor. I didn't think that it would be worth the time and effort because of what I thought would be the limited market, like the vision impaired. I was quickly corrected, however, and reminded that there are walkers, drivers, and multitaskers, etc. So, I'm almost convinced. It's something that I haven't tried yet and it might be some fun. Any thoughts?

2. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    It might be a good idea, but you don't have to be the one doing the narrating, because that's a lot of work! It would be up to the producer of the audio book to suggest an alternate speaker, though I think ultimately the choice as to whether to use one should be up to you.

Texas Forever and energy88 like this.
  3. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    A friend of mine who is an aspiring author had his book published and also hired a professional voice guy to do the audio book. My recollection is that it cost him about $2,500 for the audio book to get made and published on Amazon. He knew it might not make money but he really wanted to have that Amazon author page with the regular and audio book available. He’s a funny guy, really geeky Air Force JAG/Attorney who writes Zombie Apocalypse novels set in Italy.

My review is the second one...

https://www.amazon.com/Omega-Plague-Collapse-dp-B018RG5F0I/dp/B018RG5F0I/ref=mt_other?_encoding=UTF8&me=&qid=1598150683

Depending on how tech savvy you want to be or if you know someone there are decent USB microphones pretty cheap. The biggest piece of work in my mind would really be editing it and putting it together and getting it set up on Amazon or whatever. There is something cool about books read by the author, particularly something like this. It would certainly be something neat for family members.

Texas Forever likes this.
  4. IAAI

IAAI Rookie

Apr 28, 2018
    Hollywood FL
    Full Name:
    Herb Weinberg
    I bought your book in paperback although I am an ardent amazon digital reader. The subject was so similar to my life experience that I wanted to read it with book in hand. At 85 I wouldn't want ti read to me. My thoughts for whatever they are worth.

Texas Forever likes this.
  5. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    That's funny.... Software engineer / inventor / tinkerer who writes Zombie Apocalypse novels set in Memphis. Lots of aviation elements and flying.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PFLQ1W3

I thought about doing an audio book. After talking to people who consume such things, it was stressed that the speaker should be professional as author narrated books are usually boring and hard to listen to. I don't use audio books so I really am in the dark as to the real story.

6. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    Bob - regarding demand and audience for your book. As others have shared with you... today's smart phones are basically pocket transistor radios that can tune into any program someone wants at any time. There is a large market for aviation content.

I dont watch TV anymore, but I do listen to least 20 hours of audiobooks or podcasts per week. Usually at least 25% of that is aviation related.

To paraphrase James Earl Jones in Field of Dreams... If you record it, they will listen.

7. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Thanks, I have appreciated the comments from everyone. The most enthusiastic support to make an audio came from a producer person in Hollywood that read the book . They are also aviation and history oriented. I also have an offer to edit it and I have the loan of some equipment. Since I'm not boring (I have been told) and I have never done anything like this, I am going to try it. I have had a lot of support from my family, probably to keep me out of the way. I think that I can make some fun with it, too, and noting to lose.

8. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Bob- Your relatives will really appreciate you doing this. There was a huge effort to record interviews with WW-II veterans recently, and yours should be even better because you know the questions and the answers.

9. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Bob-- I think this is a great idea!

10. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    Yes Bob, vocal recordings (oral books, podcasts, Youtube) are the thing. People (friends, family, general public) would all benefit from hearing you. Not hard to get going, you got a camera and/or a mic hooked up to your computer?

-F

11. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Thank you very much. I have been given the use of a recording booth and enthusiastic support by a lady who is in the business in Hollywood. Everything is set up and I am going to download a recording program suggested by her and make some test runs to check mic operation to make sure that I don't sound like a cracker out of the Okeefenokee Swamp. " Take off" is imminent. I know that it is going to take some work but I have never done anything like this so I'm going to give it a go even at 94. What the heck, I did my book when I was 90 and I didn't mess that up too much. I have the offer of free editing so there is no reason not to do it. After all, I'm a high school grad-you-ate.

donv, tritone and Jaguar36 like this.
  12. islerodreaming

islerodreaming Formula 3

Aug 11, 2007
    Full Name:
    John - a proud Australian man
    Bob, I thought your book was excellent but to be able to hear it in your own voice would just add so much more depth, make it a really special experience for those of us who marvel at your experiences that you choose to share with us. I look forward to it.

John

NYC Fred and tritone like this.
  13. DonB

DonB Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Don Bartz
    Hi Bob..

Well I bought your book. A new copy I might add, and I absolutely thoroughly enjoyed reading it! Although you’ve got almost 30 years on me, I could still relate to a lot of things you talked about.

In the early 1930’s my Grandfather bought Zane Grey, the western author’s horse ranch at the base of the Mogollon Rim just north of Payson, Arizona. It had a log cabin, wood stove, and yes, an outhouse. When we’d stay at the ranch, I can remember as a little kid taking a bath in a wash tub, and trips to the outhouse at night with a kerosene lantern. Our water came from a well in the front yard. And I can remember for the longest time my Grandmother using a huge wood burning stove at their residence. Terrific memories to recall!

I pictured your adventures as a kid and could, as probably so many can, remember similar experiences. I can remember riding our bicycles to Falcon Field in Mesa, Arizona to climb around on a B-23 Dragon, a B-18 Bolo, and watch the guy that owned the flying service there fly his P-51. I ultimately got my Private license there years later.

I related to your stories from basic Training too. When I went through Lackland, Air Force Base we were billeted in two story barracks that were built in 1941. This was in November and December, and although the day may have started at 80 degrees by night fall it could be 40 degrees and rain! And of course the building had no heat! I also remember coming home in a Boeing KC-97 from the Arizona Air Guard. What an experience.

Your stories from WWII and the training that went on in Florida, reminded me of stories that my folks would tell about when my dad was in Cadets and advanced training. He was at Tarrant field in Fort Worth in B-24’s and ended up in B-25’s in the Pacific. And like you, I’ve even had the experience of riding in the tail gunners’ position of a B-17, the Sentimental Journey.

Your stories about your time at Boeing and the 720 struck a chord. My brother, as a new hire with Western Airlines, was a “Plumber” on the 720. I got to do a “Walk Around” with him one morning while he was on a Lay Over in Phoenix. Try that today! Years later as a “Plumber” myself on the 727 for Eastern Airlines, one finally knew what phrase “If ain’t Boeing, I ain’t going” meant.

And holy cow you even worked on the 777! I retired off that airplane and now they’re being scrapped. Can you believe it?

Thanks so much for writing your book and helping spark so many great memories, it was a great trip.

Audio book..hell yeah!

Bisonte and islerodreaming like this.