Hang Up Your Helmet | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Hang Up Your Helmet

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by msdesignltd, Dec 24, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

this is understandable. but the bst's will beckon you:) garage art!!

2. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    I've ridden in sub freezing temps numerous times. If not dressed properly, it sucks hard. However, with a heavy, high neck leather jacket, heavy gloves, and heavy jeans, I'm fine unless I'm just cruising at highway temps for a long time....but then again, I ride a rather "warm" Duc.

:)

Mark

3. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

my 955 Daytona could be ridden in the cold...it threw off heat that could fry an egg. none of my dukes throw off much heat.

4. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    There is riding gear for any climate. A long trip is one thing but getting suited up like that for short hops just isn't worth it. You can stay warm and dry as a bone if dressed correctly.
    For 50 miles it isn't worth the trouble but for a 500 mile day you can stay warm and cozy.

5. muk_yan_jong

muk_yan_jong Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2008
    Full Name:
    Brian McK
    Ha! Yep. Didn't have to wear wind pants when on mine. Was nice. Until summer...

6. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    I still have my Busa.

I have four kids and a wife :).

7. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    No wonder you ride a two-wheeled death trap!

:D

Mark

8. sburke

sburke Formula 3

Dec 21, 2010
    Lake Norman, NC
    I buy a handful of bikes each season, then when it starts to get cold sell them all and consider myself lucky I didn't die. Rinse and repeat, do it every year. I love riding, and I'm very conservative on the street but have so many close calls with other drivers. I was just at the dealer looking at bikes yesterday, thought the Ducati scrambler was already out.....

9. F355steve

F355steve Formula 3

Apr 9, 2008
    Honolulu - Seattle - Okinawa
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I hung the helmet up in 2009 when I knew I found the women I was going to marry. For me the risk I was taking would now effect her life and I couldn't do it any more. The F355 replaced it less than a year later so that took a little of the sting out of it.

Nothing is like riding though. Fond memories.

10. FORZA 62

FORZA 62 Karting

Aug 22, 2007
    north east
    Full Name:
    Frank S
    to each his own
    40 years,its part of my life
    it's nothing new about the risks but for me the rewards are worth it.

11. 99_Carrera

99_Carrera Formula 3

Nov 2, 2010
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Gotta be a typo.... :D

Nothing like it in the world. I'm building my track hauler right now and will build my trailer next. I plan on spending half a year doing track days across the US.

I've lane split a few times and I'm guilty of riding on the shoulder in stopped traffic. I have to admit, the amount of angry drivers that try to swerve into you and kill you is quite alarming. So much anger!

Anyway, here's the craziest street video I've ever seen. Maybe this is the type the OP intended his rant for...

[ame]http://youtube.com/watch?v=-Gb0cNY3q9I[/ame]

12. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    #62 boxerman, Jan 6, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
    Ridden on and off since age 7, gaps seem to be not longer than 5 years. Cars are great, but nothing comes close to the directsness a bike, maybe waterskiing but at age 50 I can only slalom so much.

That all being said, immortality feeling is gone. I ride a lot less. Partialy its an awareness of the consequences, but more so its an awareness of the idiocy on the road. Seriously for most people a car is at best an appliance and an annoyance in that it takes time to get where they are going and distracts from texting, not good for those of us on bikes.
    Will autodrive cars one day make ridign much safer? will it be allowed?

So yeah I ride, but on quiet spring/fall weekends when it feels right, mostly on roads I know. Each time I do I am reminded why I love it so much. Apart from the riding experience motorcyles are just really cool machinary, and entertaining in their variance.

One big factor no one here seems to mention. Riding a bike keeps you sharp and alert, probably keeps you younger sgarter and more alert, staves off oltimers, so probably extends lives of those who dont crash..

NYC Fred likes this.
  13. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael

This Post quite sums up my intention in my original post..
    The risk of pain and suffering is not about you" The Rider" as most of you have boasted...me me me..
    it is the damage you can inflict on others by Death or disability.
    Wives and children who would take on your liability should you fail.
    We all know people who have lost limbs or paralyzed for life or death and what it means to family
    I NEVER SAID STOP RIDING to anyone..
    but consideratiion for others made me stop.

When You are dead, you no feel pain...Your loved ones feel it till their dieing day..
    Times have changed..Bikes have doubled their HP in a short time and drivers have become 1/2 as attentive and twice as numerous.

I miss my All Chrome V Rod, My CBX My Pacific Coast All My off road bikes and the Sunday mornings at Bear Mountain...
    But my Family would miss me alot more if I were gone.

14. Protouring442

Protouring442 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    Harriman, TN
    Full Name:
    One Stupid SOB
    So... you don't ride horses, do you? More dangerous than motorcycles, you know.

And you're never going to allow your children to learn to drive, right? Because inexperienced teen aged car drivers are more likely to be seriously injured or killed than licensed, non-drinking motorcycle riders.

Etc, etc, etc...

15. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Your family will miss you too as you age in senility from not challenging your brain and keeping sharp.

NYC Fred likes this.
  16. gurslo

gurslo Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Stop enjoying your motorcycles....die anyway.

On one hand, I totally get the meaning of the OP.
    On the other hand our time here isn't a practice run. The few things we find we enjoy NEED to be enjoyed while we can.

I have riden bikes and quads since I was 5. I've had so much fun doing it. I've crashed and hurt myself a few times. I've achieved multiple regional championships and loved every minute getting them. I no longer ride, at the moment, but miss it.

We can all get hurt when we least expect it. I ended up having back surgery due to a herniated disk shoveling snow. You never know, so all I can offer is try to enjoy what you enjoy, but be as safe as you can doing it.

17. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
    I came down the Palisades Pkwy in NJ one October/November afternoon watching the guy riding with me turning up the heat on his electric vest while I froze.

Bought one and wired it in the next day. Can get heated gloves, vest, jackets, socks, etc...they all daisychain together.

Keep the core warm, or do it all. (I have a beach house so my riding season was Spring/Fall for the most part)

Lets u cut down on layering and bulk, too. I will never be w/o this stuff again...LOL

Gerbing Thermovelocity Protection | Gerbing Thermovelocity Protection

18. FerrariF50lover

FerrariF50lover Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nate
    My dad is 56 and he water skies 5 nights a week. I don't want to hear any excuses lol

boxerman likes this.
  19. John B

John B Formula 3

May 27, 2003
    NJ
    I think the majority of horrible motorcycle injuries and fatalities are the result of riders making poor choices, but some are car drivers simply being unaware of riders. Here are a bunch of nasty motorcycle accidents (viewer beware). What portion could have been avoided by riding sensibly?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggQkd0o_7ZA

Ride sensibly and use your head, and certainly protect your head!

20. PRS Guitarist

PRS Guitarist Formula Junior

Oct 13, 2013
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    As I get older, (I'm 52) I have become acutely aware that more people than not are driving with their phone in their hand texting, reading, and talking. I have a 2007 FXDWG and I hate riding in the DC / Metro area because of this. I am well trained on a motor and ride very defensively but I limit my riding to back roads and weekends. I just don't want my life to end because someone is answering an "OMG" text. Not too much to ask.

boxerman likes this.
  21. muk_yan_jong

muk_yan_jong Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2008
    Full Name:
    Brian McK
    #71 muk_yan_jong, Jan 10, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
    Well put my man. NOVA's stress and pace are my #1 reason for tapering. Northern Neck, it's drunks in huge trucks, and two-lane roads through cornfields (no visibility through turns) was the finisher.

As horrible as it sounds, I really don't have any sympathy for those who stunt and trick in public without proper gear. I want no suffering for any of my fellow humans, but when you make that choice, you are off The Fate's strings.

I still deeply feel the pull and will leg over again when I can, but for now I'm glad to rebuild my flight or fight reserves.

22. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    MD has some fantastic roads for the weekends....and awful congestion during the week. When I was working in NOVA I rode to work once... that was enough. I save my CBR for the weekends.

23. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    That's just plain stupid. The person riding that bike is going so fast there would be no time to correct for possible obstacles or tire blow out, whatever.

One of my accidents happened at maybe 50 mph. I slid across the pavement wearing workout clothes (no leathers) and was nearly squashed by oncoming traffic. It sucked, but I rode again. At 100 mph or more, I'd be road pizza.

Ride like that on a track, but on public roads you are asking for trouble (see the video from the helmet cam from the guy killed in the UK...)

Stay safe!

24. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #74 msdesignltd, Jan 13, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2015
    I had rode my entire adult and teenage life..
    I never liked riding 2 up as the weight distribution just alters everything..

in 2004 on a brand new HD V Rod , I took my wife on her very first ride ever after extreme coaxing..
    Clear daylight no cars either direction on back roads of Bear mountains in Harriman NY.

45/50 MPH...nothing , no one nada in sight but clean clear skinny winding road. just takin it in..paradise at hand!

Until a 400lb. Buck decides to cross the road in front of me..
    Its still with me like a video in my mind...

Was able to brake and scrub of maybe 20 mph... but the hit was hard.

Thank God I hit broadside and clean between front and rear legs..
    Had it been glancing to the front or rear I / we probably would have gone down.
    The hit was like a shock to my system and broke the speed to a slow roll.
    the deer bent around the front of the bike and stuck. fenders bent sidelights broke and hair stuck on all extruding parts up front..I dont think he lived much longer but he was able to kick and scramble off the front of the bike and down an embankment into oblivion..

Do I have to tell you what condition my wife was in...we were not hurt...but the mental absorbtion of what just happened took about 10 minutes to set in..

Point of story...Circumstances are just as dangerous as bad drivers..
    If your time is up.....doesnt matter what your doing..

I'm lucky one 4 sure!

25. gurslo

gurslo Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Peter

Wow, that's scary for sure.