GTR Sales....ouch | Page 2 | FerrariChat

GTR Sales....ouch

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by jimmyb, Mar 10, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mr. Francesco

Mr. Francesco F1 Rookie

Oct 10, 2010
    Full Name:
    Mr. Francesco
    #26 Mr. Francesco, Mar 17, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2011
    I rarely see GTR's around my area, and most of the dealerships have none in the showrooms. I'm curious to how sales will be for the 2012 models though. I think they have made some good changes to this car.

In my opinion the Skyline GTR's always have appealed to a younger generation in America, and when Nissan finally brought the GTR over here, it's price point didn't fit in with those who actually want these cars. I want a GTR and can't afford one where as my father could afford this type of car, but wouldn't give it the time of the day. It's going to be interesting to see what happens once these cars get a little older and start selling for 30 - 40k used.

2. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I had the Gallardo out last night and I saw a GTR (black one), it was the very first time I had ever seen one in person. Being older and totally untechy (I have a cell phone that only makes phone calls I do not even text), email is about as far I my ability takes me, I remember reading about the car and saying nope not for me do not care how fast it is (of course I would never own a AWD sporty car, so it would have had to have been converted) I'm sure it is a very nice car, but someone like me who likes their cars a bit more like a car, it would never be on my list to even want to drive let alone own.

3. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

I can confirm that guarantee for you. I did just that recently.

Not only does it need much more brake on modern tracks, but it needs more front tire everywhere. At the limit, it simply pushes when you pick up the throttle. That's why the tuned cars run the same tires front and rear, I suppose.

I can see why that brake set up works on the Nordschliefe, there's more flow and less hard braking there.

4. Northwest 550

Northwest 550 Karting

May 20, 2009
    Washington State
    Full Name:
    Brown M. Maloney
    Regarding the NSX, As CRAIGY mentioned above, only a few were sold over each of the last decade. In fact, we have a 2001 NSX, and just 167 were sold for that year. Yet Acura still produced them for five more years.

If Nissan produced and delivered 800 GTR's for 2010, that is still a very good number. I suspect this was a budgeted plan build around the overall economy.

Consider this : Ferrari only produced 100 "regular" F430's for their last (2009) year. I was told by my dealer that based on the world economy, that this was the budgeted number for North America delivery. High valued cars will not be sent over to gather dust. They want them pre-sold.

That aside, it is now April 2011 and you want the updated 2012 GT-R.

If you have not pre-ordered this new GT-R, you will find it already difficult in locating one to purchase. It is already known just 800-to-1000 will come into the US for 2012 and at this time virtually all have a customer's name attached to it. I know this, as of the incoming cars has our name on it.

That said, keep in mind only 60% of Nissan dealers are signed up for this program. Most will get two (or less).

An amazing car for a relatively small amount of money. If you have an interest, start to build a relation with a GT-R dealer. You can get a car, but having a connection - and having them know your interest will get your GT-R. Keep in mind however, you may have to wait a few months.

5. kosmo

kosmo Formula 3

Oct 19, 2008
    BIg D
    very true. i've driven an '10 on the street and around the track.
    However, despite being a 911 owner, I would consider the GTR.

6. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    i ordered my 2012 gtr in feb when there was little interest in them. i got 3k off sticker price and dealer agreed he would hold the car until mid june when my porsche lease ended regardless of when gtr came in.

new situation now that japan tragedy slowed production. customers waiting for black edition cars to be delivered this summer are canceling those orders to get premium editions that are already at dealers. this change in supply and demand has my dealer telling me to take delivery now or he will sell to someone else. im not happy but i do want the car so were trying to negotiate a compromise.

7. boiseferrari

boiseferrari Formula 3

Nov 11, 2005
    Boise, Id.
    Full Name:
    Kriss
    The GTR certified Nissan dealer in my area has a new silver 2009 in the showroom. They sold 3 09's (one went to the owner of the dealership) and 1 2010. The one in the showroom has clear bra over almost the entire car.

8. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    That sounds surprising, but I'm sure the situation in Idaho is quite different from here in SoCal.

9. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    There is a bit of money up there, but I'm sure flashy furrin cars don't go over as easily with the kinfolk.

10. bounty

bounty F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    GT-Rs are all over the place in the Naperville, IL area. 2 in my neighborhood alone. I think they are a neat car. Definitely way down on my list of cars I'd own, but not because it is bad, but because there are cars out there I'd want more.

11. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Nope they sure don't.

12. AlexO91

AlexO91 F1 Rookie

Sep 26, 2008
    NW England
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Ive seen a few GT-R's and they don't sound anything like they do in videos which for me is a good thing. And also if you are buying a stock new car you can't go faster for the price. I would buy one in an instant. Also the the 2011 onwards car doesn't void the warranty.

13. kosmo

kosmo Formula 3

Oct 19, 2008
    BIg D
    yes, the Eco in Idaho is better then SoCal.

14. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    However great it may be, what do you do with a GTR in the USA. It wilts on the track, and is way too much car to enjoy on the street, I mean where are the roads it can be used on and deployed on. This is where porche scores with the GT3 it can be tracked all day and not wilt, so its performance is at least usable. The rest of the 911's are really pose cars as is the GTR for no other reason than in this country they are not usable, and are when driven moderatly just uncomfortable noisy cars.

15. Dino V

Dino V Formula 3

Sep 21, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Dino
    The GT-Rs in the chicagoland area sell fast especially when going for sticker now that the over-sticker hype is done.

16. starboy444

starboy444 F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Lucas
    There are about 15 GTR 's listed on EBAY right now.

Looks like prices are slowly being pushed down from mid $80k to high $60k recently.

If one could purchase a lightly used GTR for the high $50k's (good deal) you would own a serious piece of machinery, for much less than any Porsche 911 of the same calibre.

17. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    My friend's grandpa was a farmer there on the WA/ID border, she said back in the 80s he bought a 911 and then kept it in a barn for a decade for fear of what the neighbors thought. Friends from Tri-cities and my inlaws in Spokane confirm that money there lays low...

18. kosmo

kosmo Formula 3

Oct 19, 2008
    BIg D
    yes, and i bet the majority of them were on YouTUbe.

19. boiseferrari

boiseferrari Formula 3

Nov 11, 2005
    Boise, Id.
    Full Name:
    Kriss
    +1

The Porsche dealer does pretty well. They get 911 Turbo's and GT3 and they sell pretty quick considering. The local Ford dealers sold a bunch of GT's (in context of course) and sell a lot of GT500, Roush and Saleen Mustangs. Their are at least 3 Bentley CGT's and an Arnage in the area. The Mercedes dealer has delivered 3 SLS's and has a G55 ($125k+) on the lot. High end cars sell pretty well up here but I just don't think the GTR is "prestigious" enough for the crowd that spends that money. The older money buys Mercedes and the people who are in the younger demographic that I believe is more GTR buy $60,000 heavy duty pickups and put $20k worth of lift, wheels, tires and stereo in it.

20. boiseferrari

boiseferrari Formula 3

Nov 11, 2005
    Boise, Id.
    Full Name:
    Kriss
    #45 boiseferrari, Apr 21, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2011
    I'll agree with that. I would be certain that the Bentleys in my above post don't belong to natives.

21. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    I'd never consider one because you can't get a real 6 speed. I think there are still a lot of traditionalists out there. Not to mention replaced an f1 style transmission is frightening for most.

22. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    But that is reportedly the case with the new version of the Porsche GT3 as well.

I think the problem with this car is that it is ugly.

23. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    It is fast, which isn't used that often. It looks like a sedan, not a sports car.

What is the market? 30 y/0? Porsche. Older? Anything but Nissan.