Hamilton deserves more respect | Page 22 | FerrariChat

Hamilton deserves more respect

Discussion in 'F1' started by Natkingcolebasket69, Mar 28, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 355TDI

355TDI Karting

Feb 1, 2019
    London
    Full Name:
    Immat Wings
    So are you one of those people who won’t call Michael Jordan great because he had Scottie Pippen, Dennis Rodman and Phil Jackson as coach? Or Lionel Messi can’t be great because he only played for Barcelona and not for Stoke?

Great sports men and women end up playing for the best teams and the best coaches because they are the best. Simple.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

FERRARI-TECH and Terra like this.
  2. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    This comparison is not valid because in F1 the quality of the car is decisive in the result.
    To be more accurate it would be necessary to imagine Messi playing with four legs for eight years in a row while the others remain on two legs ..;)

Bas likes this.
  3. 355TDI

355TDI Karting

Feb 1, 2019
    London
    Full Name:
    Immat Wings
    I disagree it’s a perfectly valid comparison, no matter how good Messi is he is not winning all those trophies without great teammates, great coaches and a club with the finances required. But also Barcelona are not winning without Messi either, he makes that extra difference that no one else can. Both work together to achieve greatness.

Mercedes are the best F1 team but guess who’s part of that very team? Lewis Hamilton, like Messi he adds the extra percentage that keeps them ahead of everyone else.

It’s getting ridiculous the lengths people will go when it comes to Hamilton.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

4. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Ok fair enough- I totally understand what you are saying now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bas and Nortonious like this.
  5. Natkingcolebasket69

I also do agree with u but the point made by Jpalmito is Alamo valid : without Hamilton and say bottas is driving the car with russel it’s still a 1/2 Mercedes which makes it different.
    Because Barcelona doesn’t win without Messi, and Madrid without Ronaldo.
    That’s the main difference - Mercedes would still be WDC without Lewis although to me that doesn’t take away his greatness as a driver.

RobertJRB and jpalmito like this.
  6. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    You are comparing a collective sport involving 11 players physically present in the same team with an individual sport totally dependent on an external factor ( mechanical). No I do not see the relevance of this comparison, sorry.

7. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
    Prickly princess attitude? What are you on about?

william likes this.
  8. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas

Yep.

Once again the conversation has boiled down to that if you don't acknowledge Lewis as the GOAT you must be a hater, blind, a racist, or insert applicable. And then they wonder why people aren't exactly persuaded by that argument.

kes7u, stavura, Nortonious and 3 others like this.
  9. Patrick Dixon

Patrick Dixon Formula 3

Mar 27, 2012
    UK
    Yeah 'cos obviously there's no actual numbers that might back up his 'GOAT'ness - except for being champion in every category he raced, the 7 WC titles the 100 F1 poles, the 98 wins etc etc.

But if you don't accept facts then obviously you are definitely not a 'hater', 'blind' or 'racist'. If there is some other rational explanation, then please do enlighten us.

fer312t, ktu and william like this.
  10. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I could start by providing the factual numbers of time spend in cars % faster than the competition, but it would fall on absolute deaf ears. Not wasting my time again.

kes7u, jpalmito, fil and 2 others like this.
  11. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Indeed and Vettel’s record makes him a better driver than Prost in absolute?
    Frankly, if you’re happy with this reasoning, I’m happy either:).

Giallo 550, kes7u, fil and 2 others like this.
  12. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Slight correction Patrick, he was never champion in every category he raced....he came close to it though!

fil and Patrick Dixon like this.
  13. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    This thread is an absolute bore. Moving on, mates.

Nortonious, Bas and jpalmito like this.
  14. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet

We have the topics we deserve..;):p

RobertJRB and Nortonious like this.
  15. Natkingcolebasket69

He is a bit of a diva that loves attention one must admit. He is very Hollywood but this thread was about his driving skills NOT who he is really

Nortonious and Bas like this.
  16. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Lewis Hamilton says Formula 1 is a 'billionaire boys' club'

Lewis Hamilton says Formula 1 has become a "billionaire boys' club".

The seven-time champion told Spain's AS newspaper it would not be possible for him to break into the sport from his background if he tried to do so now.

"Growing up in a normal working class family, there is no way I could be here - the guys you are fighting against have that much more money," he said.

"We have to work to change that to make it more accessible, for the rich and for people with more humble origins."

The Mercedes driver was raised on a council estate in Stevenage in Hertfordshire, while his father Anthony worked several jobs to fund his junior career before he was picked up by McLaren and Mercedes aged 13.

They funded the rest of his career as he made his way through the ranks to F1.

Of the current grid, Canadians Lance Stroll, Nicholas Latifi and Russian Nikita Mazepin, who have all joined F1 in recent years, are the sons of billionaires.

And both Max Verstappen, Hamilton's title rival this year, and Mick Schumacher, who made his debut in 2021, are the sons of former F1 drivers.

Hamilton and Mercedes have set up a foundation to try to attract more people from an ethic minority background into motorsport, and he has set up commission to look into why minorities are under-represented.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/57189132

Natkingcolebasket69 and william like this.
  17. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Hmm. Lets test that theory. Lets see at the backgrounds of some recently new f1 drivers that weren't from a well off background.
    Ocon made it. His parents had some sort of local car garage and where far from rich.
    Albon's mum committed fraud and was in prison for some time, leaving Alex & co with very little money. When he couldn't continue on from F2 to F1 he signed for Formula E...he lived in a very modest terraced home (I believe rented), him taking care of his siblings with the little money he had.
    Leclerc may have lived in Monaco but his family where workers. His mother is a hairdresser and his father wasn't wealthy by any means.
    Pierre Gasly's family was involved in motorsport but not a rich one.
    Giovinazzi. His dad was in sales and from a modest background.

So yeah. Just because some F1 drivers come from seriously wealthy backgrounds, doesn't mean Lil Lewis couldn't make it into F1 today. Like just about all the above named drivers, Lewis got financial backing by showing to be talented. Lewis got a really good deal quite early on and from former classmates, he was regularly dropped off at school in various brand new Mercedes' cars.

18. Natkingcolebasket69

He is right. He was poor compared to the other guys. Not ghetto poor like he would like us to believe but not mazepin wealthy.

That has always been my problem with f1: access is too hard and costs ridiculous.

To me we only know who the best is from the privileged ones allowed to race.

See if you ask me fastest man on earth, it’s easy, it’s usain bolt. Everyone (or so) can run so if someone was faster it would be known or so...best driver? We can only assume based on the guys on tv that X,Y, or z is the best but only a selected few have this chance.

Bas likes this.
  19. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Few people are Mazepin wealthy. Even fewer have kids quick enough to control and race an F1 car. Racing has always been for people better off, but where do you draw the line? All Usain Bolt theoretically needed was a pair of new shoes and just run really fast. Who knows, maybe some kid in Kenya on shoes made from worn Goodyears leaves Usain in the dust...but no one can see his talents because his school can't find a way for him to do running on an olympic stage (I've no idea about Bolt's back story). I think with the vast majority of sports' winners, luck has at least partially played it's part. It must have taken a degree of luck for the right people to see the sport person do whatever they're good at at a certain point, step forward and introduce this person to the right people, or get involved with the right training.

The most amazing driver on the planet for all we know is driving a tuk tuk in new delhi:p

It would be nice to at least control the cost of racing early on. Have you see what a season of top karting costs?! It's absolutely ridiculous. I think that's a good place to start...but then how in the hell do you police such things.

Nortonious and jpalmito like this.
  20. Giallo 550

Giallo 550 Formula 3

May 25, 2019
    NY
    Full Name:
    Jim
    He's driving a Mustang in New York just like Gilles did in Canada. ;)

furoni, Jeronimo GTO and Bas like this.
  21. Natkingcolebasket69

Going back to my original post as much as I think his driving deserves respect but his spoiled attitude today bashing the team without bashing it out loud was uncalled for imo. Yes the car wasn’t the best but he wasn’t either in quali. It’s not okay to take much of the credit but not the blame.

NeuroBeaker, JJ, 375+ and 7 others like this.
  22. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet

This !
    It’s funny how his true nature emerges at the first opportunity.
    Schumacher would never have allowed himself such a thing.

JJ, Jeronimo GTO and Bas like this.
  23. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    +1 Bottas showed the car wasn't slow.
    Schumacher was very smart. When he had an issue in the team he wouldn't use the press to fight his battles. He called for a meeting and instead of pointing fingers, he would try and find a way how to improve on it. Seek out the root of the problem and then rectify it.

fil and jpalmito like this.
  24. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Whatever Hamilton is supposed to say doesn't matter; it's media talk. Mercedes certainly didn't recruit him for his narative.

If he is awkward at times, loses his temper or becomes very demanding to his team, that's not important.

Highly talented individual can be difficult to work with, because they set the bar quite high.

Mercedes certanly values Hamilton for what he has delivered all through his career with them, and that's what is all important.

There are probably plenty of nice guys, who don't achieve anything compared to Hamilton.

25. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Elton is crap..pardon me, sir crapilton...

Nortonious likes this.