Halo 2017 | Page 16 | FerrariChat

Halo 2017

Discussion in 'F1' started by Kiwi Nick, May 28, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    It's clear that Alonso's car did come crashing down on the cockpit area of LeClerc's Sauber. So, yeah . . . .

G. Pepper likes this.
  2. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    That doesn't even get into the fact that the enemies artillery are aimed directly at it!

G. Pepper and william like this.
  3. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    AND The halo deflected the tire up and to the front...remember that the Sauber was not standing at that moment but still driving so the whole car and that also includes Leclerc´s head were moving TOWARDS the tire. So there is still a good chance that he would have hit the tire with his head without the halo changing its direction....
    The halo might be ugly but I guess Leclerc is not against it anymore since this weekend!

4. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Neither is his mother. She was quite relieved to here from him and that he was okay.

P.Singhof likes this.
  5. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

My time with the military, back in the 60s, taught me that a tank is the second worst place to be in case of conflict.
    Thje first one being a submarine.

6. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    Nice insulting post....William having a "civilized" conversation again...

Bas and stavura like this.
  7. Canuck550

Canuck550 Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2015
    Incognito
    Full Name:
    RJA
    Like any sport the game evolves, safety is demanded... lets look at Football, Hockey, baseball....to name a few
    All have evolved to make the sport safer, and the sport is better for it, faster and more competitive
    This too shall pass with all the naysayers in a couple years of evolution with the halo in place

william likes this.
  8. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

If you disagree with my post, and think it is insulting, I hope you have reported it as you should.
    So, I wait the call from the moderators on the subject, and will accept their verdict.
    In the meantime, please allow me to have my own opinions.

9. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    To say he would have enjoyed people being crushed and burnt has nothing to do with "your opinion"!!!!!

Gesendet von meinem SM-G930F mit Tapatalk

stavura and Bas like this.
  10. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

It's my way to illustrate what I wanted to say: by shocking my interlocutor.

It may be gorry to you, but it goes straight to the point.

If you are not ready to back safety concerns, you should accept the consequences.

My God Singhof, I hope you didn't faint reading this !!!

11. Patrick Dixon

Patrick Dixon Formula 3

Mar 27, 2012
    UK
    Maybe she should just stop him racing? Ultimately there is no need to put humans in the cars at all.

12. fer312t

fer312t Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2010
    Accepting or wanting the sport to remain to some degree dangerous... and wanting to see people killed or injured - there is actually a giant distinction between the two. To suggest people that are against the Halo want to see people injured - not remotely fair imo.

G. Pepper and P.Singhof like this.
  13. Dino2010

Dino2010 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2006
    Belgium
    You permit yourself a lot by writing these comments, young man....
    If you believe I would get any satisfaction from reading about drivers being killed in F1, you are more than confused.
    I won't even discuss further on this matter with you. You wouldn't understand.

stavura and P.Singhof like this.
  14. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    You do not have to address me as your god, Peter would do ;)
    But be assured, nothing you can say here will ever make me faint...I still thinks it is insulting and obviously I am not the only one that believes that you adopt the wrong tone!

stavura likes this.
  15. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    Knowing "mothers" I would not be surprised she would if she could....

16. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I am 70 this fall, and far from being a "Young man" !

Anyway, questioning why drivers needed protection was quite insensitive.
    Also by suggesting that bringing new safety rules was a disgrace to the sport, you did set the tone and you could only expect a stern rebuke.
    I marshalled at motor racing events when it was far more dangerous, and picked up casualties that could have been saved. I lost a few friends. too
    Like most sensible people, I welcomed every effort made to make it less lethal.
    Coming last in the long list of safety features introduced in the last few decades, the halo (with all his imperfection) is an genuine attempt to save more lives..
    To trivialise safety is really beyond comprehension.; it's all I have to say on the matter.

17. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Did you report me as I told you?

Singhof, I am going to propose you as moderator.

You know what us Brits say: " If the cap fits, wear it !"

18. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    John Surtees son Henry was killed by a tire into the cockpit.

tifoso2728 likes this.
  19. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    Why would I, you did not insult me...so if "The Strad" is OK with this...
    I think that you do not even realize that you imply that he is not "a sensible person"...
    For some reasons this is how all your discussions end...you say your opinion and basically close with "period". Why do you actually post in this forum if you are not interested in other people´s opinion as they are always wrong and you are always right? It somehow always ends in your monologues...

stavura likes this.
  20. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Facts can be argued, but an opinion is not up for discussion. I hear other people's opinions, but I won't take them on board: I have mine !
    Would you spend time discussing fire prevention, for example, with someone who doesn't believe in the need for a fire brigade?
    There come a point when no further exchange is possible at a polite level, and it's most sensible to end the conversation.
    I hate people who try to convince me of anything; they get nowhere. .

I noticed that a few people share my points of view on different subjects on this forum though ....
    So don't try to make it that I am some sort of lunatic who doesn't know what he is talking about !

21. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    Interesting take on "discussions". You will listen to other peoples opinion but they will never ever change yours, no matter how good their arguments might be...
    So what is the sense to have a discussion? Only killing time?
    Good for you when a few people share your view, maybe you can "discuss" with them in future
    As you Brits say:
    ;)

22. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    You can clearly see the tyre missed the side bolster where LeC is sitting in the 2nd picture, that's even more proof the Halo did nothing.

He was hit on the top of his head from a bouncing tyre, the gap in the Halo would do nothing to stop that accident.

Tyre tethers would of prevented that death.

23. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #398 TheMayor, Aug 30, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
    I propose that science is much better than myth.

The science appears to show that the Halo did nothing in this case. If others like myth, they are welcome to it.

There is no question that Halo could save lives. The question is -- did it in this case. The evidence is pretty clear that's a "no".

What we should thank is the CF tub and roll bar. THAT is what saved both of their lives.

Here is the irony of added safety measures.

If this accident occurred in the 70's, for sure we would have 2 or 3 dead or seriously injured people today.

The irony is that an accident like this probably would never have happened because drivers KNEW such a move by Hulkenberg would have been fatal -- and probably to him.

Drivers drive a lot more faster and a lot more aggressively now because of the added safety. We, as spectators, like it and we like risk and reward. The more we watch, the more risks they take.

The very definition of irony: Increased safety drives more unsafe driving maneuvers.

Patrick Dixon, Jaguar36 and SPEEDCORE like this.
  24. Dino2010

Dino2010 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2006
    Belgium
    W
    The best solution with a guy like that, is to put him on ignore. It's what I just did.

25. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    Well said. I also feel drivers themselves become less safe in their behavior when the consequences for their mistakes are mitigated by clumsy intrusions into the race car's design that may give them a false sense of security. The Halo may...MAY have saved Leclerc from injury...and it if had been in use in the past it may have done nothing in Senna's crash or in Massa's being hit by a flying object. I am thankful whenever a crash happens and the driver walks away. Perhaps harsher penalties for reckless driving would be more in order.

All that said, my own racing was limited to vintage racing a couple of Alfas and I deeply loved my competition harness, roll bar, fuel cell and helmet.