Hammi's Japanese Win under Investigation. | FerrariChat

Hammi's Japanese Win under Investigation.

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by Remy Zero, Oct 4, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Formula One officials are investigating Lewis Hamilton's victory in last weekend's Japanese Grand Prix, amid allegations that he engaged in improper driving, a FIA spokeswoman said Thursday.

Officials are reviewing video evidence suggesting that Hamilton's driving behind the safety car at the rain-lashed Fuji Speedway led to a crash that ended the race for Mark Webber and Sebastian Vettel.

"New evidence has been brought to the stewards' attention and they are currently looking into the matter," said the spokeswoman for the FIA, the sport's governing body.

"It would be inappropriate for us to comment any further at this particular stage, in particular as to what penalty, if any, might be imposed."

The British rookie leads the race for the world championship by 12 points, with two races left. But if found guilty of improper driving, his points from Japan could be erased or - more likely - he could face a grid position penalty in Shanghai. Hamilton was expected to meet with Formula One stewards on Friday.

The incident was missed by official TV coverage, but a clip posted on the YouTube video sharing website shows Hamilton slowing dramatically and veering to the right of the track just before Vettel rear-ended Webber.

Vettel has been penalised ten grid positions at the Chinese Grand Prix for his role in the crash, and Hamilton could expect a similar punishment if found to be in breach of Formula One safety car regulations.

Webber and Vettel have both since been critical of Hamilton's performance.

2. lucky_13_2002

lucky_13_2002 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 26, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Michael
    And on another thread someone was wandering why Bernie wants to pull all the clips from Youtube. Now we know why. I think that IF FOUND GUILTY 10 grid positions would be the least they should give him.
    Sending him to the back, like Schumi in Monaco, would be more appropriate. I personally would like them to revoke his points from the race. Not because I believe that it would be the most fair punishment, but simply because it would make the last two races that much more interesting. Then the season would be like the Fuji race. Total boredom until the last few laps.

3. Chaos

Chaos Formula 3

Sep 29, 2004
    Cardiff. UK
    Full Name:
    Nick.
    what a load of rubbish.

he simply took a different line through the corner than the SC - and HAD to brake to save going past it.

4. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    i actually don't see what Hammi did was wrong..

5. tazz99

tazz99 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 16, 2007
    Kennesaw, GA
    Full Name:
    Seth
    Whenever the safety car was out LH was brake checking the field. As I watched I wondered if he was trying to get whomever was behind him, Alonso in the beginning and Weber later to pass and incur a penalty. Or maybe cause Massa or Kimi to screw up and get a penalty of some sort.

6. Chaos

Chaos Formula 3

Sep 29, 2004
    Cardiff. UK
    Full Name:
    Nick.
    actually if you read the posts rather than glance at them you would be aware that Bernie et al seem to try and have ALL the current yrs clips pulled from youtube.

the Kubica accident disappeared quite quickly as i recall.

7. Chaos

Chaos Formula 3

Sep 29, 2004
    Cardiff. UK
    Full Name:
    Nick.
    sorry Brian i wasnt digging at you, just the thing you quoted.

8. Chaos

Chaos Formula 3

Sep 29, 2004
    Cardiff. UK
    Full Name:
    Nick.
    i. its the leading drivers perogative to control the snake

ii. LH has claimed he was trying to keep his brakes warm and not to glaze them (something to do with the pads fitted)

iii. LH has also claimed that he radio'd and asked for MW to be told not to get so close (or something like that)

9. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Google "copyright", read about it, then come back to this forum and rethink what you just said.

10. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    More political BS. :(

11. lucky_13_2002

lucky_13_2002 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 26, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Apparently sarcasm is not part of your vocabulary.
    To me this whole season is a big joke and I'll laugh at whatever else I can for the remaining port of it, because otherwise I feel like crying. The FIA has made total idiots out of them selfs this year, time and time again. The crying matter is that apparently we are even bigger idiots to keep up with their **** and continue pour $$$$ in their accounts.

12. Chaos

Chaos Formula 3

Sep 29, 2004
    Cardiff. UK
    Full Name:
    Nick.
    and your post wasnt in the slightest bit sarcastic.
    you made a point then went on a tirade - that isnt sarcasm

13. lucky_13_2002

lucky_13_2002 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 26, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Sorry, man it was meant to be. I don't have a major in english literature and speak the language from 12years ago. I also learned it on the streets not in school. I still think I am doing pretty good considering.

14. 355

355 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 4, 2005
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I say take all of Lewis's points from Japan. I didnt see the video and dont care because he must be guilty simply because his car is half McCheater. Viva la Ferrari!!:)

15. Brakefade

Brakefade Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Luis
    From Autosport:

"Formula One's regulations dictate that the race leader must keep a standard distance behind the safety car until the lap before it is due to come into the pits.

Article 40.10 of the F1 Sporting Regulations states: "The safety car shall be used at least until the leader is behind it and all remaining cars are lined up behind him. Once behind the safety car, the race leader must keep within 5 car lengths of it."

Can't say that no harm was done by his actions. He broke the rules and caused exactly what the rule was design to avoid. Brake pads were glazing? Too bad, that's your problem, not MW or SV. If you're equipment can't handle it you alone have to bare the burden. Either crash or quit. That's just one of the challenges of racing. You can't ask other drivers to "stay behind" because you want to have every advantage possible and keep your brakes up to temp, but more importantly you cannot put other drivers lives at risk because of it.

IMO he was doing this to force other drivers to stay behind. I don't buy that brakes glazing story. It was the same for everyone. If you can't race within the rules because your equipment isn't up to the challenge, you don't deserve to win.

16. Kami

Kami Formula Junior

Nov 28, 2006
    St. Louis
    I 100% agree with you, but I don't think Hamilton was intentionally doing anything wrong. Maybe just a lapse in judgement. And no, I am by no means a fan of Hamilton. I'd love to see him penalized. Just being fair.

17. Dipsomaniac

Dipsomaniac F1 Veteran

Mar 23, 2006
    Doha/Sydney
    Full Name:
    Derek K
    It's a tuff one .. was LH taking a different line around the corner and nothing more to it? was there a bit of gamesmanship involved, as always when the safety car is out? were the conditions more to blame for the accident than anything else? or did LH's actions directly contribute to the incident?

The video for me in inconclussive and it wudnt surprise me if the FIA came to the same conclussion, but then this is F1 and there have been howls of complaints (for me justifiably so) that a driver in a "suspect" car will win the WDC; so I'm not about to rule anything out (how's that for sitting on the fence). Either way this just adds to the sorry debarcle that this years championship has become.

Maybe they shud just cancel the season and say the lawyers won, and try again next year.

18. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    When they write the rules for F1, FIA, and Safety Car....do you think they were talking about a day with 4 inches of rain and standing water on the track?

Do you think the rules that says- "5 car lengths behind the Safety Car" was thinking about how exotic brake material reacts to driving through rivers of water?

I'd say that if you took this into consideration while writing the rules....then fine, but I don't think they did. So leave the racing to the guys on the track please.

19. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I do, but not necessarily this incident. LH was most definitely fncking with Alonso every safety car period to the point where Alonso was having to worry about the guy behind him.

Now when the safety car lights are out and racing is about to restart, yeah play the games but every other lap should be controlled. We need to remember the purpose of the safety car, ie: the track is dangerous or corner workers are clearing up a mess ... they do not need to be worrying about some *****head driver playing games while they are doing their job.

But LH will not be penalised ... :(
    Pete

20. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Mark,

Safety car means full course yellow that means NO RACING ...

Pete

21. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark

Yes....but that's the trick isn't it? There is that moment when the racing will start again.

How do you keep tire and brake temps up, when you are underwater? I don't think the rules were written for the amount of rain we saw and the newest exotic materials used in the brake disc.

I'm just saying, some common sense has to be factored in at some point.... it was a race underwater
    not a laywer in a court room with a slow motion camera second-guessing everything.

22. 1_can_dream

1_can_dream F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    I don't think he needs to be punished it wasn't his fault Vettel rammed into the back of Webber. But then again I don't really care this season is wasted anyways so let Bernie do what he wants to make his money and lets get to next season.

23. TopElement

TopElement Formula 3

May 14, 2005
    OC & Vegas
    Full Name:
    A Montoya
    Get over it. People are taking PRIVATE video, and posting it for no profit.

24. 505T

505T Formula Junior

Jan 26, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Highway code.....you are responsible for any accident if you are behind the person you hit.....your responsibility to regulate your speed regardless of what happens ahead of you. Hamilton's move shows that he was expecting someone to be careless from the rear...and he was right.

25. Brakefade

Brakefade Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Luis
    1. Yes they do. Rain is nothing new to this sport.

2. Doesn't matter. It was the same for everyone. I didn't see other drivers doing what Hamilton was doing. If the equipment can't handle the environment, then it's not up to the challenge. You can't expect the rule makers to adjust the rules because one team wants to use brake materials that don't work well in the rain. It doesn't work that way. In fact, it works exactly the other way around. The FIA lays down the Formula (the challenge), named "1", and the teams compete to see who can make the fastest car within that Formula. If a brake material glazes in the cold to the extent that it could cause total brake failure, then the FIA is 1,000,000 times more likely to ban that material than to change a rule.

Obviously Hamilton was on some super rare brake material that doesn't work well in the rain, and Mclaren made that choice of brake material despite setting up the rest of the car to a RAIN setting, or Hamilton is full of ****. I'll take the latter thank you very much.