Hang Up Your Helmet | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Hang Up Your Helmet

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by msdesignltd, Dec 24, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. robert biscan

robert biscan F1 Veteran

Jan 17, 2003
    Nashville and Palm b
    Full Name:
    robert s biscan
    I have nearly hit so many deer. It is my biggest fear. It is a likely scenerio here in tn.

2. andrewecd

andrewecd Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2006
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Absolutely!
    I hit a kangaroo...and killed it. Luckily (for me) it brained itself on my left footpeg. a millisecond earlier it would have got the front wheel.
    Wildlife is such an unctrollable element. Have run over rabbit, possum and nearly a wombat and various wallabies in the 430. The wombat is like a chunk of concrete so glad I swerved to miss that one.
    The joys of the Aussie bush...!!

3. robert biscan

robert biscan F1 Veteran

Jan 17, 2003
    Nashville and Palm b
    Full Name:
    robert s biscan
    Went to Sydney about 10 years ago. Not many bikers but with a few bike builders getting on tv here I guess it's getting bigger. I wonder how common it is to hit a kangaroo?

4. muk_yan_jong

muk_yan_jong Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2008
    Full Name:
    Brian McK
    I have to admit. As much as I did exactly what the OP was trying to describe, reading about riding passions again has brought back the itch.

2015 will see scratchin' it again. Going electric since (for once) VA has some really nice incentives.

5. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I've fracture my collar bone, neck and wrist in the last 45 years of riding dirt and street bikes; all my injuries have occurred on dirt bikes. I still ride both street and dirt. More people die in bathtub accidents per year, but I still bath.

6. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    With people more transfixed on their gadgets in the cars and phones, riding a bike now is playing with fire. I got rid of my ducati for that very reason. You really start to realize how many bad drivers are on the road when you ride a bike.

7. carcommander

carcommander Formula 3

Sep 28, 2006
    Southeast
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Calculated risks are fun. More skill = less risk. I have ridden all over the United States and a lot of Europe. Enjoyed every minute. All the gear all the time, lots of education and lots of intensity while riding. Without any risk life is no fun. Everyone is entitled to their own risk threshold.

If you have a tendency to lose concentration when you ride motorcycles, scuba dive or snow ski you probably don't need to be doing it.

8. Protouring442

Protouring442 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    Harriman, TN
    Full Name:
    One Stupid SOB
    Indeed. I've learned a lot from reading (and putting into practice) Lawrence Grodsky's old articles.

9. H&K

H&K Rookie

Feb 6, 2009
    Former motorcyle road racer and now dad, my boys 16 & 13 raced karts since age 4. Now they want to road race bikes.

Makes me proud. When they were younger if they aced a test at school, they rode to school on the back of my sport bike. From 1st grade on. The minivan & SUV parents at the school drop off line just had a shocked look.

Cages are fun, but a fast bike makes you feel alive.

10. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir

It is just like a video game. The drivers in the cars will never see you coming. I would need a lot more separation from the cars. At night, on the freeway, it is kewl, to see a bike ride on one wheel at hi speeds and change lanes. The cars have no idea what the heck it is.

The adrenalin of hi speed and the engine sound at 10 Grand+ :) He can't catch the Busa :D

11. NORTY

NORTY Formula Junior

Aug 15, 2008
    CARLSBAD, CA, USA,
    Full Name:
    NORTY
    I ride on the street still. Have been since 1976, when I took and passed the DMV test. Driver's lack of attention is a concern.

Every week, I help graduate 72 newly licensed riders as I'm an MSF certified Ridercoach.

Some know how to ride. Some don't know how to ride. Some are delusional is their riding skills. Some are there because of court order. Some refuse to accept any instruction. Those are the one's who can't do the dreaded MSF "Box."
    Some are so enthusiastic when they graduate, they tell their friends/spouses of their experience, and I get to facilitate their friends/spouses at a later date.

There has been a HUGE shake up in California, regarding MSF. There's a new gun in town (State) named Lee Parks. We'll see how the new regime takes over...

12. 99_Carrera

99_Carrera Formula 3

Nov 2, 2010
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Sooooo true.

Way too many blind corners at 200+, imho. If they had continuous dispatch with a heli, I could wrap my head around it a little better.

That Busa rider can hit corners better than most 650 riders.

Nothing quite like adrenaline provocation. :)

13. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Sold my Paso, then bought a 998, sold that to get into a Gt3. One day, a Panigale will be in the garage, as work of art. I don't ride much anymore.

14. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #89 Wade, May 8, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  15. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    wish you could have it or wish you weren't selling it? I'm not clear which way it's going.

16. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Yes, wish I could have it. I sold my perfect very low mileage S4Rs last year because my area isn't suited for riding (i.e. no fun).

17. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    Oh that's right! I knew I connected the name to an RS now that my brain is in gear. My s4rs, wife's modded m620 pseudo track bike, my 750/900ss track bike, and the ken don trailer all go this summer as soon as I have time to list them. Using money on a pair of small dinghies like sunfish or Aeros.

18. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    #93 Statler, May 8, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  19. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Very cool. My wife rode as well but at the time I had a 1098S and hers was a Suzuki Savage 650. Good times. :)

The S4RS is such a phenomenal bike, I wish I could have kept it till eternity.

20. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    The big debate is whether to keep mine or not. We would get a custom aluminum tank done and make it even more cafe racer. It's quite a rare beast and sooooo much fun to ride. But as much as I ranted against this thread, is there a time when wheelies, stoppies, and burnouts are just no longer on the list?

Wife and I will do track days again, but we can rent track specific bikes for that. Do I want to own the cool rs to use or just to know I have one? I honestly would trade 130 mph on-ramp speeds and wheelies for racing my daughter in a pair of sunfish on the river any Sunday.

The sound of a Duc twin at 11k is something I am very happy and lucky to have experienced often in my life.

21. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    Going through the same circular thought process again.
    1. I never use them, wasted in the garage.
    2. Should just sell them all and switch to four wheels.
    3. But if I sell them what if I really miss having the chance whenever I want to ride?
    4. So just sell all but one, keep it just in case.
    5. But if I have one, the danger is still there, may as well keep them all.
    6. I should really go for a ride today.
    7. Got to go to Home Depot. Have to wear nicer clothes to work. Interstate is boring anyway. Can't spare a few hours on the weekend with all the honeydo list. an on....
    8. See #1 above.

22. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Such is the world we live in. :(

Add "weather is too hot" to number #7 (I always wear the right gear plus a full face helmet).

23. muk_yan_jong

muk_yan_jong Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2008
    Full Name:
    Brian McK
    Yep. My S2R1K (sniff...) with a Quat D and a cut airbox was a deep symphony. WOT was 360deg groaning thunder.

24. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    Yes a real complaint on a sportbike without luggage anyway is that there are very few days where it is warm enough in the morning to usea mesh jacket or cool enough in the afternoon (but not cold in the morning) where a conventional jacket doesn't roast you alive.

My commute is 50 miles of interstate each way. Not exciting. One day a year ago though I had to travel around for work stuff almost all day, paid to ride 300 miles that day, life wasn't so bad...

25. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Sold for $5,000.00. Well bought for sure.