Guys with pickup trucks that never haul anything. | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Guys with pickup trucks that never haul anything.

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by TeamF1Jr, Jun 6, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    I have always had a truck. Rangers or F150's. Have hauled and towed just about everything imaginable with those, the few times I needed a bigger truck I'd call a buddy.
    The rangers are great cheap DD's when you get the 4cyl 5spd. 25+mpg, thrown engines, firewood, sod and mulch in the bed. Does it all. Just slowly lol

2. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    Trucks driven by city slickers make great second hand trucks when they need to get the newest gizmo.

Our Platinum Edition F350 diesel has hauled just about everything and I get stopped a few times a month by neighbors who want me to haul something off for them to the farm to burn.

3. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    The only trucks I object to are the ones with the needlessly loud exhaust packages. A street-driven detailed 4x4 shouldn't be sounding like it is prepped for some major off-road event or pulling. It shouldn't be audible from inside my house from out on the main road 3 houses away.
    In particular I can't stand the 2 pinheads (literally - they're on 'roids and their heads are no longer proportional to their bodies) who visit my neighbor. I shouldn't have stuff in my house rattling because of their trucks. I really shouldn't be aware of their comings and goings at all - but I am - can't ignore them. /rantover

4. LBBP

LBBP Formula Junior

The back of my F250 Diesel is seldom used for hauling much other than the odd building supplies. Mainly it stays hooked to my car hauling trailer.

5. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    uses of a truck...

1) payload (materials)
    2) towing
    3) offroad - clearance
    4) traction 4x4 - snow or off-road

side benefits that shouldn't be primary ownership factors they drive great on highway minus off-road tires and great visibility sitting high. also most trucks have enough power to give sports cars a go off the line.

reason trucks make terrible city only vehicles are gas mileage and size/maneuverability. also RWD trucks have about the worse wet/ice pavement traction of any vehicle.

6. 11506apollo

11506apollo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2008
    Tx Co Ca
    I miss my 2000 F250 short bed truck. Used it to haul a boat, dirt, furniture, luggage, people, etc. Most versatile vehicle you will ever own. invested $5k over its 15 year long service life in radiator, water pump, alternator, suspension, starter, etc., and sold it at 285k miles for $7,000 probably still working hard out there.

7. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    My b in law is one of those guys with a pickup that never hauls anything. Born and bred on Long Island and thinks he's a cowboy out west. Always drives with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth and no seat belt, wants to be the Marlboro Man.

8. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    #33 tomc, Jun 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2017

Although trying to talk sense into in laws is a losing proposition, you may wish to alert your bro in law to the following...

"Four men who claimed to have appeared in Marlboro-related advertisements—Wayne McLaren, David McLean, Dick Hammer and Eric Lawson[22] —died of smoking-related diseases, thus earning Marlboro cigarettes, specifically Marlboro Reds, the nickname "Cowboy killers".[23]"

From wiki.

T

9. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Drive what you want, it don't bother me none. :D

I don't have a pickup, I just don't like 'em, but most of my neighbors do, and they look at the Mercedes a little funny when I drive by.

I don't begrudge them their pick 'em ups, although I wonder what most of my octogenarian neighbors do with them, they aren't going to the Red Neck Yacht Club, down Punta Gorda, that's for sure.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxsQkFmwtEs[/ame]

D

10. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    This is VERY TRUE.

I always played around with the idea of buying a 7 series... but... I needed to tow... so I bought a navigator and I loved it... then I went to get another navigator and it was the same damn truck I bought 3 years earlier... I saw an f150 platinum and it was light years ahead of the navigator plus the ecoboost came out and I bought one of the first ones delivered in AZ. It worked well for me because the dealer didn't think they were ever going to be able to seel a 52k msrp truck with a v6... I paid like 41k for that truck... about a month later everyone wanted ecoboosts and prices went up (well they weren't given away)

Since then I use the living hell out of my trucks and I buy nice trucks... and I don't ever want an s class or a bentley or anything... I just like my truck...

Plus I have one of those ecodiesels and holy **** is this thing awesome

11. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Glad to hear you areusing and enjoying your trucks.... I don't like or ever want a truck... just like my S class, Pcars and Fcar. If I ever need a truck would either hire a haul or rent a truck for the job. The closes I come to a truck is a Cayenne, which we use toting stuff and ski trips, different folks enjoy different stuff.

12. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    come to the dark side... come on... do it...

we have cookies :)

13. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    this type of fun similar to track driving! this is our 2001 Tundra.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XsJAm3tNsg[/ame]

14. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Hahahahaha good try. I know if I ever get a truck my wife will be absolutely sure I have lost all my marbles and have me immediately committed.

15. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Can't tell this guy anything, he already knows it all. He won't wear a seatbelt because " nobody is gonna tell me what to do." A real b in law...

16. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
  17. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    My Tundra is parked out back, attached to the trailer with race car, off to LRP tomorrow. My wheels tires tools jack gas you name it fits easily in the bed.
    On friday I will take the family and enough food coolers etc to feed 10 to lake house where we'll use it to put the boat in and out the water.

On saturday we'ree off to collect a big couch from my parents.

Never had a truck before 2016. Its great for towing, for hauling lots of stuff and boats etc. Its a bit of a pain on small roads and even on winding highway a car would be more comfortable to drive.

However it does what is needed is unsurpassed for towing. I do maybe 8k miles per year in it. Didnt use it all winter, frankly a midsize suv is easier and better in snow and I dont tow in winter.

I am pretty sure a ford F150 is more of a limo and if you lived down south or out west where roads are big straight and wide it woudl be an ideal comfortable can do everyday vehicle.

Mostly the truck reminds me of the big fords my father had when I was a kid, big cheap rugged and can do anything. Mass space and excess power are great luxury. The old big american body on frame car morphed into a truck. If you can sue its attributes nothign else comes close.

As to urban cowboys, they provide great used trucks.