Gun Thread | FerrariChat

Gun Thread

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by AuburnStephanie, Apr 17, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AuburnStephanie

AuburnStephanie Karting

Apr 10, 2008
    Irvine, CA
    Full Name:
    Stephanie M
    Is there really no gun thread? I searched, and couldn't find one. So correct me if I'm wrong. :)

Don't know how many people out there are into guns, but it is a newly found passion for me.

Just last year, I shot my dream gun. And though it's nothing special, and really isn't a good gun for target practice, it still is one amazing gun.

I have a picture of me shooting it, but I can't post pictures because I'm not subscribed :(

Anyway, it's a Desert Eagle 50. I am in love with that gun. That and the Smith & Wesson .357 Magnum.

Please, share any pics or favorites of yours...

2. JamesSimpson

JamesSimpson F1 Rookie

Jun 29, 2005
    Toronto,CANADA
    Full Name:
    James Simpson
    email them to me and i'll put it up for you... [email protected] and it's only $15/year to subscribe WELL WORTH IT!

3. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    Stephanie, there have been occasional "gun threads" in the other section. My "dream gun" was always the 9mm Luger.

I have a Luger story: When I finally had the chance to buy one (I guess about 25 years ago now), it came in a fitted display box, with two magazines, a loading tool, the factory (Mauser!) manuals and test firing target, etc. The previous owner was an Oklahoma City oil speculator who found himself a little down on his luck at the time - we met at the gun range down on 10th street & lake Overholser to do the deal.

I gave him my cash, and then asked for a box of FMJ 9mm rounds. He could not believe it! - he said "I have owned that gun since 1970 and have never even fired it". I said, well - it's about time somebody did (besides the factory inspectors). I went into the range, and a small crowd gathered behind the observation window.

The first shot was about 25 yards, simple round target, and it made the second ring a little high and right. But, the good part was what the brass did. A Luger throws the brass right straight up in the air, not to the side. My brass went right straight up into the 2-foot fluorescent tube above my lane and the glass fragments showered down all over my head and shoulders. The small crowd desperately wanted to laugh out loud, but kept their respect for their fellow man. They just made a thumbs up, and gave a small little clapping ovation.

We did have a few beers and a good laugh about it afterward.

BTW, yes - the former owner was given the honor of the second round.

James

4. AuburnStephanie

AuburnStephanie Karting

Apr 10, 2008
    Irvine, CA
    Full Name:
    Stephanie M
    Haha, great story!! That was really funny.

I also have a pic of me shooting the DE 50 and when it shoots, it twists your wrist a little, and no matter how hard I try, my little wrists just aren't strong enough, so pretty much every shell hits me in the head! The picture I have is perfect, the gun is cocked all the way back, the gun is nearly pointing to the sky, my sunglasses are in the middle of falling off my face, and the shell is about to hit me in the head. Haha. Not sure if I'm comfortable sharing any pics though until someone goes first. :)

5. 8 SNAKE

8 SNAKE F1 Veteran

Jan 5, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Stephanie,

Go ahead and post the pics. We'll be nice!

I'd have to say that my current favorite is my Cooper Model 21 in .204 Ruger. It's a fantastic rifle that blends beauty and superb accuracy in a way that few can match. Last year I took the rifle on a prairie dog hunt in Wyoming and whacked one at 663 yards.

6. ChunkyMonkey

ChunkyMonkey Formula 3

Feb 27, 2006
    Texas, duh
    Full Name:
    Chad
    Hmmmm...I don't know if I have any from the range. I have a few guns. My goal is to get a Barrett 50 cal rifle, like the M95. No specific reason, just take out to the family ranch for a little fun shoot, idk.

7. JamesSimpson

JamesSimpson F1 Rookie

Jun 29, 2005
    Toronto,CANADA
    Full Name:
    James Simpson
    #7 JamesSimpson, Apr 17, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    here's me with my one of my driver's glock's when i was living in tel-aviv...can't find the shooting range pics....and i'm bald now...i have some more with my buddies m-16 somewhere as well wearing one of the government issued gas mask that every household without a bomb shelter is required to have..
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. AuburnStephanie

AuburnStephanie Karting

Apr 10, 2008
    Irvine, CA
    Full Name:
    Stephanie M
    Sweet!

Ok, when I get home I'll email the pics to you, James :)

9. justhrowit

justhrowit Formula 3

Feb 12, 2004
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Jay D.
    I guess my dream gun at this point would just be a new Beretta Xtrema II for the duck blind. As for a pistol, I'm pretty happy with the XD45.

J

10. JamesSimpson

JamesSimpson F1 Rookie

Jun 29, 2005
    Toronto,CANADA
    Full Name:
    James Simpson
    #10 JamesSimpson, Apr 17, 2008
    sweet as i'm sweet? aww thanks! just kidding...no sweat email them and i'll put them up for you.

here's one...i foung the baggiest clothes i could....
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. SGM

SGM F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 27, 2006
    Rockville, MD
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #11 SGM, Apr 17, 2008
  12. AuburnStephanie

AuburnStephanie Karting

Apr 10, 2008
    Irvine, CA
    Full Name:
    Stephanie M
    I can't wait to start my collection.

My dad has 2. One is an old rifle from his dad. The other is a H&K USP 45 Full Size. I love that gun. It has just enough kick to let you know it's there, but you can still be acurate with it.

My dad was in the Army, and he was rated "excellent shot". Which is like 5% of the Army. He really is good too.

13. 8 SNAKE

8 SNAKE F1 Veteran

Jan 5, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I came close to buying an Xtrema II last weekend. I ended up with a Benelli Super Black Eagle instead. I liked the slimmer look and feel of the Benelli, but the Xtrema II was a very close second. Turkey season opens on Monday and I fully intend to test the performance of my new scatter gun in the woods.

14. TRScotty

TRScotty F1 Rookie
    Owner

Oct 12, 2006
    Tyler, Texas
    Full Name:
    Scotty
    If anyone has a nice HK 91 or CTME(sp) for sale, please shoot a PM.

I would like the HK, but they're hard to find here in East TX.

15. Buzz48317

Buzz48317 F1 Rookie

Dec 5, 2005
    Shelby Twp., MI
    Full Name:
    Michael
    What do you think of the bushmaster? I had a Colt AR-15 H-bar with an ACOG at one time. Sold it to buy an engagement ring, I think that I traded up but I do still miss it.

16. yoda

yoda F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2004
    UT
    My twin brother has a similar rating in the Marines. He is also a certified rifle shooting instructor and used to teach the new recruits at the shooting range. He owns a .50 Desert Eagle and a couple others. Right now all I have is a lowly Hi-Point 9mm handgun, although I have to admit it shoots well and hasn't jammed yet after ~500 rounds through it. I go shooting once a month or so just for the fun of it.

17. AuburnStephanie

AuburnStephanie Karting

Apr 10, 2008
    Irvine, CA
    Full Name:
    Stephanie M
    Ya, I love going to the range, but I'd rather go to 29 Palms. Test all ways of target practice.

And you can blow things up...who doesn't like that?!

18. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    Are you wanting a real deal HK or will a clone suffice? I was looking at HK91s but really didn't want to pay the hugely inflated price so I ended up buying a PTR-91 which is really high quality clone made on HK tooling here in the US. The quality is outstanding though it's a little heavy as they all have heavy match barrels.

19. Dave328

Dave328 Formula 3

Nov 24, 2002
    Katy
    Full Name:
    Dave
    CETME ;)
    Good luck! I picked mine up for $250 NIB a few years ago before the price explosion. Lucked out and got one of the good ones. It'll shoot 2" groups at 300 yds, which is plenty accurate for me! ;)

Dave

20. ferraridude615

ferraridude615 F1 Veteran

May 4, 2006
    Texas
    #20 ferraridude615, Apr 17, 2008
  21. ChunkyMonkey

ChunkyMonkey Formula 3

Feb 27, 2006
    Texas, duh
    Full Name:
    Chad
    YES, very nice...10 round magazine. I wouldn't even mind the single shot bolt action. But it has to have the fluted barrel.

22. JamesSimpson

JamesSimpson F1 Rookie

Jun 29, 2005
    Toronto,CANADA
    Full Name:
    James Simpson
  23. AuburnStephanie

AuburnStephanie Karting

Apr 10, 2008
    Irvine, CA
    Full Name:
    Stephanie M
    Haha, thanks. Makes me laugh every time! haha.

24. Billy10mm

Billy10mm Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Westchester
    Full Name:
    Billy Ng
    My first was a Glock 19. Still have it, though it may go soon to make way for something I've got my eye on.

Accidentally bought a 4" 1911 (Kimber Custom Carry in black) after that. I say accidentally because I had intended to order a 5" model and fubar'd the order form. Because of the snafu, I sold the 4" and picked up a 5" Kimber Custom Stainless - that is now my wife's gun.

Fell in love with the .40 cal round sometime after that and bought 2 Glock 23s. Not sure why I bought two, later sold one but the remaining 23 has over 30K rounds through it and is my carry gun.

Had a Beretta 92FS for a short while ... sold it. Too boring to shoot and too hard to clean compared to my Glocks.

My local shop had a .40cal Springfield 1911 in Stainless with rosewood grips one day, put down a deposit on the spot and went to apply for another owners permit (lived in Jersey at the time and had to have a new permit for every gun you bought). I had spent a small fortune over the years at that shop so they would let me shoot it at their range whenever I wanted while I waited for the paperwork - was a dream to shoot. Due to a family crisis, I stop going to the range for about a month (at the time I had been going 3 times a week minimum) but stop in when I finally get the paperwork to pick up the Springer. Only problem is they can't find the gun. They look for 2 hours, its nowhere to be found. Owner's wife checks the sales logs and yep - they sold it as a new gun (I had easily put 2K rounds through it) to some other guy. I got my deposit refunded but I was still pyssed.

Decided I wanted a rifle, got a Bushmaster AR-15 A1. Military specs basically. No way to mount scope unless I hacked off the carry handle, stuck using iron sights - was a poor purchase for my needs but kept it cause it was still cool as hell. Everytime I went to the range I would tighten up my stance and my grip and my groups would get worse (I'm talking 3" groups at 100 yards - pitiful). Decided I needed a bolt action for accuracy. (I later figure out that without a free-floating handguard, my "tightening" is torquing the barrel and causing my accuracy issues).

Got a Remington 700 in .308 with a 20" barrel and a synthetic stock. Put a 10x Leupold on it. Take it to the range, put it on a sandbag. First two shots make 1 ragged hole at 100 yards - I'm happy. Third and fourth shots look like flyers - 2 inches from original point of impact and I KNOW I didn't flinch or pull either of them. Spend 6 months trying different loads, custom loads, boattail hollowpoints, different weights, different powders, different scope mounts, different scope ... you name it. Neither me nor my extremely skilled shooting buddy can manage to get better than 1 in 10 triple-shot groups to be 1MOA or better. Constantly getting these weird flyers that make no sense. Frustrated, I sell the gun to my buddy who pays me fairly well considering he knows it can't shoot. 2 weeks later Remington issues a recall for a series of barrels that left the factory bent ... bingo. Send the rifle back to Remington and when it comes back it shoots about 3/4 MOA consistently.

Fed up with rifles temporarily, my interest is restored when the same friend decides he wants the upper-end off my Bushy. He's got 5 ARs of varying uses and decides he wants a plain jane military style issue with iron sights as a close-range gun for coyote sniping on his property in PA. Offers to trade me his 24", DPMS Arms, 1"-thick bull barreled, floating tubed, recessed crown, upper in .223 - straight up trade. This thing shoot .47 MOA (10-rounds) with American Eagle FMJ ammo. With Georgia Arms BTHP I'm getting almost 1/4MOA with no wind. Next thing I know, I can't miss and this makes things kinda boring. Still have the rifle but sold off the $1K scope I'd put on it so it's sitting in my closet doing nothing. Thinking about getting rid of it and picking up new DPMS in .308 so I'm not as affected by wind.

The new handgun I'm thinking about is another 1911 since the wife has laid claim to my Kimber. I want a 5" Fusion (http://www.fusionfirearms.com) in .40 or 10mm (haven't decided that one yet) with the red coccoboa grips, stainless finish, Novak low-mount tritium sights, and an extended magwell.

Bill

25. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Apparently wearing ear plugs, otherwise you'd be saying Huh? for quite a while :)